Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped :dunno:I relocated my power steering reservoir when I did my turbo install and now I've decided to replace the hoses with braided steel lines and I need to convert the fittings from metric on one end to AN on the other . I found two companies that sell the fittings that I need Allstar Performance and Lee Power Steering but I need to know what size the fittings are . After spending the better part of the afternoon looking for information and even calling the local GM dealer I've had no luck . Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks !

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
The lines aren't likely to perforate. Unless you are just doing it as an appearance mod because you like the look of the braided covers, you might save yourself some cost and trouble by just buying some split heat shielding to put over the existing hoses.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue that I have is that when I did the reservoir relocation I had to piece together the line (because I extended it) and even though it's not leaking I have a splice which I want to clean up and rerun the lines. Another thought is that the turbo housing is near where the lines run and a braided steel line would offer a bit more heat protection .And lastly I'm a detail freak so along with my remote oil filter setup and center feed fuel rail which have braided steel lines I'm trying to get a cleaner engine compartment look .

·
Registered
6,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm aware of the DEI stuff I have the turbo blanket and heat tape on the car I just don't like the look of the spliced line . Every year I try to do things to improve my car either from a looks or performance standpoint I've been sidetracked the last couple of years with the Chevelle build and some health issues so it's the Solstice's turn this year .It's something that I assumed would be relatively easy and would also give me a bit more experience with making up these lines my quest continues . Thanks for your input Bill always appreciated !

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Understand why you want a line with no potential weak spots. suggest that you take the whole line to a shop that manufactures such lines - usually not hard to find and they should be able to replicate it with new fittings. You might even be able to find the fittings and do it yourself. I always used Aeroquip lines I made on the race cars - if you can nail down the type of fittings and threads you can buy them and assemble yourself. That way you could also use some neat tubular heat shield rather than the wrap around style. Happy hunting!

PS - many racers think that the Aeroquip lines are indestructible. Not so - I was using them as brake hoses on one of the race cars - the PTFE inner with braided stainless outer. One of them pinholed on me - I discussed it with the company and apparently in an application where there is movement, as in a brake hose that travels with the suspension action, the inner plastic hose can wear against the outer sheath and pinhole. Worth remembering and to secure any lines that don't need to move.

See http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_479318.pdf

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Sting, I'd love to see pictures of your engine bay. I know from previous posts that you've put your water temperature sending unit from the lower hose as opposed to the upper, for aesthetic purposes. I bet the engine bay looks fantastic!

What year Chevelle? Any pictures of it??

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
The exposed stainless braid is also abrasive enough to wear through anything it moves against, is difficult to keep clean, and creates little broken wire tips that will seriously lacerate your hands.

But it does look cool.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sting, I'd love to see pictures of your engine bay. I know from previous posts that you've put your water temperature sending unit from the lower hose as opposed to the upper, for aesthetic purposes. I bet the engine bay looks fantastic!

What year Chevelle? Any pictures of it??
If you go to my home page and click on my Solstice updates album you can see pictures of both cars the Chevelle is a documented SS396 . I'll be upgrading my engine compartment pics soon I'm still in the process of finishing up the oil filter relocation project waiting on a mounting bracket that needs to be machined (aaarrrgghhh ) and replacing and upgrading somethings

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The exposed stainless braid is also abrasive enough to wear through anything it moves against, is difficult to keep clean, and creates little broken wire tips that will seriously lacerate your hands.

But it does look cool.
I use insulated stainless clamps and billet hose separators to secure everything ,and my engine compartment never gets dirty :grin: When putting together a hose I wrap duck tape (Gorilla ) brand on the end of the hose before I cut it to length and have a special cutter just for this purpose so no loose ends . I really enjoy detailing things and for me it's the little things that count , of all the cars I've done over the years the Solstice is really special for me because you just don't see a lot of them especially here in Ohio let alone one that has been modified . My car will never be on the same level as Rob's and I mean that as a compliment but it does look cool:cool: and a lot of car people in my area like what I have done to it .

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
..... When putting together a hose I wrap duck tape (Gorilla ) brand on the end of the hose before I cut it to length and have a special cutter just for this purpose so no loose ends . .....
Certainly good practice, but not what i was referring to. As braided hoses are flexed, even small amounts, the wires in the braid will break leaving short sharp points sticking out. Running your hand along one can then be very painful. Fixed hoses in the engine bay may not experience this for quite a long time, but brake lines may. Caution in handling them is definitely a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've had braided steel lines on my builds going back to my biker days in the 70's and have never experienced this The Solstice among other cars and bikes has had braided steel brake lines on it since I replaced them when I purchased the car in 2010 . Every spring I do a super cleaning including wiping down any grime :ack: on the brake lines so far no issues .

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Find your local Pirtek. You just need to know what types of fittings you need on each end and the length of the hose. They'll make them for you.

Most hydraulic hose shops should be able to do this. I mention Pirtek because I've had really great experience with them over the past decade or so. If you don't have one local, just give them a call and tell them what you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts