Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently inadvertently ran over a soda can on the street and was wondering if that could cause any damage to underneath or get caught on anything under the Solstice (base model) or tires?
I was attempting to position my Solstice to where the can would go underneath in the middle, but I think the wind blew it and either my tire ran it over or it bounced off underneath (didn't see the can on the street). I looked under and in the hood but didn't see the can. Tires appear to be fine, but just didn't want to worry if this could cause any potential damage to any parts.

Also, after I clean my Solstice and a few weeks pass, I'll notice dirt/dusk dark streaks running from some areas (photos attached) and was wondering if that was just dirt or something else?

Thanks,
Nelson

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
The soda can didn't cause any damage.

Do you dry your car off after washing it? The streaks just look like dirt that gets discharged from under your door handles and mirrors after the car gets wet. Those spots like to retain a little residual water post washing. They'll drain and streak for awhile after you wash the car. Once the waters all gone (it's done dripping), just clean those spots, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Twice now I've run over plastic bottles I didn't see in the road and thought I'd blown a tire when the bottle popped.

I agree with Saveaux, the pictures look like grime from the door handles and mirrors. But picture #2 (that's number - not hashtag) leftside jpg, looks to me like air pollution grime (hood & fender) after a heavy dew or light rain. Living in the country we get a lot of pollen, but I've seen that pollution grime during my trips to Birmingham. I keep my Solstice covered as much as possible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ran over an armadillo last year in my GXP. The car was fine after I washed off the blood but it sounded like I hit an IED. That's the day I learned Texas isn't the only state that has armadillos.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I ran over an armadillo last year in my GXP. The car was fine after I washed off the blood but it sounded like I hit an IED.
Armadillos are enormously stupid creatures. They apparently like to wait until the vehicle is directly over them, and then jump. (Not applicable to a Solstice, obviously.)

I took out a turtle with my intercooler at ~80MPH a few months ago. I still occasionally find a piece of shell. :( Poor Franklin. In my defense, it was trying to cross a six-lane interstate.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
I have an electronic leaf blower that I use to blow the excess water off my cars after I wash them . This gets all the water out of all the cracks and crevices and cuts down on my drying time it's especially good on the top ( no water marks )and engine compartment .Hope this helps !

·
Registered
437 Posts
them armoreddilldows are a mess,not as bad as the suicide squirrel's we have hear but I remember lots of them in LA, squished and waiting to be squished. we have them hear too but they apparently have some sort of brain in the Florida armoreddilldows..Ive never seen a dead copper colored one.they sure are pretty, not like the bristly gray std version witch apparently hate life. it kinda looks like the car wasn't washed, just rinsed and that's the crud that was dislodged and drizzeling down the hood&other parts.I never rinse the car,always a good wash&dry then go back and dry again, move it into the carport then dry again&cover it. I do hate the spots the cover leaves on the windshield. these solstices seem to gather the most road dust of any car Ive ever owned.....kinda like it's a static cling car. Possibly it's brake dust....I hate to change my shews befor there dead....but I may have to do it. I should probably detail mine today if I get tyme.
give it a good wash with good car wash soap and be sure to rinse before each panel dries, then hose it all off good& dry good. you may want to get some detailer and go over it real good when it's clean&dry. be sure to go over the detailer 2 or 3 times to get it all off it isant a 1 shot thing as they say it is. and use good microfiber towels and change them often,never use one that you dropped, nomather how clean it looks, and then throw them in the washer with you clothes and then dry for next thyme. I have different color ones for applying, removing and wheels.not good to mix them up if you want to keep the paint nice and slick. how the weather? it's awesome hear today!!!!if I didnt have so much to do I wood go to the beach...( funny I live at the beach but never seem to go much nowdays..) never thyme to do what you want to do....time is a ticken away for all of us. get out and have some fun!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I have an electronic leaf blower that I use to blow the excess water off my cars after I wash them . This gets all the water out of all the cracks and crevices and cuts down on my drying time it's especially good on the top ( no water marks )and engine compartment .Hope this helps !
I use an 18V Ryobi "Shop Blower" to do the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The soda can didn't cause any damage.

Do you dry your car off after washing it? The streaks just look like dirt that gets discharged from under your door handles and mirrors after the car gets wet. Those spots like to retain a little residual water post washing. They'll drain and streak for awhile after you wash the car. Once the waters all gone (it's done dripping), just clean those spots, it'll be fine.
Oh, that's a good relief.

No, I don't dry my car off after washing it. Ahh ok. I'll try that out. Thank you Saveaux. I appreciate you.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
My neighbors and people driving by probably think I'm nuts when I am leaf blowing the water off my cars...:p
but it works nice and gets that water out of the crevasses.
i usually take mine down my road at 100mph to get most of the water off, then towel dry what's left when i get back. .....and my neighbors KNOW i'm nuts.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
My neighbors and people driving by probably think I'm nuts when I am leaf blowing the water off my cars...:p
but it works nice and gets that water out of the crevasses.
Unless the body inspector for your car was absent the day it passed out of the factory, your car will have several crevices but no crevasses! ;)

I like the idea of using a blower to dry the car - I usually wipe them down with clean dry cloths, but as long as I can avoid pointing the blower too close to the ground, thus covering my wet car with debris off the drieway, the blower would seem to be a good way to go. Must try it!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I like the idea of using a blower to dry the car - I usually wipe them down with clean dry cloths, but as long as I can avoid pointing the blower too close to the ground, thus covering my wet car with debris off the drieway, the blower would seem to be a good way to go. Must try it!
I always use an (electric) leaf blower after I wash the car... starting from the roof and going down, blowing the water as I go (and into the side mirrors too, to avoid the drips from them). It doesn't get ALL the water dried off, just most of it. But then it's a much quicker job with the towel to get the last droplets.

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I still dry the bulk of the car with a microfiber towel. I use the blower on the mirrors, the (fake) hood vents, and the (fake) eggcrate grills. Also the real grills.

Capture.PNG

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I usually just rinse my Sky; it's usually just dusty because I don't drive it in the rain. I take it to the self service wash, use the high pressure rinse, then the spot free rinse. By the time I drive it the 4 miles to home, it's mostly dry and I use a microfiber towel to complete the job.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Do you treat your top? I'm wondering if this isn't from "excessively" treating your top. I did that once....and it only took once. Now the car is a garage queen and never sees rain...unless I get caught on a longer cruise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always hand wash with soft water. After washing, I use a silicone water blade to take most of the water off and then an Absorber towel to finish up. I might find a few streakers afterward that necessitate a re-wipe. I still believe in waxing annually, so most of water beads up and runs off on its own.
I like the leaf blower idea and will try that. I like the beer drinking while waiting even better and will try that, too.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I always hand wash with soft water. After washing, I use a silicone water blade to take most of the water off and then an Absorber towel to finish up. I might find a few streakers afterward that necessitate a re-wipe. I still believe in waxing annually, so most of water beads up and runs off on its own.
I like the leaf blower idea and will try that. I like the beer drinking while waiting even better and will try that, too.
Annual waxing with standard wax is not enough - that is about 3 months with average weather exposure. If you use synthetic wax / sealant - 6 months to 12 months is fine, depending upon exposure to the sun / elements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts