Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of years ago once in a while I would get the message "AUX INPUT DEVICE" displayed on the radio and it would stop working. Lately it has gotten worse and will go several days with this message, but the message will go away for a short while and I can use the radio again. 2007 Solstice. Wondering what next step I need to take to resolve.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Maybe it’s just because I am looking at the forum from my phone but I don’t see an attachment

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
several people have had this issue.
Get a can of compressed air, and shoot the air into the AUX hole to clean it out.

Reactions: Doug70

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
There is a buildup of dust inside the "Aux" jack on the bottom right of the radio. Insert a headphone plug and pull it back out. Do this several times.

This is how the radio knows that something is plugged into that port.

When nothing is plugged in there is what is called a voltage float. This is where the voltage is floating between positive and ground. GM has the radio set up where if the reading is say +20% of ground or -20% of positive then it considers something to be plugged in. I do not know the actual percentages I am using those as examples. GM used readings that are to close to the float voltage and EMI can cause it to change if there is to much surface area on the contacts on the jack. This will change the float voltage to within the range where the radio thinks that something is plugged in. Humidity coupled with dust is going to make the surface area of the contact larger. Once you have the contacts clean and the problem is no longer there then take a pencil eraser and trim it to make a cork and stick it in the hole. make sure you leave enough sticking out so you can take it out if needs be, another option is to cut the plug off of an old rubber cell phone case (if it has a plug for the handset port)

Reactions: RedOne07 and Doug70

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a buildup of dust inside the "Aux" jack on the bottom right of the radio. Insert a headphone plug and pull it back out. Do this several times.

This is how the radio knows that something is plugged into that port.

When nothing is plugged in there is what is called a voltage float. This is where the voltage is floating between positive and ground. GM has the radio set up where if the reading is say +20% of ground or -20% of positive then it considers something to be plugged in. I do not know the actual percentages I am using those as examples. GM used readings that are to close to the float voltage and EMI can cause it to change if there is to much surface area on the contacts on the jack. This will change the float voltage to within the range where the radio thinks that something is plugged in. Humidity coupled with dust is going to make the surface area of the contact larger. Once you have the contacts clean and the problem is no longer there then take a pencil eraser and trim it to make a cork and stick it in the hole. make sure you leave enough sticking out so you can take it out if needs be, another option is to cut the plug off of an old rubber cell phone case (if it has a plug for the handset port)
Thanks for the great advice, I will take it. This electrical engineer appreciates your detailed explanation.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's a very valid possibility. I have not had it happen myself, I use the aux jack as my main source of audio. To many trees for XM to work properly, live in to remote an area with to many mountains in the way to get reliable radio reception. The cell phone coverage is pretty good with only maybe 2 small areas that I usually pass through where it would cut out for maybe 30 seconds. So I do mostly Pandora so the buffering takes care of those areas where cell phone coverage lapses.

Reactions: Doug70

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
There is a product called “De-Oxit” we use on cables that go into patch bays in the pro-audio world. I believe it is essentially contact cleaner but one can spray the male connector and place it into and out of the jack multiple times to clean the “hole”...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Had that same issue 2-3 years into ownership. Dealer couldn't explain it. Coincidentally, battery had to be replaced not long after and the issue immediately went away. Can't explain from engineering standpoint, but appeared that it was reflective of an about-to-fail battery. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Had that same issue 2-3 years into ownership. Dealer couldn't explain it. Coincidentally, battery had to be replaced not long after and the issue immediately went away. Can't explain from engineering standpoint, but appeared that it was reflective of an about-to-fail battery. Just food for thought.
Daiwa,
Which battery are you referring to?
Battery in the engine bay or battery inside the radio head unit?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry, was referring to the car battery. Was not aware until now that there was a battery in the head unit.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There isn't one in the head unit

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That's what the car battery is for.. :oops:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey, we all have those kinds of mental slip ups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts