Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after looking at the Boxster (huge Porsche guy), BMW Z3 & Z4, Audi TT, 350Z and Miata (not as much).

I really hadn't considered Soltice or Sky........but late in my convertible search I decided to look at them and with the benifits of getting a newer car and lower KM car then the above listed for similar dollars I started to sway that way. After we test drove a couple we really liked tham and now that I am a little older some of the things that I have loved about my Porsches I was willing to sacrifice to get a more practicle, reliable car that is probably better looking then all it's competitors.

After our first weekend we are really impressed and can't wait to head to the mountains with our new purchase.

It's only the NA and automatic, but still a real fun car to drive.....no it's not going to handle like my Porsches did, but I don't expect it to. Just a fun little GREAT looking car to drive!!!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats.

there is no using the word "only" when describing your solstice!

and don't sell the handling short.

:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
congrats... some stiff competition there. Glad you ended up with the Solstice. Honestly, why wouldnt the Solstice handle as good or better than the porsche with it's 50/50 weight and double wishbones? I have driven a few Boxsters btw...

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
woohoo!

You can always add DDM's supercharger kit if you feel you want a a good reliable kick in the pants. I did and love it!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Congrats. Also, don't forget about performance enhancements. The 2.4 can be supercharged and the suspension tightened by a DDM Backbeam & Probeam, and LatinVenom front crossmember. JPM is an excellent resource if you want to spiff up your interior.

However, best bet is to look in the supporting vendors area to see what products are available and hook up with members in your area who will be happy to show you how they've customized their car to their taste.

Sound like a broken record but invest in some lifting pucks and never shut the hood while the doors are fully open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
congrats... some stiff competition there. Glad you ended up with the Solstice. Honestly, why wouldnt the Solstice handle as good or better than the porsche with it's 50/50 weight and double wishbones? I have driven a few Boxters btw...

Why wouldnt it handle as good as a Porsche.....ummmm cause it's NOT a Porsche!!

UNDERSTEER!! :)

Nothing wrong with that though, I love it, fun car to drive!!! Very happy with my purchase!!!

Shut the hood when the doors are fully open?? What's that about??

·
Registered
431 Posts
congrats. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
29 Posts
After we test drove a couple we really liked tham and now that I am a little older some of the things that I have loved about my Porsches I was willing to sacrifice to get a more practicle, reliable car that is probably better looking then all it's competitors.
Did you just called Kappa a "practical" car? Hmm, let's see - about 5 cubic inches in the cabin plus a tiny glove box. With top down, there is almost no space in the trunk... The Boxter actually have trunk that is available with top down. I hear people fedex their cloth ahead of time to a vacation hotel so they can drive with top down in Solstice over there.;)
By the way, welcome and enjoy the ride!:thumbs:

·
Registered
263 Posts
And thank god it's not, otherwise it would be an overpriced and mediocre vehicle and most (notive I say most) of the owners would be total D bags

·
Registered
431 Posts
And thank god it's not, otherwise it would be an overpriced and mediocre vehicle and most (notive I say most) of the owners would be total D bags
And could you imagine the maintenance costs!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

UNDERSTEER!! :)

Nothing wrong with that though, I love it, fun car to drive!!! Very happy with my purchase!!!

Shut the hood when the doors are fully open?? What's that about??
If you shut the hood with the doors fully open you can damage one or the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, owned 4 Porsche so far.......nothing mediocre about them!! That is why people including myself are willing to pay more money for them and more money to upkeep them. Plain and simple.

I also don't consider myself a D-bag in my previous Porsches or my Solstice!!

Did I mention I love our Solstice! :) Such a fun little car.:thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you just called Kappa a "practical" car? Hmm, let's see - about 5 cubic inches in the cabin plus a tiny glove box. With top down, there is almost no space in the trunk... The Boxter actually have trunk that is available with top down. I hear people fedex their cloth ahead of time to a vacation hotel so they can drive with top down in Solstice over there.;)
By the way, welcome and enjoy the ride!:thumbs:
Already have my specially made for Solstice luggage to avaoid that problem!!:thumbs:

We are used to travelling on Snowmobiles for a week at a time so we are accustomed to having to pack for a vehicle such as this.

Yes ALL my Porsche's though have had tons of more storage then my Solstice but I knew that when I made my decision. By practical I meant a 40-50 dollar oil change NOT a 200-300 dollar oil change. That is more what I was getting at.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
dt - I don't know if your argument holds water. I mean, I've seen a few sleds that have more storage space than a Sol. :lol:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
If you shut the hood with the doors fully open you can damage one or the other.
Well, crumb! I didn't know that! I will leave my doors open from this point forward when I close my hood. BTW, I know I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have owned 63 cars since I was 16 including a Vette, a '56 Chevy Nomad, and a 55 Chevy two-door hardtop, and I love my Sol the very most!! I have never owned such a fun, beautiful, head-turning car in my life. I will always own this car! :cool:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Dt 3275, welcome to the forum and please enjoy your sol !! I understand you perfectly. I stopped driving Mercedes Benzs 2 years ago. Had a CLK, SLK and wife had C320 wagon. Loved to drive Mercs.... But hated the $350 oil change and quarterly replacement of light bulbs and sensors for much more $$$. Mercs have style and performance, but quality has gone down since the Berlin Wall fell. I drive 25K miles per year and burn thru the factory warranty quickly. You can buy a new LNF engine for $3,500. That money will not buy you much in Stuttgart....

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Well, crumb! I didn't know that! I will leave my doors open from this point forward when I close my hood. BTW, I know I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have owned 63 cars since I was 16 including a Vette, a '56 Chevy Nomad, and a 55 Chevy two-door hardtop, and I love my Sol the very most!! I have never owned such a fun, beautiful, head-turning car in my life. I will always own this car! :cool:
NO! Make sure the doors are CLOSED before closing the hood!:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts