Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I want to just run outside and put up the top and close the windows (like if it suddenly starts raining).
Is there anyway to override the need to have a key in the ignition to raise the windows? Seems stupid to me to need a key to close the windows.
Rain storms start up suddenly here.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Having the windows energized all the time would be a security issue. While it might be tough someone could possibly open the window by springing the window and getting something on the button.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The best option would have been for them to add a button on the key fob (like lock 3 times rolls up windows), but they didn't. I think some people have set it so that they are powered for a set time after the key is removed, but I agree with Got_Sol, I wouldn't want them supplied with power all the time.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't see the security issue on a convert. If they want in it ,they would just cut the top. A thief doesn't mind tearing up a car. Or they could just break a window also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll bet that there's a secret code to enable the windows to be rolled UP without a key. No security leak there, as long as you still need a key to roll them down. Maybe a safety issue if kids are playing in the car...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
There is definitely a code to roll up/down the windows. In-fact, you may even be able to send a code to activate the circuit with the car off and then roll however you want.... you just need to know the codes that are being used each time you hit the button and a way to send them along the wire(bluetooth/smartphone) and then see if you can activate it with the key out.

Cool thing is practically everything in these cars is controllable by the computer/bad thing is almost everything on these cars is controlled by the computer.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Cool thing is practically everything in these cars is controllable by the computer/bad thing is almost everything on these cars is controlled by the computer.
That statement pretty much says it all on a lot of issues... :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
The power windows are not controlled by the BCM. They are directly controlled by the switches.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
There are ways around it. TS put in a mod that allows him to roll up and down the windows with just one push (no holding, think 'auto' for both windows, but up and down). I believe that module also has a lead for 'all the way up' and (for hooking up to an aftermarket alarm). I'm sure you could find a way to alternately power the windows when using this module to give you constant power to the windows IF YOU WANTED TO! Alternatively, you might be able to find a way to utilize the lead for "all the way up" functionality to give you what you want. I"m sure it's more complicated than I make it sound, but I doubt it's impossible to do.

Here is the part:

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
Powering the windows independently from the key isn't overly difficult, even with no other mods.

The RAP relay is in the BCM, and the incoming and outgoing power connections are both in the same connector, so all you have to do is wire a switch between pins D1 and D5 in connector C3.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're parking your car outside, shouldn't you put the top up anyway to keep the sun from damaging the interior (or keep birds from pooping in it)? Yes, we can drive around with the top down, but leaving it parked outside for hours on end with the top down does not seem prudent, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
If you're parking your car outside, shouldn't you put the top up anyway to keep the sun from damaging the interior (or keep birds from pooping in it)? Yes, we can drive around with the top down, but leaving it parked outside for hours on end with the top down does not seem prudent, IMHO.
Depends, in the winter here in FL, I leave the top down when I go in places or when I'm home and I know I'll be going out later. Now, in the summer is a different story. If I put the top down, I put it up when I get where I'm going just to save myself from burning my A$$ on the seat when I get out ;)

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Same here...its not so much worry about the sun damaging my interior as worry about the sun damaging my posterior!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Our previous unit Envious #1113, did not require a key to turn the crank to roll up the windows. ;)
Yes, but the emergency room visit costs are so high after continually trying to wind up the windows from outside the car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, on my previous car, a third generation Corvette, I just jumped power from the cigarette lighter to the windows to solve the problem. I guess I'll take a look at JR's suggestion: "The RAP relay is in the BCM, and the incoming and outgoing power connections are both in the same connector, so all you have to do is wire a switch between pins D1 and D5 in connector C3."
Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts