Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on GMI forum but references 01/05 Road and Track. Speculation on a possible future coupe version of kappa.

"While the previous Opel 2-seat sports car shared its underpinnings with the Lotus Elise, the next-generation sports car from GM's German unit will be based on the Kappa platform that has spawned the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn's new roadster. Unlike the open top U.S. cars, the Opel is shown here as a coupe; remember, the Solstice was shown in concept form as both a coupe and a roadster. The GT is evidence that a coupe version may not be far behind for the U.S. market."

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting. I think I remember seeing that back a while ago, but I am not completely sure. It wouldn’t be difficult for them to do a 2 seater coupe off either the Solstice or Sky. A separate 2 seater coupe would need its own body, but would also not be too difficult. However, if there plan is for a 2+2 coupe its going to be a little while.

Also, the Opel coupe could be nothing more than a concept that they do not intend to produce in the immediate future too.

I'd like to see a coupe off this platform fairly soon! Although I would still prefer the roadster, I know a lot of people who won't buy a roadster but who would be interested in the coupe version.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I hope this is true. I thought the Solstice coupe concept was quite good, and it would solve alot of people's problems with this car. While rag top roadsters almost always out sell coupes, I think enough buyers would prefer enough hard tops that it would justify the small amount of engineering and production costs to make.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The video sounds like there's a V8 in it. I got the impression while watching that it was a rebodied SSR. But I've read no information about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I'd like to see a coupe off this platform fairly soon! Although I would still prefer the roadster, I know a lot of people who won't buy a roadster but who would be interested in the coupe version.
:yesnod me; me;me;me;me;me.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rik said:
The SS concept has a 6.0 litre engine. And it is a fairly large car.
Yeah, I've also seen the SS in person and the Solstice in person. The SS is definitely larger then the Solstice. It looks more the size of the Buick roadster I had questions about in another thread that's based off the Zeta platform.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
No way the SS would fit on Kappa. That car is fairly large, and Kappa of course is especially small. It wouldn’t be a match. I suppose the SS could end up on a Zeta platform, but it may also be nothing more than a styling excersize, hinting at the direction the next Camaro (to be built on Zeta) will go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
AeroDave said:
I hope this is true. I thought the Solstice coupe concept was quite good, and it would solve alot of people's problems with this car. While rag top roadsters almost always out sell coupes, I think enough buyers would prefer enough hard tops that it would justify the small amount of engineering and production costs to make.
I would have to say the coupes out sell roadsters! 99% of the time when a new car is introduced, it's a hardtop then the roadster follows. I would hope Pontiac would follow this with the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AJC said:
I would have to say the coupes out sell roadsters! 99% of the time when a new car is introduced, it's a hardtop then the roadster follows. I would hope Pontiac would follow this with the Solstice.
I was refering to the traditional two seat roadsters, not four seat convertables. In the four seat world you are absolutely correct, but when the car only has two seats, people generally want the top to drop in exchange for the loss of a back seat. There are many like you who would prefer a fixed top, but most go for the rag top and so Pontiac was completely correct to design this car as convertable. Making this car into a coupe wouldn't be hard for them to do, but it would weigh more due to the beefy structure required for the soft top. Regardless I hope they do build something like the original Solstice coupe concept. :cheers

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AeroDave said:
I was refering to the traditional two seat roadsters, not four seat convertables. In the four seat world you are absolutely correct, but when the car only has two seats, people generally want the top to drop in exchange for the loss of a back seat. There are many like you who would prefer a fixed top, but most go for the rag top and so Pontiac was completely correct to design this car as convertable. Making this car into a coupe wouldn't be hard for them to do, but it would weigh more due to the beefy structure required for the soft top. Regardless I hope they do build something like the original Solstice coupe concept. :cheers
So how would you explain the Fiero - which at it's latest year (1988) outsold the best years of the Miata? (40,000+ vs 21,000, and that's with a truncated production year in 1988 when they cancelled it).

2 door coupe, no roadster, crappy service and quality reputation...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am hoping that Pontiac is going to make a coupe & roadster, or just a hardtop. Pontiac will sell twice the amount of Solstice's.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
So how would you explain the Fiero - which at it's latest year (1988) outsold the best years of the Miata? (40,000+ vs 21,000, and that's with a truncated production year in 1988 when they cancelled it).

2 door coupe, no roadster, crappy service and quality reputation...
I explain that like this: In the 1980's the country was coming out of a serious drought of sporty cars, much less than two seaters. If I recall correctly, back then if you wanted a two seater your choices were, Fiero, RX7, EXP, MR2, Porsche, Mercedes, Bertone, and Corvette. Now lets say you don't have oodles of money. That leaves you with Fiero, EXP, RX7 and MR2. They don't come in a rag top either, and if I recall corectlly, the Fiero was cheaper than all of them, except maybe the EXP which was a piece of crap.

As a personal example, in 1984 when the Fiero came out, my brother was very into British roadsters, and he got very excited about the Fiero initialy as a daily driver, so we went to the dealership together. After the test drive he very seriously considered buying one because it had many of the things he had been pining for in a car and it was a price he could afford. Had the car had more power like it did later on, he probably would have bought it. Low power, lack of confidence in GM reliablilty (remember he was trying to replace his daily driver Jag, so reliability was an issue), and limited trunk space killed the deal. Having said that though, had something like the Miata come out at the same time, hands down, no way he would have even concidered the Fiero! People got excited about the Fiero back then because in a two seater, it was really one of the best choices for people on a budget and the competition wasn't offering rag tops either.

It was an exciting car in it's time, but don't over estimate it, those were just crappy times for cars. :cheers

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
bold

AJC we hear what you are saying loud and clear, turn off the bold, please.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I People got excited about the Fiero back then because in a two seater, it was really one of the best choices for people on a budget and the competition wasn't offering rag tops either.
Very true on a lot of the points you made, but like the Solstice, I would argue the top selling feature of the Fiero was styling. It looked like next to nothing on the road in 1984. It was sleaker, more rounded. Even cars like the MR2 were bodier. It simply looked much more expensive than it was. Like the Solstice. People referred to it as the poor mans Ferrari, and not because it performed like one!

Despite its cancellation, the Fiero may have been the most successful 2 seater based on average sales volume per year. GM moved a total of 370,107 Fieros between the fall of 1983 and the summer of 1988, totally 5 model years. Thats an average of about 75,000 cars per year! None of the current crop of roadsters comes close to touching that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I remember well the Fiero when it came out. As Ff88 said it was all of those things. Very sleek, and it just seemed like it would be a danged fun car to drive! I wanted one badly. I almost bought one but the salesman and the manager started playing games and I ended up walking out and bought something else that day. They hated more that I came back with the other car to pick up my deposit check.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Michael said:
I remember well the Fiero when it came out. As Ff88 said it was all of those things. Very sleek, and it just seemed like it would be a danged fun car to drive! I wanted one badly. I almost bought one but the salesman and the manager started playing games and I ended up walking out and bought something else that day. They hated more that I came back with the other car to pick up my deposit check.
Dealers can certainly be impossible. The Fiero fan in me is disappointed you went with something else, but I am sure you enjoyed whatever car you decided to get! Hopeuully you won't have the same bad experience when you try to buy a Solstice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts