Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add just a little bit more hp to my 2006-2.4L engine which list at 170hp. Instead of installing turbo or super charger which gets expensive, what about a Ram Air Kit. I see one on ebay called "Secret Weapon-r Cold Air Intake" ($292.95) which feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system. However, it doesn't say how many more hp it will add to the engine. Any idea ?:smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
There is basically nothing wrong with the stock intake other than adding a performance filter to the intake this is just a waste of money /scam period . Want more horsepower from a 2.4 open up your wallet because that's the only way to get it I know .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read some reviews from others who have installed Ram Air Kits and they said it only gives them 5-7 more hp. Not worth installing. I'll just stay with the 170 hp.

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
Electric fans are a legitimate way to increase engine power, and are being evaluated by the OEMs. They are supplemental in nature, providing boost when the turbo can't. They have to be designed into the engine controls, so aftermarket applications aren't realistic, and certainly won't provide any benefit at anything much above idle.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Lot of threads on this subject: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&biw=1280&bih=739&ei=cLb8WcTMMMW4jwTCzLC4Bg&q=2017+++pontiac+solstice+2.4+tune+site:www.solsticeforum.com&oq=2017+++pontiac+solstice+2.4+tune+site:www.solsticeforum.com&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.5463.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.kfF5Q3yklLo

The consensus over the years has been that for any real performance gains for the 2.4 that you have to go w/a supercharger or turbo. Period. I don't believe that has changed. Now a couple different places do offer 2.4 tunes, along w/recommending buying a free flow catalytic converter and performance exhaust for best results. So figure two grand.

Or you could buy a tunnel brace and F&R rear frame brace (DDM or PAW), which helps to stiffen up the frame, and allows you to have more confidence in the cars handling and enjoy the 2.4 a little more. Figure $400 bucks. Though I should add that good tires are equally as important.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Chop my initial build was just that a GM /CAI (more for show) a header ,a high flo cat , a Magnaflow exhaust and ultimately a tune .Never had it dyno'd but it was more responsive and I attribute most of that to the tune which removed some of the restrictions GM placed on the car .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts