Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from the posts that Mallet will be offering a Turbocharger and Supercharger upgrades. I also understand that J Body Performance will offer a turbocharger. However, was there any discussion on GM performance part upgrades other than what has already been announced? It sounds to me that one of the requirements for a supercharger/turbocharger will be to port the heads, etc.. Is this something that a Pontiac dealer service dept. will do? Personally, I'd prefer to use GM parts for all performance upgrades (with perhaps the exception of a Magnaflow exhaust)...in order to retain the warranty and servicing by a Pontiac dealer. Will the Mallet installed supercharger/turbocharger void the GM warranty on the Ecotec? (Terpfan, Todd Raleigh, Delnari.....you guys have any input?)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can not say what will or will not void your GM warranty. But someone correct me here on this, once you crack open the engine (removal of the head) the drivetrain warranty on the engine is voided. Changing induction system on your engine should only be done if you are willing to accept responsibility for its results. Buying a bolt-on unit comes with risks unless you can know how to make sure what you are buying is done right. The best solution, IMHO, is get an expert to do it for you if you are not sure of what your are doing.

Modifying a new car is always a risky business. If you can live with the financial risk should things go bad then by all means "go for it". Think of it this way, only gamble with what you can afford to lose!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota offers a supercharger for the Tacoma (as well as I believe Pontiac for the Vibe) that can be dealer installed and doesn't void the warranty. However, far as I know they both are bolt on applicatoins with no need to port the heads or anything else to change the compression. I'm not sure I want to take the chance with anything that voids the GM warranty....at least during the initial 3 year/36,000 warranty period.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GM offers a Supercharger upgrade kit for the 2.4L pre-ECOTEC engine and the 1.8L low end Vibe. The Vibe kit is actually the Toyota kit since it's the Toyota engine. There are currently no plans as far as we know for the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC to have a kit made for it. Realisticly I don't expect there to ever be a kit for this car either. The 10.4:1 CR makes the base engine very anti-boost frinedly, and the chances of GM making a kit that also replaces the head or pistons is very unlikely. Because the ammount of work required to make a kit like that and the price of the kit would more then liekly dwarf the price of jsut buying the crate version of the new Turbocharged ECOTEC.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
brentil, great point. We can enjoy our NA cars now and if we want to upgrade can later pick up a turbo version engine. Then we could have a sleeper with no external badging to give it away. :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's never a good idea to do so much modification on a new car unless you'd like to void the warranty.

Now with a turbo model, you can easily remove the modifications and put the stock parts back on for warranty reasons if you ever need to have the car serviced.

Plus most dealerships won't void your warranty if the car is modified unless they can prove that the modification is what caused the warranty'd part to fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Warranty vs. Aftermarket

There is a Federal Law that protects consumers called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Here is a link with some details:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Link

In my experiences, the dealers have had to prove that the aftermarket products caused the damage in question under warranty.

Jim

·
5,641 Posts
Lets work throught the correct words and concepts on warranty and modifications. This infomation will be According to the standard 2006 GM Warranty and Owner Assistance Infomation booklet that comes with every vehicle.

Void: Only GM can void a vehicle's warranty coverage. Only in certain situations. The wording is: "Important: This warranty is void in vehicles currently or previously titled as salvage, scrapped, junked, or totaled." This misconceptions here are that modifications will "void" the warranty or that a dealer can "void" the warranty.

Denies, Denied, Denial: Warranty coverage for a failure can be "denied" by a dealer. That is the extent of our powers. If a car has been altered or modified, then covrage "denial" is what would happen. Your warranty is still in effect, it is just the failure presented will not be covered.

Alterations/Modifications: Again from the booklet: "Original Equipment Alterations This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from the modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by GM. Examples of the types of alterations that would not be covered include the installation or use of any non-GM parts, accessories, and materials, or the cutting, welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle's original equipment parts and components." Pretty straight forward, you change it, it breaks, it isn't covered.

Aftermarket: Like "void" and "denied", "aftermarket" and "modification/alteration" are sometimes used in place of each other, and it is wrong and changes meanings. "Aftermarket" should refer to parts that are not made/sold by the original equipment manufacturer (GM). Example most used is Oil Filters. Fram is an "aftermarket" oil filter, buit would not be considered a "modification"

Magnuson-Moss: This federal warranty law includes protection for "aftermarket" parts installed on vehicles covered by a warranty. Before any warranty coverage can be "denied", proof must be offered that the "aftermarket" part caused the failure. What it doesn't protect is "alterations/modifications", although many believe it does. A failure caused by an "alteration/modifiction" can have coverage "denied" by a dealer without offering proof.

GM Performance Parts: Even a GM performance Part may casue a failure to be "denied". But GM plans for that possibility. One of the supercharger or turbo packages GM offers actually includes it's own extended service agreement ot cover the engine becuase the "alteration/modification" would cause an engine failure claim to be "denied" under GM's own warranty.

Pretty straight forward until something happens and everyone starts using the wrong words and terms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts