Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 3199 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Rob, I think most of that stuff is stock on the early pontiacs. And they were straight egiths. I used to have a 51 2 door hard top, actually bought it in Leadville and drove it home to California in 1988. All original, light green with Forest green top and green leather interior. They were beautiful cars. I also restored a 1955 Chieftan with lighted hood ornament. Lot of chrome and stainless on those things.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Dang! I didn't see that this rolled over to another page. Rob's post was 399,998 and I thought Chop's was 399,999. I thought for sure it was me. I missed it by a mile.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Chop,
I'm me your address so I can send you a Punisher coin and some stuff
PM sent.

Yeah, I did enter three separate postings for this thread, one right after the other, but I see that it only displayed one.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,070
Had the PunisheR out for a ride. Doing well. No more signs of oil leaks. Apparently I have defeated them LOL. Extreme measures were taken! All is good. Now that the club event season is over I can spend the next 6 months working on the cars.

I did get my new diesel generator up and running. Its a 6kw single cylinder engine in a "quiet" housing. I built a shed for it and lined the inside with sound absorbent material. Its actually fairly quiet. And I am now ready for the next apocalypse LOL. Or maybe just the next blizzard.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
RTE, thank you for the items you shipped me for being #400,000 (I received them last week). The Punisher coin is very cool! All this stuff goes into my memorabilia tote. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,072
I succumbed to peer pressure and ordered stainless steel brake lines for Punisher. I am planning on swapping out the brake fluid in both cars this winter and decided now is the time. I have been happy with the brakes since going to the Hawk pads, but if this makes them even better, I will be happier!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Assuming you're talking about stainless flex lines, in my experience the only real change in performance comes from changing the fluid after they're installed, and the pedal feel is then wrongly associated with the line change. The lines are still the same rubber underneath the stainless sheathing, and that sheathing offers all the rigidity of one of those paper "Chinese finger trap" toys.

But they do look cooler and offer better abrasion and heat resistance.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,074
My only personal experience with going to stainless lines is with my Harley. I had dual disks on my bike and they worked ok but after I added the stainless lines they were much better. Better feel and better performance.

And with the car now being over 11 years old, its time to start replacing the rubber bits that are under load. Hoses are high on my list.

I am not looking for a big improvement in performance but as you say, they look cool and since I am changing them anyway, why not?

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,075 (Edited)
Skip, my detailing guru and teacher upgraded his garage detail shop with a Master Blaster! And he is making it clear that the PunisheR Garage is now less well prepared than HIS garage. So I decided it was time for an upgrade. I looked at the MasterBlaster and while they are great for blowing, I also want to be able to suck as well. I am pretty anal about keeping my RaceDeck floor looking good which means cleaning it pretty much on a daily basis.

So after considerable trade study time I selected this sucker/blower. I found it on Amazon for $50 less from Chemical Guys. I was surprised when it arrived as it was just a straight up Metro Vac box and device. No Chemical Guys decals even. I ordered the wall mount directly from Metro Vac for $50 and the 30 foot hose from Amazon and saved a few bucks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384G2KC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,076
One of my objectives this winter is to finish fabricating sheet metal "covers" to dress up the engine bay and hide all the mechanicals that distract from the beauty of the motor. I started this with the battery cover that covers the area above the battery. Since the battery is right next to the fender vent, cooling is not an issue. Next I am going to do the left side, to cover the area under the overflow bottle.

I bought this film to cover the metal as an experiment. Will see how it turns out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ7U0FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,080
Found time to work on the left side fender cover. In order to fit it will be in two parts (at least) I got the outer cover done and installed. Its an interesting process. I make a template out of foam board and then use that to fab it in aluminum sheet. Once I have it fitting the way I like I covered it with carbon fiber plastic sheet.

My wife came out to call me for dinner and asked "why are you doing that?" Sigh.:kiss:

Attachments

3061 - 3080 of 3199 Posts