Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
tombugg said:
:willy: :willy: :willy: Thanks for the info. I think that just did it for me. I have to replace my car this summer, I was going to be able to wait until September or October, but I can't buy a car that I can't sit in yet, so it sounds like October-November that I may be able to sit in one and decide if I want one, then I order it, could be easily January or February of next year. UGHH, I just can't wait. :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the can't wait!!!!!!!!! looks like they have major problems with the top. Note how Mazda shows their top working on a video for the new MX Miata, check out their web site :agree: :brentil:

·
Registered
146 Posts
clued in

Maybe that explains why the Cust. Service/Pontiac rep. said that the car wouldn't be out until October... They also said that they would have more information May 2nd- to call back then....? :(

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
tombugg said:
I know about the can't wait!!!!!!!!! looks like they have major problems with the top. Note how Mazda shows their top working on a video for the new MX Miata, check out their web site :agree: :brentil:
I don't know that "fit" problems could be considered "major"...could be something minor too and they are looking to make it prefect. As far as videos of the top Pontiac has similar too: http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=477&sort=2&cat=3013&page=1

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sure we all would like to have everything working and looking right when we do get the car. I know I am one that does not like to bring a vehicle back to the dealer over and over again to fix problems. We just need to hang in there for a few more months. I may need to go rent a convertible a few weekends this summer to help releive the tension. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If Pontiac and GM truly look at the Sol/Sky as the great-great grandchildren of the original 1953 Corvette as I do (IMHO the similarities are great, including price point compared to family sedans) then they will have learned at least one lesson from history. The 53 vette had major problems with the top and side-curtains, not to mention a new for mainline production vehicles body material and construction process(fibreglass - hydroforming).

I for one want them to get it right from the beginning and am willing to wait. This does not need to be another Fiero or Cosworth Vega on GM's report card.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've got the summertime blues licked with machines named Mr.Davidson & Lord & Lady Triumph.Don't need 4 tires on the road to experience that top down feeling. :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
OK - Anyone who ordered 1 of the first 1000 should be concerned. You don't want GM to rush the car which = problems in quality. I'll wait at least 1 year for most of the problems to be worked out.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
667 Posts
SATCH said:
I've got the summertime blues licked with machines named Mr.Davidson & Lord & Lady Triumph.Don't need 4 tires on the road to experience that top down feeling. :cool:
:agree: Me too! I don't think there are many cars that will replace the grin of two wheel travel. Well maybe an old Jag or a nice red something from Maranello! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have it on very good authority (a GM brake component vendor) that the first builds of the Solistice are scheduled to begin 5/10 at the rate of 50 per day for the first build group. This entity has shipped sufficent product for 800 units to be built with add'l. part subassemblies shipping in 3 week increments. Sounds to me like Pontiac is going slow and building a limited number of Sols and see how it goes, ramping up production as they work through the startup gotchas.

My wife is in the confirmed 1000 group so we'll be watching the build schedule closely. More schedule info as I learn of it from my supplier friend.

Good luck gang!
TJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
TJ Klise said:
I have it on very good authority (a GM brake component vendor) that the first builds of the Solistice are scheduled to begin 5/10 at the rate of 50 per day for the first build group. This entity has shipped sufficent product for 800 units to be built with add'l. part subassemblies shipping in 3 week increments. Sounds to me like Pontiac is going slow and building a limited number of Sols and see how it goes, ramping up production as they work through the startup gotchas.

My wife is in the confirmed 1000 group so we'll be watching the build schedule closely. More schedule info as I learn of it from my supplier friend.

Good luck gang!
TJ
So using the above logic we're looking at approximately 1000 cars per month (maybe an extra 100 on some months), so depending on how long they wait to start shipping and how long it takes to ship, Maybe we start seeing the 1000 hit the dealers in early August?

Does anyone know how many orders (including non-EOP) that Pontiac has?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've heard figures betweeen 5,000-6,000, depending on who's talking.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If they plan to start building them in a week in a half then I guess the issues have been solved?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not good to bring out a new convertible in the middle of fall. I hope this is just more propaganda. I know my dealer had Solstice poster pinned up all over the palce.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Adrenaline said:
If they plan to start building them in a week in a half then I guess the issues have been solved?
Hey Adrenaline, did you place your order? If so what dealer did you go to?

I'm in Catonsville... and am getting ready to order and am look for a good dealer. There is one on 40 out by you but my past experiences with them are not good, IMO.

B

·
0 Posts
While I am not one who enjoys waiting, I am willing to wait if it means that GM will get it right the first time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Follow-up Phone Call about First 1000

Received a follow-up call last night congratulating me on being one of the first 1000, but advising that, due to production issues, it will be late September before the car is delivered.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TJ Klise said:

Good luck gang!
TJ
TJ - first of all, welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Second, the date you have posted (5/10) is yet a fifth date that has been stated as "start of production". As you may have seen, there is all kinds of inaccurate information when it comes to a new car launch - and the actual start of production date is very fluid until the true, first and official car comes off the assembly line - but that will only happen after a number of "trial" cars have been built.

These "trial" cars (assuming it works like the launch of the Ford Focus, the T-bird nearby here in Wixom, the 1995 J-car, or the other launches that many of my contacts or I have been involved with) are built exactly like the final cars as a slower rate - many times they go to marketing, engineering, or even for last minute testing (like crash testing, for example). Some of them get re-built and auctioned off. The key is these trial cars are "used" cars and cannot be sold as new.

The latest information points to the fact that this build seems to be held up primarily due to fit and finish - but these would NOT change requirements to parts that do not need to be adjusted. Things like brakes, air conditioning, engine, trans, suspension, radios - all of these are still required, for all practical purposes, to be "production" level. This means, to a brake supplier such as your contact, as far as they are concerned, they must produce as if they were production parts.

So, there is a couple of things that could be going on here:
1) they really are starting to ship cars to dealers on 5/10 (I highly doubt it, but I suppose it is possible. Much of the evidence out there points against it, and this would be the earliest date yet of rumored production start)
2) the 5/10 date from your contact is the start of these "production trial" cars, but NOT the true date they build cars intended to go to the dealers (in other words the date has been misunderstood), or
3) the date your contact has is incorrect, or
4) the date your contact has was correct at one time but is out of date (not likely, since you say they need to ship to support said timing.

It is no real secret that Wilmington has been producing cars for a few months now - many have seen the cars outside the plant and in the general area.

My guess is there prolly is something to this delay talk - and we'll know the real start of production date when or after it occurs. This is especially so if they are only starting these "production trial" cars on your contact's date. It takes a few weeks to build sufficient numbers of cars to make sure the assembly process is working properly prior to actually shipping product to the dealerships.

Thanks for the info - more stuff we can put on the "detective pile" to piece this story together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts