Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the 06 base model manual transmission Solstice last weekend. I was very pleased with the car. Well that was until the rear differential top mount (forgive me if that isn't the correct term) snapped off the rear differential. So I bought a new one. Installed it on the car drove the car around. Some cars wanted to race so I figured what the hell. Well everything was smooth until the end of the race and once again that same piece cracked right in half... I rather not throw a new one into it seeing as this appears to be a reoccuring issue. So my question for ya'll today would be..... Does the 07-09 model rear differential fit in the 06? I don't mind doing custom work to make it fit, but I wanna know how much custom work am I gonna be looking at here. Great car, poor differential.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 06 diff is held into the car with three bolts, two on a rear crossmember and 1 on the passenger side frame rail.

Which of these three was the problem?

I suspect something else is going on because none of these three mounts has been a problem over the history of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
The '07 and later diff's was mounted differently, with a torque arm on front that led to the transmission. Like Dave said, this is a new problem with your 06. Check the rest of the rear suspension to see if something else is loose allowing that amount of tension on the housing.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I would also check the history on the car.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
+1 Something else is wrong, causing undue stress on the diff. I've run my '06 in autocross for three years, and haven't had any issues with the diff, or any other suspension components.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies

Not the two in the back but the one on the front snaps clean in half. I looked under the car could most deff use shocks and struts no doubt about that. Other than that all the joints look solid. I've been looking at CTS-V differentials to put into it. I haven't found one with LSD tho. Idk if that makes a difference seeing as I'm gonna swap the internals. As far as the car fax regular mantience and no accidents reported. I was gonna weld this one back together then soon saw its an Aluminum casing. Im gonna attempt the CTSV swap this weekend and put some new struts+shocks on and see if that wont fix it. What sucks the most i have to drive this car to work until the weekend where i can fix it. I sorta jerry rigged a "bracket" into the differential and the top of i guess the bushing. Think itll be fine till Saturday? No problems today and held decent it whines bad at 70 if i let off the gas and goes away at 65 thats the only problem so far...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.