Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a TPMS reset tool. The cheapest around (~$30) is the Motorcraft TPMS19 for Ford cars. Now I would assume that all the various TPMS sensors work to a standard (same frequency, same message structure, etc), but don't want to order one if it won't work on my car.

Does anyone know if the Motocraft unit will, in fact, work on our GM cars? I've googled heavily, but no answer (pro OR con).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would be wary. I can't give you a straight answer, but most of the different cars I've replaced TPMS sensors in have had various ways of resetting them based on their make. Most GM's have a manual procedure. Fords and Toyotas I've noticed have you put in the serial number from the TPMS sensor so the module can pick up its frequency. In my experience, even tools that say they will work on a particular model, sometime will not. So like I said before, I'd be a little wary of the tool, and I suppose it could work, but I've never been that lucky with TPMS stuff. On the other hand, at this link Motorcraft TPMS19 Remote Tire Pressure Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive
there are a few amazon reviews that say it works with non FoMoCo stuff.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Soup - this is all "gut feel" as I haven't been able to nail down specifics as of yet (but will continue to snoop as time allows.)

I would imagine that most if not all TPMS' were developed and patented by suppliers to the car makers, not the car makers themselves. If that is the case, then it would be in their best interest to make a standardized system that can be used on any vehicles from any OEM. Just makes sense - sell a bajillion of the things instead of a zillion and make more $$.

BUT - the OEM's may have requested certain "differentiators" in the system to either create a proprietary system for their vehicles or even just a marketing angle.

Or there may well be a couple of competing systems from different suppliers, which would likely result in incompatibilities.

The initial information I've found had some sources that developed the first systems in Europe but didn't state whether those companies are the only ones in the game and brought it to the U.S. or if others licensed or created their own systems.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
"Has also worked with a handfull of other sensors that were not FMP. Great tool "

But I would think if it worked on GM then the reviewer would have been more specific. But then again, I'm only guessing "FMP" is referring to Ford.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, thanks again. Yeah I missed that.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
A little research

OTC - TPMS Reset Tool
Part Number: 3834
Line: OTC
1 year warranty on repair
• UPC: 731413557323
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Tool

Detailed Description

The OTC's TPR is a fast and simple to use stand alone TPMS activation tool
Works on all known TPMS sensors through 2009.
•Bright graphic display and simple navigation buttons enable vehicle selection for fast activation.
•Automatically adjusts activation output power to eliminate cross activation of near sensors.
•Easily Updated with a wireless connection to the Genisys scan tool when new software is installed on the Genisys.

Why my current TPMS Tool cannot trigger / activate / reset some sensors ?

That is because your TPMS Triggerring tool is not compatible with that sensor. In other word, it does not carry the TPMS protocole required to communicate with that specific sensor.

TPMS sensors on the market are manufactured by different companies.

Those companies did not meet to agree on one TPMS wireless protocole. As a result, there are lots of different TPMS sensor protocoles and this number keeps growing as new sensors are coming to the market every day.

So if you purchased a TPMS tool a while ago, you will soon start seeing vehicles from which you cannot trigger the TPMS sensors unless your TPMS Tool can be upgraded over the internet with new TPMS sensors protocoles.

This is why you should make sure that your TPMS Tool can be upgradable easilly through the internet, or else become obsolete quickly.

Why are all TPMS sensors using different protocoles and why ATEQ has access to those protocoles ?

That is because TPMS sensor manufacturers did not agree on one protocole. On top of that, those TPMS manufacturers tend to keep their protocoles secret.

Fortunetely they are always obliged to release those protocoles to car manufacturers if they wish that those manufacturers mount their product onto their cars.

And that is where ATEQ has a real advantage over other TPMS tool manufacturers. ATEQ also equips car assembly lines with TPMS activating antenas and Tools. So the car manufacturers give us the TPMS protocoles which we can then implement into our online TPMS protocole database years before they actually hit the market.

So when you purchase an ATEQ upgradable TPMS tool such as the ATEQ VT15, the ATEQ VT30 or the ATEQ VT55 OBDII, your tool will always be compatible with upcoming sensors.

Why prefer a "Universal" TPMS tool over a conventional one ?

So you can trigger all TPMS sensors on the market as opposed to just a few.

Not only do we advise you to get a universal TPMS activating devise such as all the devises ATEQ sells, but we also recommend you to get an upgradable one, so you can keep it "Universal" as new sensors and protocoles come to the market.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rob, sounds like the answer is probably "NO". But then why should I trust a manufacturer's blurb that spells 'protocol' as 'protocole'?

(Just kidding)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I reset mine via the DIC and the key FOB. Instructions for doing so are in the manual.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I reset mine via the DIC and the key FOB. Instructions for doing so are in the manual.
Do you really mean, using the fob and letting air out of each tire? Cos that's what MY manual says, but it's a real pain and doesn't work for me.

If there's a different way, please do tell!

(I know there was a TSB out for this, but I'd thought it had been applied for my car. Now with no bumper-bumper warranty left I prefer to apply the money it would cost me to redo the TSB to the tool and save the hassle of a dealer visit to boot.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts