Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the AFBTS's aren't just going to be there for looks. I think they'll be there to keep the top fabric taut. Kind of like the way an architectural flying buttress works, but only in reverse. You want the fabric to be stretched nice and tight so that it doesn't bow too high or flap around.

Could I be on to something, here? Has this been hypothesized before?

·
5,600 Posts
Your theory is certainly possible.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2KWK4U said:
You want the fabric to be stretched nice and tight so that it doesn't bow too high or flap around.
Kind of off-topic, but your mention of "flap around" brought up horrible mental images of those buttresses coming unsnapped at speed and flailing around chipping the paint all to heck... :eek :cryin Let's hope that when they are pulled taut and snapped in that not even a hurricane will be able to yank 'em out!

They should have "Left AFBTS Ajar" and "Right AFBTS Ajar" idiot lights in the dash just in case you forget... :lol

·
4,592 Posts
ho2go said:
Kind of off-topic, but your mention of "flap around" brought up horrible mental images of those buttresses coming unsnapped at speed and flailing around chipping the paint all to heck... :eek :cryin Let's hope that when they are pulled taut and snapped in that not even a hurricane will be able to yank 'em out!

They should have "Left AFBTS Ajar" and "Right AFBTS Ajar" idiot lights in the dash just in case you forget... :lol
SWEET, but, better, that warm woman's computer voice announcing your "Left AFBTS is Ajar"! :glol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
It would be strangely arousing to hear a sultry voice of your choosing actually prounouncing the full acronym, and not just the letters...

"Your left artsy....."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
2KWK4U said:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the AFBTS's aren't just going to be there for looks. I think they'll be there to keep the top fabric taut. Kind of like the way an architectural flying buttress works, but only in reverse. You want the fabric to be stretched nice and tight so that it doesn't bow too high or flap around.

Could I be on to something, here? Has this been hypothesized before?
I'm really guessing they're there for a reason. They're apparently causing issues with how people view the roof, so I don't think GM would just leave them there if they weren't required for something. However, I don't believe their function is necisarily a functional requirment but more of a appearance requirment. What I mean is that the roof will go up jsut fine and work without them, but the top wont be completely taunt all the time, and might look a little wrinkled. So the AFBTS's are there for visual appeal not a structual requirment.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its entirely possible that they hold some sort of purpose for the structure and or fitment of the top. However, I have a feeling they were originally conceived as a styling element to make the car look sportier with the top up. People often complain how convertibles look with the top up. By putting on the buttresses, it gives the top more integrated to the body look in profile.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
I'm really guessing they're there for a reason. They're apparently causing issues with how people view the roof, so I don't think GM would just leave them there if they weren't required for something. However, I don't believe their function is necisarily a functional requirment but more of a appearance requirment. What I mean is that the roof will go up jsut fine and work without them, but the top wont be completely taunt all the time, and might look a little wrinkled. So the AFBTS's are there for visual appeal not a structual requirment.

That's been my point - without a "FUNCTIONAL" reason, by inference, the only reason they exist must be aesthetic, or "FORM". "Form without function" is nothing more than eyecandy. It's the styling equivalent of writing with lots and lots of adverbs.

There have been cladding (remember Pontiac - king of cladding), and all kinds of functionless, form-only features. Only recently has Pontiac released it's corner on cladding. I see GM would most certainly keep non-functional features.

·
Registered
154 Posts
solsticeman said:
"Form without function" is nothing more than eyecandy.
Candy? I love candy!

I don't wan't to drive some aerodynamic egg/wedge shaped car. It has to have a sexy body over a truly FUNCTIONAL car. The outside (and possibly the interior) should be eye candy.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Sol is going to be a great example of form over function. Just look at the trunk we have been whining about! :smile

Thank God Pontiac did lose that cladding before they penned the Solstice! It would not look nearly as good with ribbed siding nailed on it. Yet, that siding did perform one decent function, it limited door dings on the side. Unless of course the SUV driver in his Gigantic Hippo LX parked next to you! :lol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
yah, years ago, I parked my 74 Olds and hit a supermarket. I came out and saw a HUGE Surburban made up like a monster truck with the ladder and the whole deal, pulled in next to my car. Had seen them before - near the sand dunes at Silver Lake in western michigan, you see lots and lots of these sand-beasts.

He climed out, and his girlfriend whipped open the door on the passenger side - the bottom edge of which neatly caught my driver's side window - "KER-POW!!!" and glass exploded all over.

I saw him looking around, really fast-like, then he yelled for his girlfriend to get back in the truck.

I'm glad I at least saw it - I ran up and told him to stop, that he wasn't going anywhere. His girlfriend must have had the IQ of one of the tires on the truck, 'cause she didn't know why he wanted her to get in...

In the end, he paid me directly for the window replacement in cash - since I had his license plate number, and I suspect the truck wasn't actually licensed since his plates were two years out of date.

To this day, I still think of the Titanico Leviathan LX (which started life as a Surburban) and my window.

Cladding wouldn't have helped that one.:D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
That's been my point - without a "FUNCTIONAL" reason, by inference, the only reason they exist must be aesthetic, or "FORM". "Form without function" is nothing more than eyecandy. It's the styling equivalent of writing with lots and lots of adverbs.

There have been cladding (remember Pontiac - king of cladding), and all kinds of functionless, form-only features. Only recently has Pontiac released it's corner on cladding. I see GM would most certainly keep non-functional features.
Yeah, I was pretty much agreeing with you. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
yah, years ago, I parked my 74 Olds and hit a supermarket. I came out and saw a HUGE Surburban made up like a monster truck with the ladder and the whole deal, pulled in next to my car. Had seen them before - near the sand dunes at Silver Lake in western michigan, you see lots and lots of these sand-beasts.

He climed out, and his girlfriend whipped open the door on the passenger side - the bottom edge of which neatly caught my driver's side window - "KER-POW!!!" and glass exploded all over.

I saw him looking around, really fast-like, then he yelled for his girlfriend to get back in the truck.

I'm glad I at least saw it - I ran up and told him to stop, that he wasn't going anywhere. His girlfriend must have had the IQ of one of the tires on the truck, 'cause she didn't know why he wanted her to get in...

In the end, he paid me directly for the window replacement in cash - since I had his license plate number, and I suspect the truck wasn't actually licensed since his plates were two years out of date.

To this day, I still think of the Titanico Leviathan LX (which started life as a Surburban) and my window.

Cladding wouldn't have helped that one.:D
Good news is.. the Solstice should be completely underneath those doors, top and all!! :lol

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe they ARE just for styling. If they were there to keep the top stretched tight, it would make sense that you should put them in place BEFORE you latch the top to the header up front, and take the loose only after you've unlatched the header. If that were the case, you would have to unlatch the top at the front every time you wanted to open the trunk :eek

The thing that got me thinking about it in the first place was my old Miata. In order to unzip the rear window (and especially to zip it back in) you were supposed to unlatch the top from the header so you wouldn't put unnecessary strain on the zipper. The window helped to keep the top fabric stretched nice and tight, so there was a fair amount of tension on that zipper if the top wasn't released.

·
5,600 Posts
2KWK4U said:
If that were the case, you would have to unlatch the top at the front every time you wanted to open the trunk :eek
Not the dreaded "can't-open-the-trunk-with-the-top-up" argument again.

:brentil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
unless there is some kind of a cam/lever device at the afbts buttons on the trunk (which doesn't appear in any photo so far), there's absolutely no way to get enough tension on the butrresses to pull the rest of the top taut from outside the car. i suspect the main part of the top will be pulled taut just like most other conertibles: with a lever/cam inside the car.

they're for styling only.

and worse, they will make the rear 3/4 blind spot bigger. the rear 3/4 view of a miata is way worse than the rear 3/4 view in a fiero or a del sol.

i say junk those stupid things.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thank God Pontiac did lose that cladding before they penned the Solstice! It would not look nearly as good with ribbed siding nailed on it.
Sudden terrible mental image of the '06 Turbo Soltice GT with "Ground Effects". Just like how you couldn't get the supercharged Bonneville without body clading to "visually set it apart"! :mad

It's my feeling that they are just for looks. Great pains were made to bring to market a car that best copies the concept vehicle. And the only official picture we have of the top is a concept clay car. After all, there were quite a few design elements incorporated that serve no function other than their "Ooh, Wow" value...rear opening hood, 18" rims and being forced to put the gas tank in the only spot left come quickly to mind.

From the looks of those little chrome belly buttons on the rear deck, they don't look like they couldn't handle the verticle load to pull the top down and tight. It looks like they could only act as possitioning receptors for a side to side load.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Sudden terrible mental image of the '06 Turbo Soltice GT with "Ground Effects". Just like how you couldn't get the supercharged Bonneville without body clading to "visually set it apart"! :mad....
Man, talk about buzzkill!!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Maybe they ARE just for styling. If they were there to keep the top stretched tight, it would make sense that you should put them in place BEFORE you latch the top to the header up front, and take the loose only after you've unlatched the header. If that were the case, you would have to unlatch the top at the front every time you wanted to open the trunk :eek

The thing that got me thinking about it in the first place was my old Miata. In order to unzip the rear window (and especially to zip it back in) you were supposed to unlatch the top from the header so you wouldn't put unnecessary strain on the zipper. The window helped to keep the top fabric stretched nice and tight, so there was a fair amount of tension on that zipper if the top wasn't released.
A great reason to have a glass rear window. Not to mention the yellowing and scratching of plastic windows! Glass is certainly worth the price and weight!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahhh, but it was nice to be able to zip out the rear window, but leave the top up when conditions called for it... I'll miss that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts