41 - 60 of 3195 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Haha man I saw autowerks put an LS3 in a coupe in 4 days at nationals. That was without a nice shop to work in out in the hot Austin weather.
True, but I chose to have DDM do mine. I looked at other designs and went a different way. Weeks does a nice install but I was looking for a bit more than their package.

I like how Dave has done a lot of work to get the engine down into the frame a bit lower, and far enough back to help the weight distribution.

Also, to date a.most all conversions have been NAs. The ECM is different in the 2.0 and requires more engineering to get it right.

So you are comparing apples and 747s

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
True, but I chose to have DDM do mine. I looked at other designs and went a different way. Weeks does a nice install but I was looking for a bit more than their package.

I like how Dave has done a lot of work to get the engine down into the frame a bit lower, and far enough back to help the weight distribution.

Also, to date a.most all conversions have been NAs. The ECM is different in the 2.0 and requires more engineering to get it right.

So you are comparing apples and 747s
No, deffinatly not comparing apples to 747's. They are the same motor and the same body. There is only so low and so far back that thing is going to go and if it is weight bias you are worried about you would have stuck with the LNF. You are putting a motor and twice if not bigger with a bigger transmission as well as all the supporting hardware to boot in the front of a pretty small car. The corvettes have a rear mounted trasnaxle to keep the car balanced. So unless you show up to the next meet with the transmission in the back and a dry sump lubrication so you don't have to worry about the oil pan clearing then it is apples to apples. A year to get the engine and inch back and an inch down is not worth it considering the bias is going to be off regardless.

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Alan,
I recommend you go look at Mallet, Wades Garage as well as Werks and learn about the challenges and issues.

The total weight difference is on the order of 55 pounds. The LS motors fit very well. The chassis was designed to 600 HP plus safety margin of at least 10%

The fact is that the Werks design is different from both Wades and DDMs including placement of the engine in the frame.

The Werks swap was preferred by several others so it is a proven process that they have executed previously. The DDM design is still in progress.

The specific swap that Werks performed reused parts that are being replaced on my car.

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Punisher coming home! Well probably.

Talked with Dave this morning and he has gone out for bids on transporting the car home!

He is fine tuning the packaging now, cleaning up the routing of some of the wiring and hoses, and redesigning the placement of some of the hydraulic lines. But that is just because he is a profectionist! Which is one of the reasons I chose him over the alternatives.

He has run the car several times but needs to get it off the lift, onto the dyno for some tweaking and then do the road tests. All should be done by early next week and then its into the truck for the trip home.

I learned early this week that he had a custom rear valance made by Norm. I have yet to see a picture but I am sure its up to Norm's normal standards. Once I get the car home I will share pictures.

This build has taken a long time, due to a number of factors. First is Randy leaving to go back to work full time and not being available daily in the back shop. Then, the Punisher is a 2.0 and has an ECM that is NOT pin compatible with the crate motor. The 2.4 ECM is identical to the 2008 corvette ECM and is a direct plug in, while it took Dave several weeks to do the engineering and have a custom cable made for the 2.0 ECM.

Then there were challenges getting the motor placed in the car where he wanted it. He went through a couple of design, make custom mounts, install and redesign cycles till he got it "perfect". Then the cast iron headers did not have sufficient clearance for him, so he went on a search for a set of after market tube headers and found a set that he liked. But it all took time.

But it looks like Punisher will be home late next week or early the following week!

And then Dave will go into production mode for his LSx kits.

·
Registered
984 Posts

Talked with Dave this morning and he has gone out for bids on transporting the car home!

He is fine tuning the packaging now, cleaning up the routing of some of the wiring and hoses, and redesigning the placement of some of the hydraulic lines. But that is just because he is a profectionist! Which is one of the reasons I chose him over the alternatives.

He has run the car several times but needs to get it off the lift, onto the dyno for some tweaking and then do the road tests. All should be done by early next week and then its into the truck for the trip home.

I learned early this week that he had a custom rear valance made by Norm. I have yet to see a picture but I am sure its up to Norm's normal standards. Once I get the car home I will share pictures.

This build has taken a long time, due to a number of factors. First is Randy leaving to go back to work full time and not being available daily in the back shop. Then, the Punisher is a 2.0 and has an ECM that is NOT pin compatible with the crate motor. The 2.4 ECM is identical to the 2008 corvette ECM and is a direct plug in, while it took Dave several weeks to do the engineering and have a custom cable made for the 2.0 ECM.

Then there were challenges getting the motor placed in the car where he wanted it. He went through a couple of design, make custom mounts, install and redesign cycles till he got it "perfect". Then the cast iron headers did not have sufficient clearance for him, so he went on a search for a set of after market tube headers and found a set that he liked. But it all took time.

But it looks like Punisher will be home late next week or early the following week!

GREAT NEWS Rob ... I know you will be happy with the finished product .... and you'll make room in the shop for me ... I'm set to arrive at DDMWorks on Monday the 22nd for my install ... can't wait :cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
LOL

So you are 3rd in line then? There is a car there now with the engine pulled and parts stacked up ready to go into the car as soon as Punisher leaves.:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Shipping update

Talked with Dave this morning. He is waiting on the return of a bid for transportion. They have a 10 day window to respond and today is the 10th day. If he does not hear back by today he will go directly to a shipper and get it out of the shop next week.

He has driven the car and is planning on putting it on the dyno today or tomorrow when Randy is available to do the tuning. He says its "fun" and sounds great.

The wait continues . . . .

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
:lurk:

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
609 Posts

I hate you!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rob,
Love what you've done to your Sol, especially the paint job (whats that color called?). Must have set you back a bundle. I only know of one other Sol with an LS-3 in it and it is awesome. Maybe you already addressed what kind of tires you're going to use to get all that power to the road, but The owner of that other Sol put 265/40R18 Bridgestone RE-11 on his and really likes them. I still have my original Goodyears and they suck big time and forget about it trying to get traction in rain.
Dan :dthumbs:

41 - 60 of 3195 Posts