Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company that finally does LED headlights for our cars. However, I don't want to blind on-coming traffic like HIDs do in our cars unless they are projector style. Would an LED have the same effect as an HID on on-coming traffic?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
LED replacement "bulbs" can work fine in our reflector headlamps. I've had sets installed for a year in all of my cars without ever being "flashed" by oncoming traffic. In my opinion, they have much less glare than many of the new factory projector LED equipped vehicles.

Also, check out the upper trim level of the facelifted 2017 Buick Encore, it uses LED's in a dedicated reflector housing. There must be some benefit with LEDs in reflector headlamps otherwise Buick would have continued with projector beams with their top trim model too.

On the downside, LED provides the same or less performance than stock Halogen bulbs. On the upside, they look cool and the performance evens out when you run with your LED upgraded foglights always on too.

Look for a brand with fanless Phillips LED chips lined up in the same orientation as the two filaments in the stock H13 Halogen bulb. They are dazzle free and also provide true low and high beam patterns just like the stock Halogen bulbs in a reflector housing.

All of the "bulbs" I bought were from Genssi but there are many similar brand/designs out there too.

Another plus, the above mentioned "bulbs" are still working perfectly after a year while I never got more than 6 months of use from Silvania Ultra Halogen bulbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts