Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my $1000 deposit down, pre-approved 3.37% financing for 5 years, and a FIRM promise that I will be getting one of the Solstii (plural of Solstice?) this year. It will be my extra car and I am hoping to race it a bit for fun. What options should I get or avoid? I am leaning toward no power accesories, no A/C, mid radio, no XM (mainly due to the ugly pimple antenna), get limited slip and ABS. Basically I'm looking to eliminate extra weight and increase the "fun" factor in a car I can drive to a track, run a few laps, then drive home. Any comments/experience are greatly appreciated. P.S. While I realize a turbo or SC would be a great boost, I'd like to narrow the discussion to the options available at launch (with my fingers crossed for HUGE aftermarket performance shop interest in the Solstice).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
What you've listed sounds like pretty much the best way to go with the stock car to get what you want. However recently we've found out there will be at least 3 extra performance options available at launch for the Solstice that you can have dealer installed.
  • High-flow air cleaner and housing (performance air intake)
  • Cat-back exhaust system
  • Adjustable race suspension (includes upfit kit, springs, bushings, and adjustable struts [might be a type and supposed to be shocks])

·
Registered
180 Posts
Since this car also seems simple mechanically, I'd recommend removing the soft top (if your racing organization permits it), and removing the passenger seat when you race. Some guys over here in SCCA are pretty hardcore and do that with their vehicles. I plan on Auto-X with the Solstice. If it handles like they're promising, then I'm definately gonna wring it out on the tarmac!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Jus2shy said:
Since this car also seems simple mechanically, I'd recommend removing the soft top (if your racing organization permits it), and removing the passenger seat when you race. Some guys over here in SCCA are pretty hardcore and do that with their vehicles. I plan on Auto-X with the Solstice. If it handles like they're promising, then I'm definately gonna wring it out on the tarmac!
Unless there have been rule changes since the last season I raced, SCCA Solo-II (autocross) won't allow you to compete in a stock class with ANYTHING removed that wasn't there from the factory. You can still drive, mind you, but you'll be technically breaking the rules.

Miatas ship from Japan with little tie-down hooks bolted to it at each of the 4 corners (two to the radiator core support, and two to the rear bumper structure) so they can chain them down on the ship. There were rumors that someone was disqualified in a regional or national championship because he/she had removed those tie-downs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jus2shy said:
ive also seen a lot of people who own everyday cars take out their headlights when they take it to the track. turns the hole into a "scoop" if you will, to put cold air into the engine bay. :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, thats more on street prepped (street modified?) vehicles that they start taking out the interiors and stuff, been a while since I auto-X, I hope to get back into it when I get a solstice. SM is a little too hardcore for me though, I think I'll stick to D-stock (or will this car compete in C-stock with the miata? Guess it depends on how well it handles eh?).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Unless there have been rule changes since the last season I raced, SCCA Solo-II (autocross) won't allow you to compete in a stock class with ANYTHING removed that wasn't there from the factory....
Yep. Pretty much anything that could "remove" weight.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I broke down and read the darn SCCA rules. "Stock" eliminates dealer installed options as well. I am limited to just factory options to get or avoid.

For the record, the Mazdaspeed Miata made it into B stock, the 98+ 1.8l Miata is C stock, others are E. I'll be disappointed if I didn't get a chance to "compete" with the Mazdaspeed Miata, especially after all the work Pontiac has put into it. (with a special mention to Brentil and Solsticeman for the charts, graphs, science classes, etc. that have made me a "true believer" to the potential to the Solstice)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
What benefit would we actually see from getting:
# High-flow air cleaner and housing (performance air intake)
# Cat-back exhaust system

Like HP gains? If so, how much from just that? How much would it run?

Also, how does one's status become "Solstice Pit Crew"... I have been here over a month and have like 200 points. I want a custom Avatar!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
30 days and 30 posts. Your tag is Solstice Crew now too anyways. :D

Intake + exhaust might get you ~5HP depenidng on how restrictive the current system is.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fortimir, its about time, welcome to the crew. First job over the wall is clean the windshield and front grill, then you can move up to fuel can, air wrench, tire handler, jack. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
achieftain said:
Fortimir, its about time, welcome to the crew. First job over the wall is clean the windshield and front grill, then you can move up to fuel can, air wrench, tire handler, jack. :cheers:
Weird, it wasn't Pit Crew member when I posted... *shrugs* Hmm... all those tasks... on second thought... :brentil:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fortimir said:
What benefit would we actually see from getting:
# High-flow air cleaner and housing (performance air intake)
# Cat-back exhaust system

Like HP gains? If so, how much from just that? How much would it run?
{SWAG}
Air cleaner/intake gains: Increased induction noise, 5-10 perceived horsepower, 0-3 dyno verified horsepower. $150.

Cat back exhaust gains: Louder/deeper exhuast note, 5-10 perceived horsepower, 3-5 dyno verified horsepower. $550 for stainless steel.
{/SWAG}

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Stephen M said:
{SWAG}
Air cleaner/intake gains: Increased induction noise, 5-10 perceived horsepower, 0-3 dyno verified horsepower. $150.

Cat back exhaust gains: Louder/deeper exhuast note, 5-10 perceived horsepower, 3-5 dyno verified horsepower. $550 for stainless steel.
{/SWAG}
So for a cool $700, you're looking at 10-20 percieved HP, and 3-8 actual HP...

the question comes down to "will there be dual exhaust tips?" And that will determine my answer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Stephen M said:
{SWAG}

{/SWAG}
Are these guessed prices, or real prices?
Along with the performance values?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts