Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 10yr old stock battery finally gave up the ghost, so I decided to replace it with a lightweight unit.

The stock battery weighed in at just over 35lbs. I bought a Deltran Battery Tender LiFePO4 battery from Amazon along with a charger and some brass terminal posts to mate to the stock terminal cables. It's a 480CCA battery that weighs in at just 3.75 pounds.

Mounting was quite a but easier than I had expected, it just took some pondering before I began. I ended up being able to mount it without needing any new holes or modification to the battery mounting plane.

I went back and forth a few times about whether to mount if upright or flat, and as soon as I had decided to mount it flat I discovered that the brass terminal posts I had picked up to use with the battery wouldn't fit that way. Upright it is.

First things first, since it comes only 70% charged I let it top off connected to the charger.

Plenty of room to spare on the mounting platform

I used a length of 1/8" thick aluminum angle as a side brace to keep if blocked in. There is a lip on the back side of the tray that serves to hold the other side. There also happened to be available holes that were perfect for some lengths of 5/16" threaded rod and that were just the right distance apart to use for hold-downs. Serendipity!
I put a flanged nut on the ends of the threaded rod, pushed them up through the holes and then used long threaded standoff nuts to secure them to the tray. An 8" Simpson Strong-Tie strap with holes drilled in the right spot and secured by wing nuts keeps the battery from floating away.

Everything bolted down, buttoned up, and connected.

Started up on the first try!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Very nice battery support built, but seems awkward and that top metal bracket scares the hell out of me... :surprise:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
How did you choose this battery?

The Amazon write up is for motorcycles and other small vehicles. Let us know how it works long term. The size makes it easier to install

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
How did you choose this battery?

The Amazon write up is for motorcycles and other small vehicles. Let us know how it works long term. The size makes it easier to install
Your absolutely correct!
Here is a picture of that battery mounted on a motorcycle. One thing for sure, he's not going to damage any electrical in that car with the CCA rating, interesting....

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
I would be concerned about the reserve capacity of this battery during any medium-long idle periods, unless you plan to keep it plugged in to a charger when you aren't driving the car.

The typical stock battery has a reserve capacity of 90 minutes, which means that it could (theoretically) drive a 25 amp load for that long, so its energy capacity is roughly 450 watt-hours. The mini-battery shows a capacity of 96 watt-hours, so it has about 20% that of the original battery. Under some circumstances I can see this being too little, as the car does use power even when it isn't running.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My Solstice is not a daily driver - it's essentially a dedicated auto-x car, thus the lightweight battery for weight savings (note the forum section we're in).

I plan to keep it on the tender to stay charged since I only drive it a few times a month.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I had a similar battery in a motorcycle once. It worked great until I accidentally let it get a little to discharged. I was working on my lights. It only dipped down to 12.5 volts or so. I used the method the manufacture said to recharge the battery but it was never right after that. Until that day it worked great. If you plan on keeping it on a tender you'll probably be okay.

I would be a little concerned about that metal plate you have it strapped down with. Looks like it hardly needs to move to short. Coat it, replace it with plastic, or grind/cut some space where the lugs are to give yourself some room for error.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts