Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, how many of you put your Solstice away for the winter? I live in Maryland and I withdraw mine from insurance November-March each year, park it in my driveway, and put it under cover. I have another small 4 wheel drive car I tool around for the winter ☺

·
Registered
191 Posts
I live in Maryland also and mine is kept in a garage. The only time I may drive it in winter, is to a cars and coffee and only in good weather and not snow/salt or rain on the roads. Other than that, its stays tucked away.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I know this has been covered before but I always enjoy a good conversation when it comes to cars .My car is stored from November till mid April depending on the weather .My routine : it's in my barn which has a cement floor and is insulated , parked on rubber horse stall mats with a large tarp covering the complete underneath to prevent moisture from seeping up through the concrete ,it's on jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires plus I start it up once a month and put it in gear to get the fluids moving in the trans and rear end .it's waxed and detailed ,top cleaned and treated with RaggTopp, all rubber gaskets are treated with silicone grease , oil and filter change , battery is on a tender , gas tank is full with fuel stabilizer added , bounce fabric softener sheets in the interior ,trunk and engine compartment and mothballs placed underneath at each corner of the car to keep the critters at bay . car is of course covered with a quality car cover , on a warm day I will get under the car and spray and wipe down everything with WD40 keeps things clean and lubricated . :grin:

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Mine is licensed year round and only gets parked if there is snow - not that common around here (although last year was an exception!).

Went out yesterday and there was a thin skim of ice - high performance summer tires do not like that sort of thing! In fact they don't work well at low temperatures either.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just dug my coupe, having been covered with a breathable cover, out of the garage after not having been driven since January 2017. I was surprised to find the leather upholstery molded/mildewed...

Bill

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I just dug my coupe, having been covered with a breathable cover, out of the garage after not having been driven since January 2017. I was surprised to find the leather upholstery molded/mildewed...

Bill
If you don't have a heated area that is par for the course. A dehumidifier inside the car can help prevent it, or just fire it up once a month and run it until it is warm, with the heater on - that helps too and keeps all the seals in decent shape, although it is not as good as actually driving it even a short distance when warm.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I just bought my Sol this spring so I'm putting into hibernation for the winter for the first time. If I lived just 70 miles from here, in Albuquerque, I would not put my car away for the winter. But I live in the mountains near Taos and we get 6-10 feet of snow in the winter. After a solid snow, I won't see the ground again until March. And my job at the ski resort keeps me too busy to drive anyway.

Mine is going into storage in a friend's barn next week. Cement floors, rubber mats under the wheels, tires over inflated to prevent flat spots, dryer sheets and mint mouse repellent in the trunk/interior and around the motor, moth balls scattered underneath, and a battery tender to keep the battery happy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
and a battery tender to keep the battery happy.
not driving the car has cost me 2 batteries.... the OEM because it sat so long discharged that it couldn't be revived, and the second because, unbeknownst, the battery tender failed....
:banghead::banghead:

Bill

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't normally park my car for the winter, but my Sol has been garaged since the white stuff started coming down early this week. Does ash count as snow?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do the same as some of you. I fire it up every other week, turn on the heat high to dry out the inside, keep the seals in good shape, and also charges the battery. I've been do it for 3 years and and it seams run fine in the spring when I bring it out of hibernation.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts

Bill
Another option is dessicant packs Walmart sells a product for boats and RVs Damprid it's around 9 bucks for a tub I'd get 2 one for each side of the car it eliminates moisture in stored vehicles .

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
living in tropical upstate NY, i have been storing "summer cars" since my teens. it's either that or watch the salt turn them into a pile of rust.

the best times were back when you could buy a "winter beater" for $200, drive the crap out of it, do donuts and play shopping cart soccer, then put it in the demolition derby the next summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Delaware along the shore, I don't really "store" mine for the winter as our winters aren't usually very bad... With that being said it may sit for several legs before a nice day comes along so I cane stretch its legs

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are storing ours in a 'ready-to-use' state. She will come out when the weather dictates. Today there was a film of ice on the roads, and as mentioned, we have found that the grippy summer tires change personality on icy roads.
Ready-to-use includes a battery tender (learned from motorcycle storage), stabilizer in a FULL tank of gas, clean interior, fresh wax, top has been 303'ed, all junk removed from trunk and interior (cloth, sweaters, hats, etc). I'm now looking for some rubber pads to park on, as learned from this forum :dthumbs:
She is ready to go when the sun shines!
And will be getting some new parts over the winter when driving conditions are not agreeable.

Hope you all get some sunny breaks this winter.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
thought i would follow up on this. i bought the most well reviewed "electronic pest repellent" i could find on amazon and i do believe it is working. i have 2 traps set out in the garage and in previous years i have always caught 1 or 2 mice a week through the winter. it has been about 2 months and i have been putting fresh peanut butter in the traps every couple of weeks and have yet to catch anything.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Our cars are up and down and in and out all winter, just not when there is snow on the ground. Generally I am adding new crap, gauges, lights, third battery, new vents for the fenders . .. the list is pretty much endless. And I take it out for a test run after any updates so they get exercised a lot.

Mine live in the PunisheR garage. It has two heaters, is fully insulated, has three Echo's driving the full sized stereo with surround sound and a woofer, satellite big screen, Apple TV, disco lights, neon signs, mosaic glass backsplash over the work bench, voice controlled lighting, two lifts, and a partridge in a pear tree. So with the two dust suckers and the checker board race deck flooring they spend their time in silent splendor.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Winter and Summer Storage

I put the summer Solstice to bed in OH in November. Fresh oil, full tank, mouse repellent, shaped rubber mats under tires, cheap cover for dust, battery tender, in my workshop.
This week I brought the winter Solstice out of storage in AZ. No special prep, just a battery tender. First I had to blow the sawdust off the car; the contractor had set his saw up in the garage. Tires had deflated to 22 psi. She started without hesitation and first stop was the car wash. :smile2:
Both cars have their original batteries!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
In Pa. my sol goes to sleep in Nov. in an insulated garage Covered up, fresh oil, full tank of fresh fuel w/ stabilizer. I put dryer sheets throughout the interior, trunk, and air filter box. Just started it last weekend and let it run until it was good and warm. After that it won't see sunlight until April depending on weather. I miss driving it so regular visits help with the winter blues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts