Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K I just installed a stage 2 supercharger in my 2008 solstice all stock might put gxp muffler on it. Now I'm not gonna be racing it but I will want to open it up sometimes. I was told that if I run it hard for a long staight I could easily blow my motor. And I was also told that the 06 and 07 had much more superior rods (I think that's the part he said) and that the 08 are known to fail with hard driving. Is this true and if so what should I by to insure the life of my baby. When I bought the kit I read that the stock 2.4 can handle it. But now I'm worried. Most of the time ill just use it for passing and such

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
appel - who told you that the engine couldn't handle it? Do I assume it's a DDM stage II? I've not dealt with them, but every review I've read on this site says they are great to deal with and will gladly answer any of your questions.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The rods in later 2.4s are sintered. They are as strong and reliable as the forged rods, cheaper to make, but can be more prone to failure under high shock loads. As long as you are running the approved DDM Works tune and do not experience long periods of lean running under high throttle you should be fine.

There are hundreds of similar conversions running around and making their drivers smile.

Talk with Dave at DDM Works and he can provide you with the answers you seek.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
You can pretty much easily blow any motor if you try hard enough:driving:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's true. I'm not gonna mention his name he was just giving me his honest opinion. He said he blew up two motors with supercharger and one was right after he put it in and he took it to a drag strip and never made it to the end. Now he dinsay it would hurt my motor as long as I don't run it hard.... But how hard is too hard and if I'm say driving on highway what is considered pushing it. For instance what rpm range for what amount of sustained time would be harmfull

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know DDM wouldn't put a kit together that the LE5 couldn't handle. I haven't heard a single bad review of this kit. You'd be surprised, even with the different rods, the LE5 can take a decent beating. But if you're still not convinced, call Dave like the others suggested and he'll re-assure ya.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Well that's true. I'm not gonna mention his name he was just giving me his honest opinion. He said he blew up two motors with supercharger and one was right after he put it in and he took it to a drag strip and never made it to the end.
Sounds like a detonation issue. Was this guru talking about a DDM kit? I'd believe a home brew, but it would surprise me if DDM let anything out their doors that would come back to haunt them - that would be economic idiocy and they are not fools.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it was bought from ddm and I have talked to Dave and Ivy at ddm and they reassured me as well. The have been a tremendous help brew my entire enstall. Very good people over there at ddm. Like Manual said any engine can be blown Im just wandering just how far you can punch this kit. Anyone who has a stage 2 installed and want to chime in on how far and hard they push theirs and haven't had any problems would be great

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't have the ddm kit, but I am running a GT28 in a previously mentioned "home brewed" set up. I'm only running 6 psi, but I make just a little more than the stage 2 kit at the wheels. (253 VS. 235). My turbo kit is reliable, but it is pieced together, and I have yet to have any problem, and I know DDM's supercharger kits are way better engineered than anything I cooked up in my garage. Its true the newer LE5's have powdered rods, but 235whp is not enough to destroy an LE5. If DDM stage II was too much for the base, there wouldn't be a stage III. So kick back, nail the throttle, and enjoy your hard work!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
As Rob and Bill mentioned, pre-detonation will kill the rods quicker than anything and that'll most likely come from a problem with the tune (or a hardware malfunction).

I'm sorry I can't weigh in on specific 08 numbers either but the same sort of thing with trash any of our motors and it's something always on my mind. Monitor A/F, try and keep intake /underhood heat to a minimum (for our turbo setups especially) and have a nice fallback like meth injection to keep the charge cooler in higher RPM/boost levels.

In addition to hoping someone pops in here with a SC, you could try something like this to find potential users to query. Unfortunately I don't know of any other good way of finding specifics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:solsticeforum.com+08+supercharger&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS489US489&oq=site:solsticeforum.com+08+supercharger&aqs=chrome.0.57j58.2845j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks solstice06..... I have a new question. I never had a car that had a traction control I could deactivate. Say when I do want to get on it good and have fun is it better to deactivate the traction control. I mean I love deactivating it and having old school rear wheel feel to through my car around corners. But will the added torque be too much and wear down and break the traction control...I don't know much about TC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts