Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 solstice gxp, with the monsoon system. A couple of months ago, I left my top down and it rained inside for about 15 minutes before I could put it back up. About an inch of water was puddled on the floor.

Since then, everything works, however, the stereo only plays high range, quiet and somewhat tinny. In looking at the forums here, it mentioned that the monsoon amp was located under the passenger seat. I assumed that could be the problem, and found a used monsoon amp online.

Today, I removed my passenger seat, but under the square upraised carpet section, there was a small 3-4" square box, that appeared to be the unit for the airbag sensor since the cabling. However, I can't seem to find where the larger amp is located.

Before I go about removing back panels and the driver's seat, I figured I would reach out here and ask. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but stereo installs, inside panels, etc somewhat intimidate me with all the plastic in the interior of the solstice.

Any suggestions as to where the amp is, how to get to it, and whether or not the problem I've noted is probably a dead amp would be appreciated.

If this were a simple car, I'd just upgrade the whole thing to a better aftermarket...however, a few calls around imply that it isn't a cheap install at all. And since I already have the replacement amp...I am hoping that's it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a 2008 solstice gxp, with the monsoon system. A couple of months ago, I left my top down and it rained inside for about 15 minutes before I could put it back up. About an inch of water was puddled on the floor.

Since then, everything works, however, the stereo only plays high range, quiet and somewhat tinny. In looking at the forums here, it mentioned that the monsoon amp was located under the passenger seat. I assumed that could be the problem, and found a used monsoon amp online.

Today, I removed my passenger seat, but under the square upraised carpet section, there was a small 3-4" square box, that appeared to be the unit for the airbag sensor since the cabling. However, I can't seem to find where the larger amp is located.

Before I go about removing back panels and the driver's seat, I figured I would reach out here and ask. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but stereo installs, inside panels, etc somewhat intimidate me with all the plastic in the interior of the solstice.

Any suggestions as to where the amp is, how to get to it, and whether or not the problem I've noted is probably a dead amp would be appreciated.

If this were a simple car, I'd just upgrade the whole thing to a better aftermarket...however, a few calls around imply that it isn't a cheap install at all. And since I already have the replacement amp...I am hoping that's it.

Thanks
The amp is behind the driver's seat, and the subwolfer is behind the passenger's seat, benind the plastic interior bulkhead.

Here's the link to the location:Given what you have described, you might also have a damaged subwolfer. The wolfer cone or voice coil may have been damaged by the water.

The amp is mounted about 3 inches from the floor, so I doubt that it suffered from water incursion. I think the more likely component to have failed is the driver in the subwolfer box itself.

Best of luck with the repair.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You will need to remove both right and left back panels before you can remove the rear panel.Been there done that several times,pretty simple ,just be careful to not bend the plastic that holds the spring clips when you re-install the panels.Also when you remove the side panels behind the driver seat and passenger seat you will need to remove the sill plate panels,they also just pop off,be careful on the side panels to not yank out the speaker wires that are plugged in.It is very simple kind of like a snap together toy just remember it is plastic and you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
First, I'd check to determine just what is wrong and where your problems are coming from. Substantial amounts of what you'd think of as bass come from the door speakers. If your sound is noticeably tinny, it may be that those are gone as well as (or instead of) the sub.

Turn the sound up high and check if sound is coming out each speaker by holding your hand over it (feel the draught) or putting a piece of corrugated cardboard tight over it and seeing if the sound changes.

Like CA, I wouldn't think it's your amp, since it's above the water line you spoke of, and protected from splashes by the bulkhead. But if multiple channels HAVE gone, then maybe it is (ALL the speakers are driven from that amp).

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
It could also be the head unit. There aren't any weather seals, so water could easily have run down the front and into the electronics.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My money is water in the speakers/bad door speakers. Unlike aftermarket audio equipment that may go into a protect mode when a short is seen, factory stuff will play no matter what which is why the tweeters are still playing. And also tweeters are pretty well protected when it comes to moisture. You have to pretty much sumberge them to really damage them. Unlike the door speaker that gets water in through the spider and down into the voice coil gap where it corrodes inside the magnet and deteriorates the lacquer coating on the voice coil causing a short.

Can rule out the radio since you are still getting some sound. It wouldnt just send highs to the amp if the radio was going bad. Also, the amp is in a good spot to not get soaked with water, even if the top was down for as long as you said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts