Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,
Admittedly haven't been following this solstice thing for long. WEnt to my dealer today, stated they had an allocation of 5 cars (I assume for first year production). and they guaranteed msrp. I"m the 5th car in the allocation.

Know lots of speculation, but anyone have a rough idea how long it'd be before the car gets here, assumin sometime in 06 or perhaps sooner?

I waited 3.5 years for my Elise so the wait isn't a problem for me.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well the first allocation means it's actually their first 4 month allocation. So once the first post-EOP/0-zip start coming out to dealers we're in the 4 month allocation phase. So say that means Sept [hypothetical], then that means the 4 month allocation would be Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. Being the last person on your dealers 4 month allocation 'in general*' means you'll be the last one to get a car then. Having 5 cars in their allocation puts them below mid range volume. So in this scenario I'd say Dec for your car. If they end up making cars for 4 month allocation sooner you might get yours earlier then.

* One case you would end up being before the other 4 is if they order cars with options different from yours and those options get restricted. For example the leather restriction recently has meant at some dealerships people higher up in the line are actually going to get their cars before people who might have ordered years before them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
bullseye said:
Thanks brentil,
That's very helpful. Not much of a wait at all!
Chris
That's the attitude :thumbs: Congrats bullseye :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Would be great to have more people with your attitude bullseye. There seem to be so many people who get so angry and rant about how GM is the bigest suck ever over a 2-4 month delay. Just imagine if we had to wait 3.5 years. :willy:

·
Registered
269 Posts
mceb said:
That's the attitude :thumbs: Congrats bullseye :cheers:
This just struck me as completely unfair and I have to get this off my chest.

It just pis_es me off that you have someone that all of a sudden after all the advertising and hype comes along, plunks down a deposit and will get a "first allocation" car when I ordered mine months ago. I'm in the second allocation just because I live in Canada. Chances are I won't see my car this year even though my dealer was one of the lucky dealerships that got a single car allocation (with two orders in front of me). Most, and I mean all but three dealerships in BC, did not get any.
Sorry for the negativity but now that I see peoples orders being picked up and arrival dates being stated it just makes the wait that much harder.

·
Registered
350 Posts
CanSol said:
This just struck me as completely unfair and I have to get this off my chest.

It just pis_es me off that you have someone that all of a sudden after all the advertising and hype comes along, plunks down a deposit and will get a "first allocation" car when I ordered mine months ago. I'm in the second allocation just because I live in Canada. Chances are I won't see my car this year even though my dealer was one of the lucky dealerships that got a single car allocation (with two orders in front of me). Most, and I mean all but three dealerships in BC, did not get any.
Sorry for the negativity but now that I see peoples orders being picked up and arrival dates being stated it just makes the wait that much harder.
You could always go to an american dealer and buy a car from them. You could also look around for more dealers with less cars on order. Also, just be happy that you are able to order one imediately. In the technology industry when a Japanese company comes out with something new they get to enjoy the product for 1 or 2 years before we see it here in the states. So, even if GM wanted to favor the states with more cars than Canada that would be OK. Just calm down and your car will come.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Chrysler screwed me over. They announced the 300c (convertible) and I was ready to buy it. Then delay after delay after delay after delay and then they completely abandon the car. Instead they made this completely square looking sedan with that same name and I was immediately turned off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As mentioned, the wait for my elise was agonizing, I waited 3.5 years, but was lucky to get the first one delivered in the US!

Sorry to hear about the Canada thing. I wouldn't exactly say I just heard all the hype however, as you'll note I DID REGISTER ON THIS SITE IN FEB 2005, but just didn't want to get too heavily into it until I started seeing some movement on the horizon, saw a blurb on it on TV this morsning figured good a time as any, so am not a complete newb. Then seeing Big Johns pics this morning on this site, my fate was sealed!

I certainly didn't do anything special, just went to my dealer, they had a slot open, which was a complete surprise to me and I went for it, but shoot, six months, a year, it's not a big deal really.

Chris

·
Registered
167 Posts
CanSol,

You can't blame someone for getting ahead of you. You never know when someone gets tired of waiting and drops out. When this happens there is an opening if there isn't a waiting list, so I assume Bullseye's timing was perfect to fill an opening. It has crossed my mind to drop out, to wait for the second year for possibly better quality, more options, more colors and probably higher MSRP, but I figure there will be thousands built ahead of me, so I'm sure the bugs will be worked out by the time they build mine. I don't mind waiting at all. The longer the wait the better the quality!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the dealer told me they didn't have anyone on the list who wanted to commit to ordering until they can test drive one!
Chris

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
test drive

It's probably going to be a long time before anybody can test drive this ncar unless they know someone who has one. Most dealers won't have them in their showrooms for quite awhile because their shipping sold cars first

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
SCSOLSTICE said:
How many cars will they produce per day?
The number we have always heard is 20,000 cars.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Every dealer is different, many have sold their entire first and 2nd allocations but some dealers have some left in first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, think it all depends on where you live as to availability from the dealer. As stated was amazed when my dealer had no waiting list and no one wanted to put money down.
Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
bullseye said:
Actually the dealer told me they didn't have anyone on the list who wanted to commit to ordering until they can test drive one!
Chris
that's my opinion also. they should get these test cars into the GM auto show in motion events ASAP. that would increase their pre-orders.

·
Registered
269 Posts
mceb said:
Every dealer is different, many have sold their entire first and 2nd allocations but some dealers have some left in first.
I am sorry for the rant earlier. It's frustrating that for all of the Pontiac dealers in BC the total first allocation was 6 cars. Not for one dealer, that's for all of them combined.

You have single dealers in the US that got 3 times that.

SolsticeDesire suggested that I go to an American Dealer. That is not an option as GM will not give me a letter to state that they meet all of the Safety specs in the US until they are actually in production, they also will not honour the warranty until the vehicle is 6 months old or has 10,000 miles on it.

Looks like it will be a long, frustrating wait.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Actually allocation of 6 is pretty good. My dealer had 4 here in northern NJ. Only giant mega dealers get 10 or 15.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mceb said:
Actually allocation of 6 is pretty good. My dealer had 4 here in northern NJ. Only giant mega dealers get 10 or 15.
mceb, I think he is saying that six lucky dealers got an allocation of 1 car each, while the rest of the unlucky dealers got no allocation. So, maybe not so good after all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts