Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the archives and found a guy who went to the dealer and was going to be charged $160 but eventually got it done for $40.

I put in a used radio that is a six disc vrs the single disc I have. Easy swap but now radio displays "locked". I searched YouTube for videos but could not find much to help. Made an appointment at the local Chebby dealer and have an appointment to go in Tuesday morning to have the radio reprogrammed/unlocked. $100 + tax and probably whatever other charges they can come up with. They say it will take about an hour. I use this dealer often so know I am not being screwed. Just wondering if anyone else has ever come up with a way to fix the problem without spending a ton of money.

I know...it is a theft deterrent and I can live with that. Don't understand why it has to be so doggone expensive.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I know...it is a theft deterrent and I can live with that. Don't understand why it has to be so doggone expensive.
It is because they've got you, you must go to a dealer to get it unlocked, reprogrammed to work with the rest of the electronics.

Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is with GM dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I have searched the archives and found a guy who went to the dealer and was going to be charged $160 but eventually got it done for $40.

I put in a used radio that is a six disc vrs the single disc I have. Easy swap but now radio displays "locked". I searched YouTube for videos but could not find much to help. Made an appointment at the local Chebby dealer and have an appointment to go in Tuesday morning to have the radio reprogrammed/unlocked. $100 + tax and probably whatever other charges they can come up with. They say it will take about an hour. I use this dealer often so know I am not being screwed. Just wondering if anyone else has ever come up with a way to fix the problem without spending a ton of money.

Next time your up I will unlock it for free with my Tech2 it only takes about 2 min to do.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Made an appointment at the local Chebby dealer and have an appointment to go in Tuesday morning to have the radio reprogrammed/unlocked. $100 + tax and probably whatever other charges they can come up with. They say it will take about an hour. I use this dealer often so know I am not being screwed.
[...] Don't understand why it has to be so doggone expensive.
You ARE being screwed! It's a simple reset with a TechII. As Hoosier said, takes a couple of minutes.

Bend down and bring the Vaseline when you go to that dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts