Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any details into this, or attempted it?

Sat down with a couple friends, one who builds corvettes for GMs race teams, and one of the fellows from Werks.

Looking for tips, or things to looks out for, as I know it is essentially bolt on if I can get the parts.

Not really concerned with the price since this will be a long time collecting parts, and sourcing little pieces.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Norm is actually well along on a coupe conversion top.

The fuel pump is mounted differently in the coupe. The tails are shaped to accommodate the top. The windows and regulators are different, as is the plastic trim behind the doors.

See the thread on Norms racing top and his conversion top

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I've seen norms top, but I like the factory targa.
The best solution would be to sell the convertible and purchase a coupe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The swap is possible but to do a complete conversion your looking at about $5000 just in parts.

The one problem you'll find is the hump in the trunk (haha that sounds funny) but I have a solution for this, PM me for details if you're serious.

--Christian

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best solution would be to sell the convertible and purchase a coupe.
I knew this would come up.

I wanted a 5speed turbo car. To even find, let alone buy a coupe with those options would have been difficult, and probably set me back no les than 25k.

My 08 gxp 5speed w/37k miles only set me back 16k.

5k in parts, it still come out on top. Plus I get to have fun driving my solstice while I collect parts :)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
But at 16 plus 5 you still haven't factored in labour or your time to fit it, paint it and make sure everything works. Even then for resale, it's not an original coupe but a highly modified convertible who's mods will likely depreciate the value of the car instead of appreciating it.

I can appreciate you wanting a coupe, they are beautiful looking cars but I wouldn't go to the trouble. Then again, it isn't my car or my money. Good luck Will with the project. :thumbs:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But at 16 plus 5 you still haven't factored in labour or your time to fit it, paint it and make sure everything works. Even then for resale, it's not an original coupe but a highly modified convertible who's mods will likely depreciate the value of the car instead of appreciating it.

I can appreciate you wanting a coupe, they are beautiful looking cars but I wouldn't go to the trouble. Then again, it isn't my car or my money. Good luck Will with the project. :thumbs:
All good points.

The time is no matter to me, I have a good friend who does body work for a living, so I will have nearly unlimited access to good advice.

I've never paid anyone to work on one of my vehicles, since I find the work relaxing. The more work it is, the more of a challenge, and the better sense of accomplishment I get in the end. I plan on keeping this car for the foreseeable future. When the LNF gives up its last breath, I'll swap in an LSx.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love some detail shots of the interior behind the seats. I know almost all the trim is different.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I would love some detail shots of the interior behind the seats. I know almost all the trim is different.
We have plenty of members who could supply them.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Wade's Garage a few years ago bought the back half of a wrecked coupe to do something like this. Might be worth contacting him to see what his experience has been or if be wants to sell the parts if he never completed the project.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Yeah, I agree wait for a coupe and buy it. Would like to see the conversion on a Sky, though.

#8 Darren McNamara, Team Falken Saturn Sky | Main gallery | Photos | Motorsport.com

Also, Norm is currently converting a Sol coupe replica hardtop onto a customers SKY. Main difference, on the Falken Sky the B pillar is vertical, on Norms th B pillar is curved (and exposed) in order to seal with the verts curved side window glass. Along with the coupes incorporated spoiler having to be extended further back due to the difference in the Sol rear bumper and the Sky rear bumper.

Pics do not do a SKY coupe justice because it give the car a totally different look when you see it in person. Had Saturn offered a coupe I would have had a tougher time deciding between Pontiac and Saturn.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Better question... how did he get the steering wheel on the right? Far as I knew these cars were ALL LHD.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wade's Garage a few years ago bought the back half of a wrecked coupe to do something like this. Might be worth contacting him to see what his experience has been or if be wants to sell the parts if he never completed the project.
Will do. The GM stuff is definitely not cheap.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts