Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Solstice Owners -
Any of you encounter any power steering leakage from your Solstice GXP? Just purchased an 09 Coupe with 12,000 miles on it and power steering fluid has started leaking from power steering unit. The vehicle is still covered by the 5 yr / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I was hoping it would be covered under this warranty. I have an appointment set up for next week but the service tech couldn't guarantee the leak would be covered.

Thought I would check forum to get any tips. I saw some stop leak was recommneded for small leaks. Never thought this was a robust repair. Feedback appreciated.

Lar Bear

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
The power steering pump and steering rack are not part of the powertrain and as such are probably not covered. A new power steering pump is actually pretty cheap. If you can change it yourself you are talking a few bucks. Its a little messy but I have changed a lot of them. Its not a big deal.

Changing out the steering rack can be a bit more complicated and expensive. Are you sure its not just a hose or fitting?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The leak is within the power steering rack. First thing I checked was the pump, hoses, and the fittings on the rack.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Dealer may repair / replace due to the low mileage. I have 16,000KM on my 2009, and the Service Manager approved the repair of my power steering rack under warranty for this reason

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey there Lar Bear,

Sorry to hear about your vehicle issue. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update to all Forum readers. I took my Sol Coupe in today to the local dealer to address this leak I had. It turned out not to be coming from my power steering rack. The gasket on the engine cam shaft cover was leaking. The dealer replaced the gasket under the 5 yr/ 50,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. I am a happy "Sol Man"!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Happy Sol!! That's funny! Glad your Sol is fixed Sol Man!!

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Lar Bear, is your valve cover powder coated?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts