Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in a handful of posts comments being made as to the general dissapointment of the " STANDARD RADIO." I'm unlcear as to what that is? The standard feature list includes "AM/FM w/CD" -- I ordered the next step up;? "AM/FM w/cd-mp3, auto volume, auto tone, seek scan. clock... " Then there's the 6pk cd option" then "Monsoon." I'm not an audiophile by any means. Just want a decent sound system with capable power and suitable sound quality for top down driving. I haven't been able to locate anything that quantifies the power output-speaker specifications of the "standard radio" Vs. that with MP-3 etc.

So my question is, are all the radio options except "Monsoon" the same basic radio/head unit with varying options? Or should I expect the the Cd/MP-3 option to afford a better overall system when compared to the standard piece?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Standard head unit is a basic CD unit. 6 speakers, not much amplification.

CD/MP3 stereo is an option. 6 Disc is a separate option. Monsoon option includes more and better speakers, a subwoofer (behind the passenger seat) and amps to power it all.

at the very least, go with the upgraded CD/MP3 head unit, but you'd be better off , sound-wise with the Monsoon. the un-amplified 6 speaker system will sound tinny, especially with wind in your hair.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
-Basic Headunit - typical CD/radio, can only be used with the crappy stock speaker setup

-MP3 CD Headunit - can play MP3s burned onto CDs (fit over 150 songs on a CD), has auto volume, etc.. can be used with EITHER crappy speakers OR monsoon upgrade.

-MP3 CD Headunit (6-CD changer) - same as above but with built in CD changer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
MP3 Headunits will also play WMA's for what its worth. Wouldn't compress my audio in that fashion, but some of people on here might.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Drex said:
MP3 Headunits will also play WMA's for what its worth. Wouldn't compress my audio in that fashion, but some of people on here might.
Suprised to hear that, actually.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fortimir said:
-Basic Headunit - typical CD/radio, can only be used with the crappy stock speaker setup

-MP3 CD Headunit - can play MP3s burned onto CDs (fit over 150 songs on a CD), has auto volume, etc.. can be used with EITHER crappy speakers OR monsoon upgrade.

-MP3 CD Headunit (6-CD changer) - same as above but with built in CD changer.
I thought that when you got the monsoon you automatically had to get the 6 disc? Try building one at the Pontiac website, I'm pretty sure you have to get the 6 disc to get the Monsoon.

·
2,574 Posts
GHM73 said:
Standard head unit is a basic CD unit. 6 speakers, not much amplification.

CD/MP3 stereo is an option. 6 Disc is a separate option. Monsoon option includes more and better speakers, a subwoofer (behind the passenger seat) and amps to power it all.

at the very least, go with the upgraded CD/MP3 head unit, but you'd be better off , sound-wise with the Monsoon. the un-amplified 6 speaker system will sound tinny, especially with wind in your hair.
I thought the Monsoon system required the changer upgrade also. Anyone remember what power is available to the standard 6 speakers w/out the Monsoons?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Monsoon can be on EITHER MP3-CD upgrade (single or 6-disk)... because they are the same head unit apart from the changer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I just emailed my sales guy to upgrade to 6pk/Monsoon. Order was placed only 20 days ago so it shouldn't affect the process.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SlyFly said:
Thanks guys. I just emailed my sales guy to upgrade to 6pk/Monsoon. Order was placed only 20 days ago so it shouldn't affect the process.
You won't be sorry.

I personally went with the single-disk because I will use my iPod mostly, but it will be nice to play CDs when neccessary.

·
2,574 Posts
SlyFly said:
Since the two increases-leather and wheels are effective on orders after 9/21 might you not suffer these increases if you change your order now? Might be a question for Small Dealer or the Cricket.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nix Sol said:
I thought that when you got the monsoon you automatically had to get the 6 disc? Try building one at the Pontiac website, I'm pretty sure you have to get the 6 disc to get the Monsoon.
Nope. I got Monsoon and the single disc CD/MP3 player

1 - 13 of 13 Posts