Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

3261 - 3277 of 3277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,261
I was looking for something on line and stumbled across this Punisher Minion patch. Its about 2.5 inches wide. How could I not order one? I mean . . . .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,262
I have been working on upgrading the Ram front lighting. I located a nice super bright replacement fog light that includes an led light strip day time running light. A few minutes crawling under the truck and they are working.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,263
Have experimented with different light configurations on the RAM and found the one I like best. Its a 37 inch wide curved LED light bar with spots in the center and flood lights on the sides to give it depth and width. On each end I mounted a small single LED spot with 3 degree spread to fill in the edges Works great. And it fits like it was custom made for the shape of the bumper.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,264
After the positive results of the Taco mirrors I picked up mirror backs for the Ram and did the same thing. I like the results. You cant have too much PunisheR red!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,265
I also think I fixed an issue with my 3d printer. The main print head started leaking which dripped the material on the part during printing and ruined it. I cleaned everything and tightened it up but still had a small leak. So I torqued it one more time and one of the two mounting points had the threads fail! These are 2.5mm socket head screws up under the head and its a pain to get at them in the first place. I ended up buying replacement 3mm screws and a tap. I tapped out the failed hole to the larger size and torqued it down. So far its holding pressure and I am once again printing. Its always a learning experience.

For example, I learned to clean the glass print surface between print cycles as the build up of crap on them can cause issues in and of itself.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,266
Checked on the car yesterday. Ken thinks he has found the right artist to do the flames! Maybe light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your fingers crossed

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,267
Working on the Dragon and the Punisher Garage today. Spring cleaning. When Punidher comes home I have a ton of electrical work to do. I managed to break the right rear light socket and need to replace that. Got to get it emission tested so I can get the license renewed. Then am going to pull out all the spaghetti wiring for the show lights and install a switch pro . Some fun

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,268
Well its time to update PunisheR status.
I got my GTO hood from norm in about a month two years ago. I have been trying to get it painted and mounted since then. Sadly its been mounted and painted but the paint is not only the wrong color its five or so wrong colors. Sigh.

I took it to my painter, Chipmagic and Jeff was excited about doing the hood and wanted to do electroluminescent paint on the underside. i never seem to learn so I said ok.

A year later, it was not done and after I paid him $1000 against a $2500 estimate to do the job, he sold the shop. to a lets just say young man (kid) who it turns out had no clue what he was doing. So I started going by the shop every Friday to check on progress. "soon" "next week" "next month" "I had to fire my painter" "My manager was stealing from me so I had to fire him." and "her" and "him"... So a year goes by.

Finally the kid says he is ready to do the hood.

I drop the car off and its gone to me for 7 months. First they cant match the color. Would I drop off a fender so they can match the color. You have the car? We need to send the fender to the manufacturers lab to match it. Very complex color.

Then the dad finds out the kid has been lying to him and to Jeff and not making any money and not paying the bills. So there is a father/son discussion which ends up in a fist fight, blood and black eyes. The kid leaves never to be seen again. The father, Ken says he is closing the shop . .. but will finish my car.

Then Covid

And Ken cant match the color
and his painter quits
and his shop manager is fired
and his body tech is fired
and the new manager takes a week to decide to quit

So I go see ken every Friday. promises, promises, excuses, excuses. but he keeps saying "next week"

Finally last week he calls me and says he cant get it done and come pick it up. But the hood is painted just no grahics.

I get ahold of Joe, who painted both cars and the PunisheR Hauler and he says he will look at it.

I go over to coordinate coming over Saturday morning and Ken says, F you, Im gone and rides his bike away!!!

So Ken's older brother (you just cant make this stuff up) says, he will be there Saturday and will be happy to let us into the shop.

So we show up and Joe looks at the hood and starts laughing.

Its mechanically sound, opens and closes well and fits pretty well. not bad at all.

But its the coat of many colors and none of them are PunisheR red.

So I wring my hands and give Joe a short version of my story and he says "I will fix it"!!!! Hearts and flowers.

So I take the car home, and with the help of a friend from the club we pull the GTO hood off and install the factory steel hood. We followed the procedure Norm told us and IT FITS PERFECTELY FIRST TIME! Never had that happen before but live and learn.

So I can work on PunisheR from home and even DRIVE IT for the rest of the summer.

Joe took the chin spoiler that is painted in the right color and is going to match it using his shop paints. Then he is going to fix the hood where they chipped the front and one corner and paint it the right color. Then we will rent his paint booth for the weekend and the two of us will mount the GTO hood, blend the paint as needed, paint the black stripes and he can then do the realistic flames. So by the time fall rolls around it should be done. Again.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
What an ordeal! There is a reason Henry Ford made all his cars black.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
What an ordeal! There is a reason Henry Ford made all his cars black.
Black was the fastest-drying paint of the day, so using it exclusively helped to speed (and simplify) production.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,273
Skip polished the hood and brought breakfast! It was sitting uncovered at the body shop for months and while it was not totally filthy, it did have a film of crud on the top that needed to come off. Hopefully this is a short term situation.

Got the engine bay detailed. Again it was not totally cruddy like the last time it was in the shop long term but it was pretty bad. I got all the rubber/plastic treated and went over the area with detail spray and a toothbrush. Turned out well.

Took everything out of the car and vacuumed the crap out of it. Amazing how much work it is for a small car. But the results are worth the effort.

Need to take it into the pollution inspection Friday morning so I can get the license renewed. Hopefully that goes well.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,274
Took the now unlicensed Punisher out to get the Denver automobile pollution inspection done so I can pay the county to get my tags updated. Took close to two hours but was pretty painless.

To actually get my license renewed, and in light of the CV constraints, I put all the paperwork into an envelope and dropped it into the box at the county license office. Someday, hopefully not too far into the future, I will get a call and after giving them $$$ I will be able to legally drive the car again.

Did well on the drive and the under hood temps were about 10f higher than with the Norm GTO hood. Really looking forward to getting that new hood back on the car.

·
Super Moderator
16,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,275
Sunday we were going to start working on redesigning the wiring on Punisher to clean up and rationalize the show light integration with the car. Then CycleCat showed up and the beer fridge needed to be reorganized. We did get the work done on the Cat Car but not a lot of progress on the Punisher. We did get the beer fridge well organized however.

I installed a SwitchPro in the Taco and love it. Its a great switching system and it will work well in Punisher

The beauty of this switch is its totally programmable. And remotely controllable via a phone app. You can set conditions for each individual circuit to have it flash, change the flash rate, change the on time, make it a toggle on off.

We did make some progress on the design. Punisher has three batteries, the starter battery, and a second backup battery in the left side of the trunk protected by a battery isolator. It also has a smaller starter battery that backs up the GPS security system to ensure it will run for months instead of days. After some research I ordered a Dyna Batt

Currently the security backup battery is on the right side of the trunk. This much smaller form factor battery will allow us to hide it back into the trunk and hand the SwitchPro on a fabricated heat sink in front of the battery.

Am installing the power selector switch upstream of the SwitchPro to be able to select ground power or the backup starter battery as the source of power for the show lights. Basically I can demonstrate the show lights short term using the backup starter battery or I can plug in an external deep cycle yellow top battery as the power source. Then I have several generator options to keep the yellow top happy for long duration light shows.

Parts are on order. As soon as they show up we will have another session in the garage.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Thanks for the help on my car. Sorry I didn't help "reorganize" the beer fridge! Can you program those icons on the controller buttons? That is cool!

3261 - 3277 of 3277 Posts