Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am thinking about replacing stock radio, and was wondering how that would affect re-sale value. The radio is shorting out, and the dealer wants 700.00 to place it. I would keep original radio, as a back up (get it repaired perhaps), and any installed radio would not cut dash or disfigure interior. Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
if by shorting out you mean switching bands,going to aux,etc, try taking the faceplate off and giving the contacts a good bath with electronics cleaner first.TS suggested this to me and my original radio is fine now...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the information. Redcoats, I am gonna try your suggestion first as that is exactly what my unit is doing.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Hope all works out for you as for the resale question I personally think it would not have any bearing on resale as long as the dash is not hacked up and the quality of the replacement is the same or better then the original . I would also keep the original and offer it to the buyer if you ever go to sell the car.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'll GIVE you my stock CD/radio, just pay for postage, worked fine. I replaced it with a touch screen Kenwood with GPS.

:)

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Having the original radio is a theft deterrent not to be underestimated. Stick a fancy deck in there and it calls out to thieves.

I actually managed to convince our local authorities of that once. I had a fairly rare (< 500 built) British convertible on a classic car policy that forbade the use of modern radios. I had a shuttle deck installed so I could stash it in the trunk when I parked the car, and they called me on it and said I should have an original deck in it. I told them that if they would give me a letter saying they had no problem with spending $5,000 on a new soft top every time someone decided they wanted a radio, I'd do it. They caved.

Mine had a Blaupunkt Berlin - the one with the stalk tuner that vibrated too much to see properly while you were driving, so I really didn't want it anyway. Cost somewhere around $2,000 as an option at the time!

Personally, I tend to leave the really good sound for the home. The Monsoon system isn't too shabby and is fine for road tunes, at least for me.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Nice post!

Thanks for the info and pic on that Blaupunkt!

Back in college, in Camden, NJ(high crime rate), a policeman told me once that it's better to leave your door unlocked. That way you only have to buy a new radio, instead of a radio AND a window. If their intent is to steal your car, they're gonna get it even if the door is locked, so if it's unlocked and stolen and you manage to get the car back, you once again don't have to buy a new window or door lock.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
He went on to say that radio thieves tend to be opportunistic young punks walking home from school or junkies looking for some quick small cash, whereas, guys who steal cars tend to be more professional and have all the tools and gizmos to get in your car and drive it away with it in a minute.

So a punky/junky radio/purse/wallet/etc. thief will tend to punch or kick your window out to snatch stuff he can see through the window. A car thief wants the whole car to take to a chop shop, so that they can sell the windows to people who locked their cars and had their windows smashed when a punk stole their sunglasses. Ha!

:)

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Hey, I'm not saying I took his advice. You don't get out of your car in Camden. You can get killed easy. I presently live a scant 5 blocks from Camden, which off and on had the highest murder rate per capita in the country(Detroit and Camden would vie to wear the crown every year). It's the County seat, so sometimes you just have to go there. And get out of your car(Normally you just floor it when you drive through Camden on your way to Philadelphia)((You can get killed there, too.)). My ritual is to remove all my jewelry, only bring my driver's license and a $20, dress like a junky or a wino sleepin' in a dumpster, take my worst, dirtiest, car, and lock all the doors. They love me at jury duty! Ha!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Having the original radio is a theft deterrent not to be underestimated. Stick a fancy deck in there and it calls out to thieves.

Personally, I tend to leave the really good sound for the home. The Monsoon system isn't too shabby and is fine for road tunes, at least for me.

Agree with Bill I have had a few cars lately with the factory premium sound system and for me a half deaf old guy everything works and sounds fine .I've had a few hot rods where the radio was pretty much useless and for the most part when the top is down on the car I really have no need for the radio

1 - 13 of 13 Posts