Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

RAM 250 Destroyed my Front Bumper Cover - Replaced with new GM part!

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  halnwheels 
#1 ·
My wife and I just returned from an outing on a beautiful Solstice day and we were having a late lunch at an outdoor café. Our Solstice was parked in the parking lot about 20 feet from us when a RAM 250 pickup truck turned the corner and creamed the front left corner of our car. We couldn't see our car as the truck was in the way, but he proceeded to try to extricate himself from the situation and further destroyed the front bumper cover. His step-rail had hooked inside the wheel well and his back and forth efforts were very destructive. I am picking my car up today from the body shop. They were able to get all new parts from GM! I am astounded that even the front bumper cover
was available new.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oddly enough I drove our Sol to work today. Ran to the drive-through ATM at lunchtime and was stuck behind a CUV (whose driver was apparently trying to re-finance her home through the ATM based upon the amount of time she was taking.) It was then that the old bumper sticker on a tractor trailer popped into my mind.

"If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you."

That was exactly my condition and reminded me why I keep my head on a swivel, especially in parking lots. The Solstice is easily blocked from view especially with most other vehicles getting taller.

Glad you found the parts you needed!

#4 ·
Glad you had a good outcome. My wife had a heavy dut y truck back into her Sky front bumper and put a 2 inch square hole in it. Got it fixed good as new

#7 ·
I have to say, I feel way more visible and more secure in my Sol than in my previous 91 miata. The miata had a lower waistline with no safety equipment to speak of, with the top of my head sticking a couple inches above the windshield frame. The feeling of sitting down further in the Sol is better than the feeling of sitting on top of the Miata. Miata always reminded me a bit of an empty 2100 pound coke can. I do tend to drive both of them as you do a motorcycle.......aware and defensive in traffic. All that said, I love driving them both, but they are substantially different cars, albeit both, red 2 seaters.

#8 ·
Miata always reminded me a bit of an empty 2100 pound coke can

If you think the Miata is bad try driving a Lotus Elise. It literally is an empty coke can. Only thing that is steel on the car are the rear frame rails and the brake rotors everything else is aluminum and fiberglass and a lot of it is held together with glue and double side tape. The seats don't even have any padding!! and it weighs less than 2100 LBS too!!! I believe the number is 1893 dry weight with no options. Engine was 11.5:1 compression and had a red line of 9000 RPM. 190 HP from a 1.8l 4 banger.

#9 ·
I have only ever seen 1 elise at a show and shine and was amazed at how spartan it looked, akin to a race car. I didn't know the specs but I can only imagine revving it out. You would need to be a good and quick driver to even come close to maximizing performanace. Something I would like to try.

#10 ·
Oh the best part. The truly fun part... No power steering and the steering wheel is only something like 11" in diameter. You NEVER shift in a corner with that car only when the car is going straight. If you are moving at a good speed and take a hand off the wheel chances are you will loose control of the car. You definitely will if you hit a bump without both hands on the wheel. It's very hard on the body and you are not going to fit a person in the car that weighs more then 180 LBS. The seats are too narrow. With 2 people in the car there is NO room for anything else in it.The driver and passenger are literally shoulder to shoulder. The "trunk" if that's what you want to call it is only 4 cubic feet and the battery takes up some of that space.

#11 ·
Here is me when I took possession of the one I used to own. I got it from Ferrari of Denver.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

You can get an idea of the lack of interior space in this photo. It also shows you that the car literally didn't have anything n the way of interior trim. I put in an Alarm/Remote Starter and that is what I was taking pictures of.

Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle Auto part Engineering

And this is what it looks like when you hit a bird going 140+ MPH.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Car

Look at that first photo. I am 5'10" tall. look at how long the car is!!!! Go Kart comes to mind.

#12 ·
The only design element I didn't care for with the car was the way the front looked like a big smiley face. Kind of like how the Solstice looks like a beaver (the animal).

#13 ·
Here's another update... It turns our that the left headlight was compromised so that it started taking on water after washing. The lens cover separated from the plastic housing. I stopped by the body shop and they put in for a supplement. Then he went back to his GM guy and guess what? I now have two brand new headlights, one paid for by me and the other buy the idiot (well his insurance co anyway). She's looking real fine now! Parts ARE available.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Water

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Package delivery Shipping box Font Packing materials Wood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.