Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this may be a silly question, but I have 2008 GXP. Only one Key, and one remote. I just want to get an extra key made. Is there a trick to that, or can I just go anywhere and get one made? Or do I need to contact GM about it? Not really worried about the remote.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
It's not expensive to get a key cut at a GM dealer. Some hardware stores can do it as well but not all of them. If my memory serves me correctly it was about $30 at GM.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
The key has a chip inside that has to be recognized by the BCM before you can start the car. It will start and the immobilizer will immediately shut the car off. the key needs to be programmed to the car using the "learn" process you can do it.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Even Home Depot has "chip" keys that you can get copied from your original - as do most ACE (and probably other) hardware stores. As Rob says you will then need to program the key yourself, following these instructions as listed in the owner's manual...

To program the new key:
1. Verify that the new key has a + stamped on it.
2. Insert the already programmed key in the ignition
and start the engine.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to
LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to the
ON/RUN position within five seconds of the original
key being turned to the LOCK/OFF position.
The security light will turn off once the key has
been programmed.
5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 if additional keys are to
be programmed.

The remotes are available quite cheaply off eBay, but have to be programmed by a dealer (or someone with a TechII device). Just that can cost you $100 or more depending on the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I checked at my local Ace and they couldn't get the chip key. Bought the keys on-line, going to see if they will cut it for me since they couldn't get it.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Try again...

Don't know where you live, but here in dear old Florida you can get the keys at the local Ace Hardware, at least in my area. I think because I'm a Veteran it was free. Look just like the GM key and, with TS's programming info, work. 0:)

If Ace says can't do it, you are dealing with the wrong employee. Be pleasant and look for an old guy!

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was an old guy, owner of the store pointed me to him. I commented that it was odd considering their little placard for the chip key had a Solstice on it.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Find another Ace...my brother worked part time at one in SC before he retired for good. I would not have bought air at that store. They are individually owned. In Gainesville, FL, service is excellent and the stores have shop cats. Not my local ACE but I've found most of what I needed there when in the area. They've been helpful. The local find anything hardware stores all went away.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my flip key.

It was cut at an GM dealer and programmed on a tech 2 at the same dealer.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131848847306
Can anyone verify that this flip key will work on an '06? The ebay site says it won't work on ANY solstice. Obviously that is incorrect.
That was the key I got, it said it wouldn't work on a Solstice for me either but it did.

I only knew about it because another forum member had it.

This was his post along with videos.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/index.php?page=active_topics#/topics/153138

Should work on all years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I checked at my local Ace and they couldn't get the chip key. Bought the keys on-line, going to see if they will cut it for me since they couldn't get it.
Same hear they had a scanner that told if the key had a chip or not with a buzzer. But no chipped keys for sale too many to carry? Bought one at the dealer was about $15 more than a Walmart. Played dumb and even had them program it that it would work for sure

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got 2 chipped blanks from ebay, linked below.

A pair cost less then 9 bucks, with free shipping.

My local locksmith cut both of them for about 3 dollars, total.

Then I just programmed them from the driver's seat, as described.

Piece of cake!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-For-Brand-New-Replacement-Transponder-Ignition-Chip-Key-Uncut-Blade-Blank/121253902208?epid=7026485540&hash=item1c3b4bb780:g:fAkAAOSwfMlcDmeG:sc:USPSFirstClass!22932!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even Home Depot has "chip" keys that you can get copied from your original - as do most ACE (and probably other) hardware stores. As Rob says you will then need to program the key yourself, following these instructions as listed in the owner's manual...

To program the new key:
1. Verify that the new key has a + stamped on it.
2. Insert the already programmed key in the ignition
and start the engine.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to
LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to the
ON/RUN position within five seconds of the original
key being turned to the LOCK/OFF position.
The security light will turn off once the key has
been programmed.
5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 if additional keys are to
be programmed.

The remotes are available quite cheaply off eBay, but have to be programmed by a dealer (or someone with a TechII device). Just that can cost you $100 or more depending on the dealer.
There is Also one other trick you could try. If you have the pod and your key is broke, make just the key and tape your pod as close as you can to your ignition and it will puck it up. Just thought I would let people know. It does not work on all cars but most. It just had to read the pod to start. And if you tape it close it should work on most cars but not all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi All

I inquired with Home Depot locations in Vancouver BC in regard to getting a copy of my only key for my 06 Solstice. They do not stock it ( part # B111-PT ). 2 local locksmiths told me they would charge $100 +. Is that my only option? I appreciate the easy-programming info, but does anyone know where I might get a second cut, to just unlock the doors and start the car? Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,489 Posts
You can buy the blank on-line, then have it cut locally. My locksmith charged $5 to cut a key, and $10 because I took him a switchblade key and asked him to disassemble it.

The machine at Home Depot may be able to cut it, but i do not know because of the switchblade style that i had. Whether they will cut your blank or not is a question.

You should also be able to get one cut at a GM dealer. Actually, with your VIN and proof of ownership, I think they can do one without an existing key, but maybe not.

If you want to get real extreme, you can hand cut the key with a small file. I did this once to create a key for a Pantera that didn't have one.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
The machine at Home Depot may be able to cut it, but i do not know because of the switchblade style that i had. Whether they will cut your blank or not is a question.
It took some convincing and me saying I wouldn't hold him accountable if it failed, but I had a guy at Home Depot use their laser-guided machine to cut my switchblade key (I had taken it apart myself, beforehand). Worked fine. Best part was that he didn't even charge me to do it! I was happy :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts