Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I am new Kappa owner - 2008 Sky Redline Carbon Flash 5 Spd
I want to replace my radiator and I'm trying to figure out what's the difference between radiators
Is there 4 different radiators? GXP Auto , GXP Manual- Base Auto and Base Manual?
Are they interchangeable?
Does on have more cooling area than the others?
I figure the Auto has a built in trans cooler, but can this also be used on the manual and just plug that opening?
Does the GXP have a bigger cooling core than the base?
Are all the connections the same?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
There are actually 2 different radiators. The one for the automatic has the transmission cooling lines fitting and must be used if you are replacing one in a automatic. If on the other hand it is a manual transmission either radiator will work as you don't need the outlets for the cooling lines but the automatic radiator can be used in a manual. There is no difference between a GXP or the base model as far as the radiator but there is a difference in the cooling fans depending if you have the 2.0 or the 2.4.

The AC condensers are all the same in each car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Helpful response Hoosier. I expected as much but I'm surprised to see that the radiator part number is different from 2.4 to 2.0.

For the manual transmissions I'm seeing:
2.4 - ACDELCO 21720 {#19130434}
2.0 - ACDELCO 21718 {#19130432}

·
Registered
155 Posts
Old post, I know. Answer was never really given.

Rock Auto has details for each part number. GXP core is .95" thick, base is .63.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,573 Posts
thats what i was fuguring, bigger core. I almost got one of thsose for my base coupe, but didnt know if everything else was the same so I just got the new$90 base raid& condensor & fan for it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
so Im assuming from what hoosier said that both fit.so there interchangeable. I did contact a seller they said the gxp has a 1" core single row., another seller says 5/8" thickness for the base witch is about what mine is. I already bought a base radiator but if the gxp fits and is truly almost 2x the thickness I will buy a gxp radiator for this coupe since it does not have a oil cooler like my 06, it's also automatic.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
update!! I just went out and opened the box..it's the thick core!!! $81.25 free shippen ( fleebay)and better cooling!!! so I dont need to order another one...unless I may want to have one for my 06....crap, more things to think on in my empty head ratteling around like bolts in a tin can.

·
Registered
Solstice 2006 red. 5 speed 82000km (51k miles)
9 Posts
There are actually 2 different radiators. The one for the automatic has the transmission cooling lines fitting and must be used if you are replacing one in a automatic. If on the other hand it is a manual transmission either radiator will work as you don't need the outlets for the cooling lines but the automatic radiator can be used in a manual. There is no difference between a GXP or the base model as far as the radiator but there is a difference in the cooling fans depending if you have the 2.0 or the 2.4.

The AC condensers are all the same in each car.
Q: I have a 2006 Solstice 5 speed manual transmission. I just receive a new radiator with those 2 holes fitted for automatic. Do I just install it and leave those two holes open?

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Q: I have a 2006 Solstice 5 speed manual transmission. I just receive a new radiator with those 2 holes fitted for automatic. Do I just install it and leave those two holes open?
As a general principle I would plug or cap them, but you can leave them open.

·
Registered
Solstice 2006 red. 5 speed 82000km (51k miles)
9 Posts
As a general principle I would plug or cap them, but you can leave them open.
Thanks for your input. I am no mechanic, i'm in IT. So my question is (dont laugh :) : will coolant fluid come out from these holes?

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Thanks for your input. I am no mechanic, i'm in IT. So my question is (dont laugh :) : will coolant fluid come out from these holes?
No. Those holes are for transmission fluid to flow through, so they are isolated from the coolant.

·
Registered
715 Posts
No. Those holes are for transmission fluid to flow through, so they are isolated from the coolant.
Would this circuit be able to be used for engine coolant? plug a couple T fittings to the main piping and make coolant flow in there. Or is this a stupid idea?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts