Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Been closing my trunk from the chrome ring since day 1 and have had no problems at all.
Ditto...No problems whatsoever. Never touch the paint just the buttress chrome ring. Like closing your doors...think CHROME.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ditto...No problems whatsoever. Never touch the paint just the buttress chrome ring. Like closing your doors...think CHROME.
That's probably correct if the top is down and the spring-loaded door is held open. Otherwise, there's risk of distortion due to non-symmetrical loads.

But when the top is up, we should propel the lid down smartly - then remove your hand before it hits the latch.

I don't know how robust that latch is...
There's this horrible image in my mind of the trunk opening at high speed. Hopefully there's some sort of interlock that prevents electrical release when moving.

·
Registered
318 Posts
always close by the chrome cover on the left or right sides.
and always force the top into the trunk first prior to closing.
on my new top it seems like a tighter fit than my old top but I assume because its new.
have 40,000 on my car and no dents or dings... little paint chip or two on the front due to road rocks or whatever but besides that it all looks good.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the years gone by here, I had never heard of dinging the deck lid by closing it. I personally have always closed mine where the protective film and Buttress hook-up is, just to hide any hand prints.
Theres a lot worse thing to be very aware of! When opening the deck lid, make sure that the wind never catches that sucker. The Hinges / Torsion rod set-up is as flimsy as it gets! I currently have a sprung deck lid. I had to undo the torsion rods altogether after this occurred, as bumps on the top rear fascia, appeared within an hour after untightening the four deck bolts to realign the lid. I have a ding now as a result of slamming the deck lid after it had been pulled backwards by the wind & I didn't realize it was severley screwed up! If this happens to any of you, expect to put it in a body shop or with any luck, your a gearhead and can remove the rear fascia after you either, buy all the components to re-build the hinge set-up and put it on from behind the car (Rear Fascia Off)
or do like I did, watch Ebay for a tested used entire set-up that was removed in one peice by a reputable auto dismantler. Theres one on there now by a guy I have dealt with in the past and found he has 100% feedback also. I have all the parts, 20 push-pins, basic 1/4 inch drive ratchet w/sockets and the hinge / torsion garbage which I am going to stabilize after installation, so it can't open ever again to the Outer Limits!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2006 earned a dent early in life. I now ensure the top is completely collapsed down into the trunk. I then hook my finger in the trunk latch and with a crisp swing downward, let it fly. It closes completely every time and never requires a hand pressing down on the trunk lid. I lift up and set down the top/trunk from both sides of the car so no worries about creating an imbalance with the trunk lid adjustments.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was shown a trick by jrsno1fan that really works if you are in the "closing from the side" crowd. Works when closing with top down. Before closing the trunk lid, with your right hand (at your preferred location), take your left hand and open the springed flap in the silver stripe area. Make sure your left hand is clear of the trunk lid and then close the trunk lid with your right hand. The opening due to the little flap opening lets the air out of the trunk as the lid closes, requiring a lot less force! Thanks jrsno1fan;)
I would like to try this method; but I don't know what is being referenced in the above as the "springed flap in the silver stripe area"...would be very appreciative if someone can help me with this, as it always takes me 2 or 3 tries to get the trunk shut!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Sure. Look at the tulip panel (the silver stripe thing) when you lift out the convertible top...the flaps that spring up by themselves are the ones he's addressing. They can be lifted by the back edge at any time...the springs holding it down are only moderately strong and can be lifted with no problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sure. Look at the tulip panel (the silver stripe thing) when you lift out the convertible top...the flaps that spring up by themselves are the ones he's addressing. They can be lifted by the back edge at any time...the springs holding it down are only moderately strong and can be lifted with no problem.
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am still not getting it - what is the tulip panel and where are the flaps that spring up by themselves? Sorry to be dense but I am a newbie Solstice owner and not familiar with the jargon or the layout yet. Thanks for bearing with me.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am still not getting it - what is the tulip panel and where are the flaps that spring up by themselves? Sorry to be dense but I am a newbie Solstice owner and not familiar with the jargon or the layout yet. Thanks for bearing with me.
Tulip Panel in silver:

Flap:

Jim :cool:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
If you look behind the trunk lining right behind to escape t handle you will see the trunk vent. Cut a hole in trunk lining to match the grill of the trunk vent. Make some kind of grill to cover the hole in trunk lining. Make closing the trunk easy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go to just about any auto parts store. They sell a $20.00 kit that works just great taking out small dents. This kit just saved me about 500.00.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my name is Holly and I am a new proud owner of my 2006 Black Solstice. and I am new to this club so I apologize if I am not very good at this, I live in West Palm Beach, and I am a prior RX=7, and presently still own my Pontiac 1986 Fiero, but anyways I love my new car and appreciate any tips and info on my new Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Hi, my name is Holly and I am a new proud owner of my 2006 Black Solstice. and I am new to this club so I apologize if I am not very good at this, I live in West Palm Beach, and I am a prior RX=7, and presently still own my Pontiac 1986 Fiero, but anyways I love my new car and appreciate any tips and info on my new Pontiac.
Welcome! Lotsa current Sol owners are also current Fiero owners! Just look around the forum.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts