Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reguarding the break in procedure, is the below 55 rule just to keep the rpms below a certain point? And, has anyone heard of the hard break in theory, and if so, what do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
Reguarding the break in procedure, is the below 55 rule just to keep the rpms below a certain point? And, has anyone heard of the hard break in theory, and if so, what do you think about it?
Part of the idea of lower and varied speeds is to give the engine time for rings to seat, etc. without putting stress on it. I ahve never heard of a hard breakin. And when I saw the title of this, I thought it had to do with someone breaking into the car.
Oh, and I'm ahead :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I plan on following a fairly strict break in of keeping it at 55 mph and below, with varied RPM ranges in slow increase/decrease increments. After the first 1000 miles I'll get the oil and filter changed.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
I plan on following a fairly strict break in of keeping it at 55 mph and below, with varied RPM ranges in slow increase/decrease increments. After the first 1000 miles I'll get the oil and filter changed.
Yep, that's my plan too. I think it will pay off in the long run,and Iplan on having it for the long run.

·
Registered
383 Posts
brentil said:
While i strongly agree with the oil change after 1000 miles (gets the metal shavings out ) I disagee about the under 55mph. I used to manage a Saab dealership and the engineers at Saab swore by the BEAT THE HELL out of it theory. Now these weren't the store mechanics..but actual Saab employeed engineers. They specifically stated that todays computers and engines are built differently then the older ones and as such, the under 55 break in period was old hat. Simpy put, most computers on board these cars are designed to "learn" the driving habits of the driver to establish shift patterns and engine performance. This being the case...if the first driver of the vehicle is a grandma that babies it and only drives in the left lane under 50 with its turn signal on...well that is the way way the car is taught to drive. The computer gets set to those standards. On the other hand, if the you beat the tar out of it...it will learn this and will perform as such. The computers are set to certain specs and ranges...do you want your car to perform on the "low" end of the range..or the "high" end? Im not a mechanic or engineer...but I do believe that this makes sense and can justify this by seeing cars that have been driven hard seeming to perform better than the cars that are traded in by lil old ladies that seem to be gasping for air. Just my opinion...of course we all have one!

·
Registered
73 Posts
synthetic

brentil said:
Brentil are you going to switch to synthetic oil after 1000 miles?

Does the 55 rule really make sense? Say you are in 5th gear at 65 mph, your RPMs will probably be around 2500 (just a guesstimate). Now say you are in 2nd at 35... Surely your rpms will be higher at 35 in a lower gear than at 55 in top gear. I think its probably better to watch the tach and not the speedometer. Now I know I am oversimplifying things, but I just don't think the 55 mph rule makes sense. With that said I have my degree in business and not engineering.

I think I am just going to keep it below 5000 RPMs for the first 1000 miles or so, with changes is RPMs like Brentil said and getting the oil changed at 1000 miles so any shavings can be removed and just to check that there isn't anything major in the oil.

I haven't used synthetic before but I thought I read in some threads a while back that it is best to change to synthetic at 3 or 4 thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Unless these cars have A.I., I don't know how they would learn your driving style for a while and then stop learning and set it in style. Just seems odd from a programming perspective.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
scott1715: I'm not sure about synthetic, I've never used it before but I keep hearing people talk about it. So I'll look into it. I was just stating the 55mph hour thing beause it's a simple rule of thumb most people can follow much easier then RPM range.

I'm partially basing what I'm doing off the Lotus break in procedures for the Elise which uses the Toyota 1.8L engine. The procedure for their engine break in is very complex and greatly warns not reving into the cam phase change region for more then a couple seconds prior to the first oil change. It gives a lists of RPMs and how long to be in them for during how amny miles of the break in, etc. This engine isn't tuned as much as that, but you know what, if it's good enough for Lotus I'm betting its good enough for me.

The thing about computers learning your habits I really don't think are true. Computers in cars I believe are adaptive and deal with all engine characteristics on the fly in real time. What's the point of having the massive sensor array hooked up to a 32bit PC if all you need is an eycha-sketch to store your habits. Also the second you disconnect the battery completely and let it sit long enough the ECU RAM is wiped clean of any learned data liek thigns about knock and such. I might be wrong, but I don't believe it's true.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had a long reply typed explaining about OBDii and the ranges..my computer frizzed ...oh well..I agree to disagree. Too much to retype it all. It is great taht everyone has different ideas about their cars though. And you know what..none of us are wrong .

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
brentil said:
The thing about computers learning your habits I really don't think are true. Computers in cars I believe are adaptive and deal with all engine characteristics on the fly in real time. What's the point of having the massive sensor array hooked up to a 32bit PC if all you need is an eycha-sketch to store your habits. Also the second you disconnect the battery completely and let it sit long enough the ECU RAM is wiped clean of any learned data liek thigns about knock and such. I might be wrong, but I don't believe it's true.
:agree:

The computer in your car will re-tune your engine from one fill-up to the next (from 87 to 91 octane).

A decade or so ago, I did a lot of work on engine hot test stands for Ford when the new EEC-IV modules came out. They continuously re-tune themselves.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So many different thoughts on the matter, ranging from driving like grandma to driving like 007. I really wish some of the GM engineers would give their thoughts on the matter with any specifics that may be pertinent to Solstice. I would really like to give it the proper break-in that will give the best results. If different break-in procedures are recommended for different driving styles, I'd like to know about it also. If anybody who went to Detroit has any contact info for the engineers, see if we can get some tips. Or if any of you GM engineers are listening, please PM one of the mods or somebody you met at Detroit to give your suggestions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I'm going to follow my personal break in procedure. Drive easy the first 100 miles, doing lots of city driving (keeps RPMS low, and is a harsh driving condition, wearing the parts of the your engines at all sorts of rpm ranges) and a few up to redline launches. Then after the first 100 miles, then drive it on the freeway for a few long range cruises, with some spirited spurts along the way. Once I hit 500 miles, then I do my first oil change and go to synthetic. After this, I drive it like normal. With all the hard driving I've put my engine through at that rate, the seals should all be set. This has worked for every single vehicle I've owned, and whenever someone actually had to take apart the engine for warranty/recall reasons (happened on my neon @ 65000 miles, and Sentra @ 13000 miles), I've only been complemented on how clean and pristine my cylinder walls are, and the pistons are really nice as well. My Tacoma ran very nice and smoothly as well. The trick is that when you first break in your vehicle, avoid long trips and staying at a certain rpm point for too long. This will not allow your engine's seals to seal properly. I just go by my own personal experience, and empirical evidence. None of my vehicles ever drank oil between oil changes either, not even my neon at 100,000 miles, it never even half a quart between its 5000 mile oil changes. Its nice to look at the dipstick, and notice almost no tangible movement of the oil line.

·
Registered
135 Posts
SlySol said:
So many different thoughts on the matter, ranging from driving like grandma to driving like 007. I really wish some of the GM engineers would give their thoughts on the matter with any specifics that may be pertinent to Solstice. I would really like to give it the proper break-in that will give the best results. If different break-in procedures are recommended for different driving styles, I'd like to know about it also. If anybody who went to Detroit has any contact info for the engineers, see if we can get some tips. Or if any of you GM engineers are listening, please PM one of the mods or somebody you met at Detroit to give your suggestions.
I was thinking that the Owner's Manual that someone had posted a copy of recommended a break-in period of 500 miles, varying speeds and nothing over 70 mph. I wasn't able to find the thread but whoever has the owner's manual could check and advise. ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
the engineers at Saab swore by the BEAT THE HELL out of it theory.
Easy for them to say. It's not their car! I say err on the side of caution, and since my experience has been good doing it this way, that's what I'll continue to do until GM says otherwise.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Sol Deep said:
I was thinking that the Owner's Manual that someone had posted a copy of recommended a break-in period of 500 miles, varying speeds and nothing over 70 mph. I wasn't able to find the thread but whoever has the owner's manual could check and advise. ;)
Both my TrailBlazer and Grand Prix manuals state, “Your vehicle doesn’t need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
-Don’t drive at any one speed – fast or low – for the first 500 miles. Don’t make full-throttle starts.
-Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles or so. During this time new brake linings aren’t yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and early replacement. Follow this break-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
-Don’t tow a trailer during the break-in.”

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jus2shy said:
Well, I'm going to follow my personal break in procedure. Drive easy the first 100 miles, doing lots of city driving (keeps RPMS low, and is a harsh driving condition, wearing the parts of the your engines at all sorts of rpm ranges) and a few up to redline launches. Then after the first 100 miles, then drive it on the freeway for a few long range cruises, with some spirited spurts along the way. Once I hit 500 miles, then I do my first oil change and go to synthetic. After this, I drive it like normal. With all the hard driving I've put my engine through at that rate, the seals should all be set. This has worked for every single vehicle I've owned, and whenever someone actually had to take apart the engine for warranty/recall reasons (happened on my neon @ 65000 miles, and Sentra @ 13000 miles), I've only been complemented on how clean and pristine my cylinder walls are, and the pistons are really nice as well. My Tacoma ran very nice and smoothly as well. The trick is that when you first break in your vehicle, avoid long trips and staying at a certain rpm point for too long. This will not allow your engine's seals to seal properly. I just go by my own personal experience, and empirical evidence. None of my vehicles ever drank oil between oil changes either, not even my neon at 100,000 miles, it never even half a quart between its 5000 mile oil changes. Its nice to look at the dipstick, and notice almost no tangible movement of the oil line.
Your procedure sounds reasonable. For the long range freeway cruises my options are limited: I-10 west 90 miles to Houston and the big city lights, or I-10 east to Louisiana and cajun food and riverboat gambling. But, wait, you did say "a few" so I guess I could do both.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Preston said:
Your procedure sounds reasonable. For the long range freeway cruises my options are limited: I-10 west 90 miles to Houston and the big city lights, or I-10 east to Louisiana and cajun food and riverboat gambling. But, wait, you did say "a few" so I guess I could do both.
I think I'd be goin' east quite a bit. :yesnod:
After initial oil change at 500-1000 miles, how often will y'all change the oil?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ill be using synthetic so ill prolly change around 50% on oil life indicator

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
What does the owners manual recommend? 7500? Thats what I've done with my other vehicles. Modern cars don't need as frequent changes.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts