Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, do we have any information regarding the compatability of installing racing harnesses? 4, 5, or even possibily a 6 point? If so, do we know of anyone who sells the bars and belts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You might want to give Summit racing a call or try their web site. I am not sure but was in their store about a week ago and they do carry alot of racing materials ect. 1-800-230-3030.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
IheartSolstice said:
Hey guys, do we have any information regarding the compatability of installing racing harnesses? 4, 5, or even possibily a 6 point? If so, do we know of anyone who sells the bars and belts?
Anyone installing a harness in a open car with out a rollbar that clears you head is a candidate for a "Darwin Award" :nono:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LBJay said:
Anyone installing a harness in a open car with out a rollbar that clears you head is a candidate for a "Darwin Award" :nono:
Um, maybe he's putting in rollbars.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Editguy said:
Um, maybe he's putting in rollbars.
If he was, he wouldn't be asking for the bar.... (harness mounting bar)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
LBJay said:
If he was, he wouldn't be asking for the bar....
Dude chill out. I was just seeing if there was a way to install them in a way that would look clean and cool. If anyone else has any ideas or solutions to the harness idea I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
What I want is a rollbar with a harness bar across the back. I also wouldn't put a harness in unless I had a bar over my head. Besides that I can't really think of a way to put a real functional one in correctly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IheartSolstice said:
We plan to take one of the Sols to Rick at AP and see what (if anything) he can come up with in terms of a functional (safety) roll bar.

As for harnesses, many people add racing-style harnesses to their cars simply to increase driver control while cornering. You can easily add a Schroth, Sparco or AP harness to the Sol. However, you can buy a product that will lock your factory seatbelt tight, which is satisfactory for most "recreational canyon drivers". Forgive me for not listing the product; I have one here...somewhere. I believe it is called a Seat Belt Keeper or something close...

Jim

·
Registered
109 Posts
I originally hated leather seats because of cayoning (sliding left and right in the canyons was annoying.) But after I found out my T/A has seats that litterally hug your back with a push of a button, I fell in love with leather. If you need a harness, you need a rollbar. That's my modo and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Magnezium said:
If you need a harness, you need a rollbar. That's my modo and I'm sticking to it.
True. Although you would be shocked at the staggering # of harnesses sold without roll bars. I sell quite a few roll bars, but nothing compared to harnesses.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
gravana1 said:
True. Although you would be shocked at the staggering # of harnesses sold without roll bars.
A harness in a closed car with out a roll bar is not the best but you do have some roll over protection. But in an open car it is suicide.

In the picture below, if you head is above the red line and the car gets inverted, everything above the red line will be gone. The factory diagonal chest strap at least gives your upper body the chance to move to the side.

Darwin Awards are for what people do, not what they can buy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We evaluated the Solstice back in Aug for harness fitment. It won't be possible without major cosmetic mods to the car. The wide integrated headrest is another reason you do not want to add a harness to this car - unless you change out the stock seat and add a real roll bar.

My advice is to wait for the Coupe version which should be easy to hook up for track day use and racing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LBJay said:
A harness in a closed car with out a roll bar is not the best but you do have some roll over protection. But in an open car it is suicide.

In the picture below, if you head is above the red line and the car gets inverted, everything above the red line will be gone. The factory diagonal chest strap at least gives your upper body the chance to move to the side.

Darwin Awards are for what people do, not what they can buy.
What you say is undeniable, but on the other hand, should the Sol roll, do you really think it's survivable? I don't.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Editguy said:
What you say is undeniable, but on the other hand, should the Sol roll, do you really think it's survivable? I don't.
If you're 5'6 (or shorter) like me, maybe... If you're 5'1 (or shorter)... probably.

To make a long story short... don't roll your Solstice in the first place.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
If you're 5'6 (or shorter) like me, maybe... If you're 5'1 (or shorter)... probably.

To make a long story short... don't roll your Solstice in the first place.
:glol: That I agree with 100%. And since I'm 6' tall, I don't think I would survive so it's imperative that I not roll it!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Editguy said:
:glol: That I agree with 100%. And since I'm 6' tall, I don't think I would survive so it's imperative that I not roll it!
Imperative to YOU and anyone that cares about you, of course.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
LBJay said:
Let's not forget about "roof crush" or, in this case, "A-pillar" crush. it's evidenced in the Miata pictures posted by LBJay. This means the actual line of things gone would be lower.

The harnesses are a no-no without a rollbar, wheither technically feasible to do or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.