Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a dealer this evening and was told that they could not give me a price point as part of the purchase agreement. They said that the price can and will change before they get the car that I order. I just wanted to get a price for the car while I was in the showroom filling out the paper work. Shouldn't I be able to lock in a price today for the car that I order?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

·
2,574 Posts
Temple said:
I was at a dealer this evening and was told that they could not give me a price point as part of the purchase agreement. They said that the price can and will change before they get the car that I order. I just wanted to get a price for the car while I was in the showroom filling out the paper work. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
It was explained to me by my dealer that since the car was ordered ( I have a contract signed by me and the dealer for MSRP) as sold to me, as long as I complete the purchase without making changes to the order after "pickup" I will have price protection. Changes to the order, they advised, would cause a no price protection situation for me. I have seen the recent increases to wheels and leather but they were passed along by G.M. with an effective date which, I think was pretty clear and dated after my order so I'm ok there too. This was strictly my understanding with my dealer. Small Dealer is the member here who is the "recognized authority" on these matters.

·
5,641 Posts
Not having a price kind of challenges the definition of "agreement" dosen't it?

There should be no reason that a dealership would not give a price at the time of a "purchase agreement". After all it is price protected by Pontiac/GM after the "agreement" is signed. Only bad things can come of it. May be a sign to look elsewhere, unless there are overriding good reasons to order there.

You are just at the early stages of the process. Dealerships should know their estimated second four month allocation numbers in a couple weeks. If you look around and make some contacts at other dealerships, you may even find one that can get the car built sooner.

Good luck.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: Yes
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: No

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Temple said:
I was at a dealer this evening and was told that they could not give me a price point as part of the purchase agreement. They said that the price can and will change before they get the car that I order. I just wanted to get a price for the car while I was in the showroom filling out the paper work. Shouldn't I be able to lock in a price today for the car that I order?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
Temple,

My (small west Texas town) dealer printed out the order sheet, put my contact info on it, made me a copy, and said, "There's your price, just add tax, title, and license."

I agree with SmallDealer that you may want to look elsewhere, or at least tell this dealer that you are willing to do so. ;)

--Chemist

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So a dealer would be able to tell if they can get a car built sooner than another? Every dealer that I go to says they are the premier Solstice dealer in the area. Hard for me to tell what ones are getting larger allocations.

So this same dealer that I was at last night said that they would write up a purchase agreement. The salesman came out with a credit form and had me fill it out and sign. Then he started asking me how I would like to pay for the deposit and I said that I would like to work on the purchase agreement before I give them my deposit. That is when they said they could not give me an exact number. Thinking I should have had them tear up the credit form before I left...

Small Dealer said:
If you look around and make some contacts at other dealerships, you may even find one that can get the car built sooner.

Good luck.

·
5,641 Posts
Temple said:
So a dealer would be able to tell if they can get a car built sooner than another? Every dealer that I go to says they are the premier Solstice dealer in the area. Hard for me to tell what ones are getting larger allocations.
Sooner then another? No, that is your job. A dealership should be able to tell you how many orders they have already and how many estimated allocation spots they will be getting. Then you just have to compare.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: No

1 - 7 of 7 Posts