Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some estimates of what the Rear End Ratio will be?

With the 5 speed xmission it could be a wide range of ratios,

Me, I would like something in the 4.11 range if 5th gears has a .87 OD.

Whats the thoughts of everyone else?

Steve :party

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Although I don't remember what the OD ratio was on my ol' Honda SI, I do remember that the final was something around 4.25. But the Ecotec has got more low end. A 4.11 would have it still pulling in third through the lights and pulling in second just before hitting 60 for that all too important 0 to 60 number the press loves to report.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but where do those big-ol 18" come into play?

Maybe 4.88 would be better??

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
FWIW, I took a guess, based on the reasoning they were using a CTS differential - and just used the CTS rear end ratio. I think it's 3.73, or at least that's what it was in 2003 MY CTS.

I actually took just the colorado aisin trans ratios, since we knew they are using an aisin 5-speed manual trans and online found that there is an Aisin 5-speed in the Colorado, and when you mesh it with the 3.73 it really doesn't look too out of whack.

That info went into technical FAQ.

·
5,600 Posts
If all I was concerned about was 0-60 published times in car magazines, I'd get a Mustang GT. I hope Pontiac realizes they are designing a sports car, not a drag racer or muscle car. I detest a car engine that sounds busy at 70+ mph and doubly detest when it is done merely to enhance published 0-60mph times. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
they also have 3.91 gears as an option on the CTS.
I wonder if there will be optional gearing in the Solstice at introduction. Or if there'll be different gears when the automatic is introduced or when the FI comes out. Or ever.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rik said:
they also have 3.91 gears as an option on the CTS.
That's on the CTS, not the CTS-V. The CTS-V has the Getrag LSD, I don't believe the plain CTS has an LSD at all. If so the CTS-V has the TREMEC T56 6-Speed Manual with a 3.73:1 final gear ratio.

I believe the normal CTS has the 3.42 or 3.91 depending on if you get the manual or automatic transmission.

1st Gear Ratio 2.98:1
2nd Gear Ratio 2.07:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.43:1
4th Gear Ratio 1.00:1
5th Gear Ratio 0.84:1
6th Gear Ratio 0.56:1
Final Drive Ratio 3.73:1

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3.91 would be better than a 3.73.

I am hoping 4th is 1 to 1 and 5th is OD, maybe .87?

With the 18" tires (~26.7" Diameter) it should reduce the RPM's on the freeway/interstate to an acceptable level.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well if the MA5 is the same one as the current one in use I posted a bunch of technical info about it over here...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173

But the bit you want from that article is...
Gear ratios:
1st: 3.75
2nd: 2.26
3rd: 1.37
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.73
Rev: 3.67
Since I'm not sure how to do it, how do you determine the final gear ratio from just having the individual gear ratios?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My current car,Pontiac Vibe, has 2 overdrive gears ,both 4th and 5th.
This was done for fuel ecoonomy. It makes 1st-3rd gears quite tall though.
The MA5 looks better to me because 4th gear is 1.00 and only 5th is overdrive. That is going to make 1st -3rd gears a little tighter than I am used to, and be more fun to drive. With there being so much grunt at the lower revs in the 2.4 motor, a six speed may only prove to be more of a chore than a greatly noticeable asset.
I also noticed that the maximum engine torque rating for the MA5 is 225ftlbs of torque. That is only 55 more than the motor is putting out. I dont know if that is possibly underated, yet if we are thinking about F/I...we will get there!

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I believe you just multiply them: i.e. 3.91 x 0.73 =2.85; 3.73 x 0.73 = 2.72; 4.11 x 0.73 = 3.00; 4.88 x 0.73 = 3.56; ,,,,,,,

Steve

:patriot

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
faultline said:
My current car,Pontiac Vibe, has 2 overdrive gears ,both 4th and 5th.
This was done for fuel ecoonomy. It makes 1st-3rd gears quite tall though.
The MA5 looks better to me because 4th gear is 1.00 and only 5th is overdrive. That is going to make 1st -3rd gears a little tighter than I am used to, and be more fun to drive. With there being so much grunt at the lower revs in the 2.4 motor, a six speed may only prove to be more of a chore than a greatly noticeable asset.
I also noticed that the maximum engine torque rating for the MA5 is 225ftlbs of torque. That is only 55 more than the motor is putting out. I dont know if that is possibly underated, yet if we are thinking about F/I...we will get there!
It depends on how a 6-speed is designed, if it has the first 5 gears the same but another overdrive gear you really wont notice it at all till you're at cruising speeds.

Actually I've done some more research and it looks like the Solstice will actually use a different Aisin, I keep finding refrence to the Aisin MW5 and not the Aison MA5. I'll see if I can track this transmissions specs down. Which looking in the Solstice FAQ here it has Aisin MW5 too. Maybe I should read the FAQ sometime. :D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ok, I can't find anything about a GM or Aisin MW5. It's more then likely a GM part # for a different Aisin product. Like the MA5 is actually the Aisin AR-5 transmission. It could possibly be the Aisin AW5, but I haven't found anything to tie those together. I've found some places where people say the Solstice one is related to the light truck transmission, which is the MA5. The MW5 code was given in the Solstice announcement documentation by GM from back in 2004 NAIAS announcement, so I don't think that's wrong.

I'm guessing a couple things are going on here.
  • MW5 is an all new Aisin (don't think so though, very unlikely GM had Aisin make an all new transmission for the Solstice)
  • MW5 refers to an Aisin GM hasn't used yet in a previous vehicle
  • MW5 is the incorrect code, given mistakenly by GM
  • Since that specs were first given GM has changed this

I also didn't realize Aisin makes the RR 6-speed Porsche 911 transmissions too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
brentil said:
I'll see if I can track this transmissions specs down. Which looking in the Solstice FAQ here it has Aisin MW5 too. Maybe I should read the FAQ sometime. :D
That's pretty hillarious coming from someone with 1300+ posts! :lol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
waiting said:
What's even more hilarious is a chunk of the contributions in the FAQ are from me too. :D

I was going off memory and remembered discussions we had about the light truck transmission. Mainly I was going off the Options list that we had been given, which says MA5 and not MW5.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
waiting said:
:glol :glol

In his defense, after you read so many threads, magazines, rumors, leaks and other news, and then post about all of it so many times, it all begins to run together.

So when can I expect the coupe version? :brentil:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3.91 as of the new information posted today 3/11/2005

Now, what are the xmission ratios in the 5 speed?

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts