Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3277 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
WOW!!! I had not idea you were going thru all of this! I haven't been on the site since it changed over to the new format. Really sorry to hear you have had all these problems and delays.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Well said bigblau & Happy Easter to all. I remember at the 2018 Nassam & Rob the Elder blew some fluid from under his solstice coming up the ramp & casually got out of his solstice & didn't even blink an eye .I probably would have gone into panic mood .

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,243
Fun times. That was a lone to the oil cooler. I pulled it out and no leaks. Checked with Ken. He is still promising it as soon as he can get the airbrush guy to show up. He is an essential business and still open

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,244
Ram Dash.jpg
Finally got tired of the intermittent rattle from the dash on the PunisheR Hauler. Pulled it apart and while I was fixing the problem I painted the instrument cluster surround RED of course.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,245
Decided it was time during the shutdown to get my car hauler updated. It has 6000 pound axles with standard 12 inch drum brakes. They are fine on flat ground. Probably great for Kansas, but going down the hill at the continental divide or over any of several passes in Colorado they overheat and then stop working. So I am having disks installed. That is an interesting process. Since the current brakes are electric, and the disks require hydraulic pressure in the 1600 PSI range, it requires adding an electric over hydraulic pump and hydraulic lines about 20 feet long to each side of the trailer. I could have done it for about $1800 or have the pros do it for $3400. I decided that I did not want to be thinking "did I get that line really sealed" a year from now when going down Wolf Creek pass. So I dropped it off at the trailer shop.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,246
Had snow one day and bright sunny day the next. So I took advantage of the opportunity to clean up and wax the roof of the PunisheR Hauler. While I was at it I pulled the marker lights and sprayed them with Nightshade. They are normally clear but look like crap on the truck so I painted them with Nightshade several years ago. The Nightshade fades over time with the sun and washing till it needs to be reapplied. I do it annually in the spring now. The sunroof makes this cleaning and painting an easy task!

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,247
After a recommendation from a friend, I took a look at the new Element solid state fire extinguisher. You will remember that I installed halon in both trucks and the Punisher. Once I learned that normal CO2 extinguishers can put out an engine fire but likely will ruin the engine in the process I went to the halon. Now these Element extinguishers provide much better performance, are safe for materials and humans and last basically forever. I have been installing them in all my vehicles in the trunk or in the bed. Same position on all of them so I can find it in a time of need. They are a bit more costly but never need to be replaced and work very well.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
After a recommendation from a friend, I took a look at the new Element solid state fire extinguisher. You will remember that I installed halon in both trucks and the Punisher. Once I learned that normal CO2 extinguishers can put out an engine fire but likely will ruin the engine in the process I went to the halon. Now these Element extinguishers provide much better performance, are safe for materials and humans and last basically forever. I have been installing them in all my vehicles in the trunk or in the bed. Same position on all of them so I can find it in a time of need. They are a bit more costly but never need to be replaced and work very well. View attachment 107544
Halon is definitely the way to go IMHO. CO2, because of it's very low temperature when discharged, causes water condensation which is definitely not wanted in electrical devices. Chemical extinguishers such as the general ABC types use what amounts to baking soda for a fire retardant which can be harmful to electrical systems also. Plus, they leave a mess to clean up. Halon leaves no residue and does not create a condensate problem. It simply deprives the fire of oxygen. (where did you get those?)

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells Halon extinguishers for $200 and up depending on size. They also sell a lot of cool tools and other toys.

Most of the Halon bottles I have seen have a rated 12-year life, but I have no idea what that is based on.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells Halon extinguishers for $200 and up depending on size. They also sell a lot of cool tools and other toys.

Most of the Halon bottles I have seen have a rated 12-year life, but I have no idea what that is based on.
They do sell stuff you can't find anywhere else. Last thing I bought from them was a tool for cutting open spin on type oil filters for inspection. didn't think about the halon, will check them out.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,251
Working from home aka lockdown provides opportunities to do more projects. The badge on the tailgate of the Ram lights up RED with the lights. It fades over time to kind of a mottled gray. I periodically spray it with Nightshade to keep it spiffy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,252
I subscribe to the Tank Museum YouTube channel. They offer a nice drink vacuum flask that I could not resist so one now lives in the PunisheR Garage

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,253
Our new this year garage doors are painted. We love the appearance of natural wood and want to keep them looking good. So I decided, what the heck, its just like the Dragon. Lets give it the Adams treatment. Washed, clayed then, polished to make sure they were clean and as perfect as I could make them, then applied ceramic paste wax and buffed them. Now I hit them with ceramic boost once every couple of weeks and they both look great and reject most dirt. Win Win

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,254
When I went to hook up the two car hauler to get the disk brakes installed I found that the ball would not detach when I was done. It is a "hide a goose" hitch that uses a spring loaded pin to retain and release the removable ball. Its designed so you can flip the ball upside down to leave the bed clear for loading. But on the Ram, the tail pipe is right below the receiver so the ball will not fit upside down. Some day I may get it rerouted but that is time and $$$. As a result, and since the bottom of the receiver is open to the ground below, over time the empty receiver is coated with road crud and the ball sticks. I made a brush and cleaned it out so the ball slides in and out easily, but needed to stop the dirt from gunking it up again. So I looked around for a solution and found a rubber plug used to pressure test piping. It is expandable and the right size. I cut it down to shorten the height and installed it. A few bucks and a few minutes and I have a good solution

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,255
So my lovely wife decided that we don't have enough flowers. I found a very nice reproduction 1920s style planter and suggested it. Now we have SIX of them! And they require 6+ bags of soil and potting soil each. So I was making several trips to HD until they RAN OUT! Then I ordered from Walmart! Yes who knew. And they delivered the bags directly to my house for basically the same price of picking them up at HD.

The down side is all those new planters need something to go inside them. So we made four trips to the most expensive purveyor of plants to load up the truck with pretty crap. Then of course I needed to extend the sprinkler system to cover them as well

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,256
When I got the taco I added the LED lighted mirrors. They are plain black which is unacceptable. So prepped and painted the backs PunisheR red and installed them. I like the result

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,257
The builder grade mail boxes in our neighborhood consist of a simple wood 4 by stuck into the ground with a crappy cheap metal box mounted. Every year I have to stain the post to preserve it and keep it from looking really bad. And the paint comes off the box so I am painting it every year. I got tired of this annual process that still ends up with a crappy builder grade mailbox. So I found a nice powder coated unit that is much better made and I can . .. wait for it . . . give the Adams treatment. So its waxed and ceramic coated. I wipe it down every couple of weeks with ceramic boost and it keeps looking great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,258
It was time to get a couple of new bumper stickers made. These are the proofs. Fun designs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,260
After five + years living outside, both the Trax and the Ram have highly faded, sun damaged trim. Most of it I can bring back using the right treatment. The wiper arms were really bad so what the hell. Amazon sent me new wiper arms. I cleaned them well and sprayed them with UV resistant clear coat. They look better than new and should last without fading for a long time.

Attachments

3241 - 3260 of 3277 Posts