Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, early this summer I modded my 2.4 w/ a DDM stage 2 S/C and dual flowmaster exhaust. I love the stage 2 S/C ... best investment I ever made (thanks to Dave for the wonderful product), however, being that I spend alot of time commuting on the highway, the exhaust drone is driving me nuts! I am looking to keep the dual exhaust, but I would like to change to one that is closer to stock sounding w/ no cabin drone. I am thinking about a Dynomax VT or Dynomax Superturbo. I looked at Solo Performance, but their Mach 2 dual exhaust seems a bit loud to me.

... any suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would have said the solo Mach ...wonder if the audio or video you saw of the Mach also had one of their cats...because I was under the impression the Mach was pretty quiet

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I had these similar concerns with my exhaust, until doing the Razorback Run this weekend. It was awesome to hear all the cars going through the mountains. Sounded awesome!

Perhaps someone can create a butterfly valve system like on corvettes.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Stage 2 with Solo is pretty loud - especially if you have a high flow CAT. Maybe stock GXP Exhaust would fit your needs.
Good suggestion - should also be cheap to pick up (have a new one behind the 'barn' myself).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Is your car a coupe? Didn't think verts were as susceptible to cabin drone as the coupes.

Solo plus free flow CC is too loud for some, whereas the Solo cat back system is almost too quiet for me (thinking auto as it relates to cabin noise plays a part.), don't get me wrong, it's louder than stock but not as loud as I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LowLife1, unfortuneately it is not the coupe :'(

The flowmaster I have on my vert gets a droan in 4th and 5th, that drives my crazy. Other than that, it sounds great 1st - 3rd. If I can figure out how to, I will throw a vid up tonight. Other than the stage 2 S/C, it has the stock manifold, stock cat, a flowmaster hushpower 2 as the resonator in the mid-section, and a 1 in 2 out transverse flowmaster in the rear (camaro style). All the pipe is 2 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard from some Cobalt guys that the dynomax VT is garbage .... anyone using a dynomax superturbo?

... I am starting to lean towards having 2 systems : a dual out Walker muffler for a nice quit DD and a single out with a resonator only for AutoX

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, just to follow up on my experience for others ... I went with an Xlerator muffler and a resonator in the midpipe (probably was not needed, but just in case). Holy crap does it sound fantastic! This is my third exhaust now so I have tried a few ... lol.

I wish I had just gone with Solo from the beginning (props to solo products), but I ended up finding something which was a tad quieter than than SQR-2 after some trial and error. The custom muffler shop I have in town was able to put it all together for $400.

I will post some vids (if I can figure out how to) after work today.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
In have Solo Mach with resonator. It is louder than stock, I have hi flow cat with the DDM long tube headers. Is not as loud as the magna flow I had. I do plan some Dynamatting.... I put the GM rack on the back lid and I was surprised by the sound drop, hence the Dynamat.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
The GMPP exhaust has added flow with a better flowing cat and is not very loud at WOT. I would suggest that as it keeps your warranty as well(if you're worried about that). I have one that I dont use as I went to the Mach Shorty from Solo Performance. Those guys are outstanding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I got a video and some pictures uploaded of the new exhaust system.

System : all 2.5" pipe, stock cat, hushpower HP-2 resonator in midpipe, Xlerator transverse muffler, SS double wall bevel edge tips

Having had it a week now, I find it to be very mild sound wise, and have not noticed any change in performance. It has a nice mellow tone outside with no drone inside. Driving around, it sounds stockish on the inside with a little rumble heare and there. Most of the noise I hear is the S/C ;)

Being that it was taken with a cell phone, it does sound wayyyyyy better in person!

VIDEO0033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The stock GXP exhaust has been used on a lot of NA's it has excellent performance, better than more than a few of the after market one's, it was just to damn quiet for me. I have seen the dyno runs for a car with a Westers tune and stock exhaust, the stock pipes make huge amounts of torque.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
So, I got a video and some pictures uploaded of the new exhaust system.

System : all 2.5" pipe, stock cat, hushpower HP-2 resonator in midpipe, Xlerator transverse muffler, SS double wall bevel edge tips

Having had it a week now, I find it to be very mild sound wise, and have not noticed any change in performance. It has a nice mellow tone outside with no drone inside. Driving around, it sounds stockish on the inside with a little rumble heare and there. Most of the noise I hear is the S/C ;)

Being that it was taken with a cell phone, it does sound wayyyyyy better in person!

VIDEO0033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sounds amazing. I really like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts