Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'd like to draw on you all's knowledge about a possible purchase (with apologizies if this is the wrong forum).

I'm interested in buying a 2009 Solstice GXP hardtop coupe in the short/medium term. My question is two fold:

First, it seems as GM wound down Pontiac, there were relatively few of the hardtop coupes made (I think 2009 was the only year as well?). Any pointers on finding one for sale when I'll want it, other than just stalking the hell out of the various sale sites online? Do they come up for sale with any frequency, and if so, what do prices look like?

Second, what is maintenance and reliability like for late model Pontiacs from ya'lls experience?

regards,
-b

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
They are out there but not easy to find. Check autotrader.com and keep an eye on this forum. Maintenance and reliability are not an issue. Good luck with your hunt.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
There were a total of 1266 Coupes made, total!

GXP Auto = 562
GXP Manual = 288
NA Auto = 340
NA Manual = 76

Good luck! AutoTrader.com and cars.com are probably your best bet to find one.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Best advice is to buy a GXP for sure as they will depreciate more slowly should you ever want to resell, and try to find a manual trans car (the rarest) assuming that you want to drive a stick, as they should also hold value a tad better than the autos.

No big service issues, although some parts specific to the coupes will become hard to find - don't take the coupe top panel off and misplace it, for instance, and try not to damage the rear taillights (also unique to the coupe).

The rest of the parts should be reasonably easy to obtain in future, although interior specific stuff will get hard to find once NOS runs out. I stashed a set of floor mats and a spare pair of exterior door handles (I bought Cobalt, which look the same, but lack the inherent weakness of the ones used in the Solstice).

Be flexible on price if you really want a specific option set. I learned my lesson when I was looking for a manual trans Fiero GT in 1988. Passed the new ones by and it took me more than 2 years to find another one (around 3,000 mad in the version I wanted). I bought my Solstice coupe new, something I would normally never do, but had I waited, finding another of the 36 manual GXP coupes sold in Canada would have been a huge lengthy search.

Paying a thousand or two more than you think you should may not be the end of the world if the alternative is not owning one for a long time.

They are very enjoyable cars, quite reliable, and a lot of us like them despite the plastic GM interiors (as with all GM cars) and lack of cargo space. Very comfortable long distance tourers. Good luck finding what you want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
:thumbs:
So, I'd like to draw on you all's knowledge about a possible purchase (with apologizies if this is the wrong forum).

I'm interested in buying a 2009 Solstice GXP hardtop coupe in the short/medium term. My question is two fold:

First, it seems as GM wound down Pontiac, there were relatively few of the hardtop coupes made (I think 2009 was the only year as well?). Any pointers on finding one for sale when I'll want it, other than just stalking the hell out of the various sale sites online? Do they come up for sale with any frequency, and if so, what do prices look like?

Second, what is maintenance and reliability like for late model Pontiacs from ya'lls experience?

regards,
-b
Ok here goes i'll help even though we might be in competition for a car i have been looking for the rite coupe for me for 7 months! You didn't state weather you want stick or automatic .I have a thread on here look it up it will give you numbers of stick gxp"s color break down .I have found that you can find autos easy in fact there's a nice red one for sale on this site. :yesnod: I have found gxp.s price range crazy from 22,000 to 39,000 $ remeber new they went from 31,900 to 35,900 depending on dealer and what they were loaded with, if you don"t care if it's an auto you can probably find one you want easy .If you want a stick in a certain color you just might have to wait a little longer for the rite car to come along . Also they did make 9 # 2010 gxps Just my 2 cent good luck:leaving:

·
Registered
303 Posts
No big service issues, although some parts specific to the coupes will become hard to find - don't take the coupe top panel off and misplace it, for instance, and try not to damage the rear taillights (also unique to the coupe).

The rest of the parts should be reasonably easy to obtain in future, although interior specific stuff will get hard to find once NOS runs out. I stashed a set of floor mats and a spare pair of exterior door handles (I bought Cobalt, which look the same, but lack the inherent weakness of the ones used in the Solstice).
I would suggest that having an extra rear glass hatch in storage would be a good thing, as at some point THEY may be harder, if not impossible, to find.

As for service issues, contrary to legend, GM/Pontiac did not resolve the differential issue that cropped up early on, as my NA 09 Coupe required its diff replaced under warranty..

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
moving this thread to the coupe section.

and this information is at the top of the coupe forum.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Pontiac : Solstice GXP in Pontiac | eBay Motors

Disregard ad says 6spd (5spd manual or auto). Price seems high but then again this it's a dealership. Biggest pluses 2010s, GXPs, manual (3 autos vs every manual), and color.

Also:
(2009, 2.4, Auto)

Good luck on your search.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply, the only time this guy posted on this forum was the two messages here, and he/she hasn't been on the forum since then, six months ago.

:nonod:

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Auttabuy.com has 9 listed with some pretty realistic prices go to the search engine type in Pontiac then they will ask you for a model needless to say Solstice Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts