Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at wind screen possibilities (and small trunk space) but still don't have a car so was wondering:
1. How difficult would it be to remove the rear glass?
2. Is there a fabric flange on both the inside and outside?
3. Is there enough room to store the glass vertically in the forward edge of the trunk (where currently the air compressor's stored)?
4. Is the top tier of the "Mayan temple" just a support for the folded down rear glass or is it actually the gas tank?

Here's what I'm thinking if all the answers to the above questions are yes. Since I'm sure there's not enough room for a normal scissors type window regulator lift, glue a toothed track to both edges of the glass. Install a small motor in the center (behind the water fall) with a beveled gear. Have a rod going across the trunk with a beveled gear on both ends and one in the middle that engages with the motor. Each end of the rod would engage the toothed track on the glass. A standard felted track would stabilize to window when retracted.

All this would allow a the rear glass to act a windscreen and (by removing the top tier of the Mayan temple) increase the truck capacity about the same amount that relocated glass would subtract. But the truck storage space would be a more useable shape. Disadvantage is, besides cost, that the window would have to be lowered prior to folding down the top but it'd only mean pushing an additional button.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Chuck said:
I would seriously consider an aftermarket or the Solstice accessory one.
Here's a photochop of what the windscreen SHOULD look like, courtesy of forum member LBJay.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
see other thread on "Aftermarket Windscreen"

I'm hoping to be able to create a smoked glass one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts