Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Punisher

882K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#67 ·
Punisher has still not shipped.

It was initially planned to be home in the December / January time frame last year. Unfortunately Randy left DDM to work full time for a different company and that had an adverse impact on their work schedule.

After considerable development work, including doing a custom designed cable set to interface the GXP ECM hardware with the Ls3 crate motor (not plug compatible) and building / test fitting and redesigning the motor mounts, drive shaft, etc. the car was supposed to be delivered at the Nationals in June however some of the parts were not ready in time.

It was nearly ready to ship in September when Dave decided to remove the GM brackets, alternater, AC pump etc and replace them with a custom polished billet aluminum set. This necessitated removing the hood, radiator, brackets, and all the front end bits of the motor, including the water pump. The water pump was replaced with an Ls1 unit that is compatible with the dress up kit he wanted to install. He then installed the kit however that necessitated modificaiton to the electrical cabling, the AC tubing and relocating the radiator.

Most of that work is now done and we are hoping that the car will be coming home before Christmas this year.:thumbs:

#68 ·
Feel your pain. My LS3 is ready, and at the last moment I decided to add an Edelbrock E Force supercharger. Turns out, the hood does not clear and I was just going to leave the LS3 alone, but then decided, "What the heck, I've done the engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, wheels, interior, stereo, so why not put a hood scoop on and keep the blower?... So, blower install should be done this week and Dave is working to get his body guy to graft on a very smooth and subtle scoop, along the lines of what Wade did with his Solbra. I'm hoping it can be completed in a couple of weeks...

Attachments

#69 ·
I would like to go on record saying that I am a hater and while I love the rides I hate that you guys have them and not me! :(
I just hope I can ride shot gun sometime!

#70 ·
There were two reasons I did not go with the SC. First was cosmetic, I did not want to have to cut the hood. Second was cost / performance. But you never know...

#72 ·
The reason I went with the Edelbrock blower was that weo hoped it would fit beneath the stock hood as it does in the Vette, etc. There was only one way to know for sure... Nonetheless, the scoop will be very subtle, esp on an all black car.
Some of us just have to be pioneers and take the leap. The chance you took is an invaluable piece of info esp to anyone that might want the same setup as you. Thanks.

#76 ·
Dave says the AC lines are done, he has to hook up the water lines, and clean up the electrical then will get around to testing it out. Did not have time to work on it Monday, or Tuesday or Wednesday this week. The open house is 22 Oct so I suspect it will not be coming home any time soon.

#78 ·
I have it ready to mount. The truck is at Chipmagic gettng the wheels done. I want to get good pics of the car, trailer and the truck together. Soon I hope LOL:thumbs:

#79 ·
Some new pics from Dave Shows the custom rear valence that Norm did, the pipes and the dress up kit on the engine.

Attachments

#80 ·
The engine looks pretty from the front.

#84 ·
While it is clearly not cheap, I am getting a very good price from Dave. Mine is the pathfinder for his new build product which is one of the reasons. He also gave me a significant "trade in" offer for the 2.0 motor which I no longer need or have space to store if I did retain it.

I am basically getting the install for about 80% of the market price. At least that is how I sold it to the wife

#85 ·
More fun stuff

here is my latest addition. Yes, it is the Punisher lifesized to stand next to the car when I show it.

Attachments

#86 ·
Talked with Dave yesterday. He hired a new guy who is to be the expert at doing V8 installs for DDM. As soon as he saw my car he wanted to make changes. So he pulled the motor . . . again . . . and modified the motor mounts. He has it almost back together again. Hopefully it will be running today and will come home . . . some day.

#87 ·
You have more patience than anyone I know!:thumbs:

Jim :cool:

#89 ·
LOL

I talk with Dave generally at least weekly.
He has valid reasons for the up front delay that were out of his control and I am ok with

The end product will be I am sure as close to perfection as one can get.

I signed up knowing that it was a development project so accepted the schedule risk

Dave has compensated for the schedule extension in a manner that I find more than fair. So I am not upset or angry.

Yes its taking a long time, but:
We have a "spare" so have been continuing my Kappa Life in the Green Dragon

I have been concentrating on getting the Punisher F150 and Hauler up and configured which has kept me very busy

I still have very high confidence that the end product will be worth the wait

But is is kind of like standing with your nose pressed to the candy store window for over a year, waiting . . waiting . .. salivating . . . waiting . ..

#90 ·
Updated pictures and status

Dave says that the mechanical is done. They are going to test it for a day, then spend a day on the dyno. THEN hopefully they will schedule shipping You may notice that they polished the intake. Pretty pretty.:lurk:

Attachments

#91 ·
Wow!

Jim :cool: