Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after hearing about all the troubles with jacking points,pucks,etc.im wondering if a set of drive up ramps would be a safer way to change the oil in my new(to me)sol.also wondering if anyone can recommend a car bra that fits good and doesnt flap around at highway speeds.i have a few rock chips already but dont really want to repaint the nose of the car.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Personally, I dont like ramps but many use them with good success. I prefer to jack but am having problems with the "hard" points where the stands go failing.

I would never put a bra on any car I like. There are several discussion about this from years past. Get some 3M clear bra installed or do it yourself. I did it myself using a kit I found online and it was fine.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I sometimes use ramps but only if someone is there to help guide me. Always worried about alignment or going to far and falling off! I have a bra on my car. Ebay from a Chevy dealer so it is a GM piece. Total of four pieces...bumper cover, hood lip and corner hood lips (due to separation of hood line by headlights. I have used bras on many of my vehicles with no problems. A good coat of wax prior to installation will help...and an occasional application thereafter. Occasionaly take it off and clean car and bra. Don't let dust or too much debris accumulate under it which could cause scratches. My next door neighbor has a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with a LeBra and they never takes it off the car...and I mean never. The car sits out, not in a garage. I work on their car for them now and then and I have had to remove it to do certain jobs. The paintwork underneath is fine. The bra itself need to be replaces due to age and may be causing some problems now. Even streetrodders use them and their paintwork ain't cheap! ...just my opinion!

If you do use a bra on the car, watch out for those parking blocks...tear up you bumper cover and the bra...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use ramps to do my oil. But sometimes I need to jack her up, like when I cross tires (ft to bk) and then I use my pucks. Seeing how I have already had my fenders trashed by a tire dealer, I'm tempted to take all 4 off each time I need them rebalanced or replaced and just leave the Sky on jack stands in my garage.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a pretty good tire dealer in town,have been going there for years and they have worked on slostices(solsti?) before.i do intend to remind them about the hard points and will not leave the car there until i am sure they are trustworthy.perhaps i should chase down the solstice owners that i see around and ask them who they recommend...

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
NEVER put a bra on a car. It makes marks no matter how tight or good it fits.... Just like the real thing! :glol::glol::glol:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
NEVER put a bra on a car. It makes marks no matter how tight or good it fits.... Just like the real thing! :glol::glol::glol:
Clementine had a bra on it at the dealer. My one condition for buying it was that they remove the bra first. It took them an entire day of polishing the **** out of front end to fix all the damage the bra caused. Of course because of the bra there's no rock or bug chips on the front, but I've always hated car bras. They help in some ways but they do cause damage of their own and they make your car look ugly all the time (imo)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use ramps for oil.
No bra or clear.
You learn to repair chips and fix them.
The trick to fix chips is get the air out of the
hole. Take your finger rubber glove with paint
on end push the paint into the hole.
There are kits made for this.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Have had bras on many of my cars and never had any issues I put a couple coats of good wax on the car ,wash and dry the section that is on the hood (I lift it up),and remove it a couple of times a year and wax underneath it.Some cars look better with a bra on them than others but overall the protection that it provides is well worth the cost to me.I may try the 3m product this year as I'm taking the car in for some touchups and the dreaded trunk dent that needs fixing.As for the ramps my car is lowered and the ones I have won't work with it so I just jack it up and use jackstands and pucks .I have been looking at a way to mount a set permanently on the cars jack pads one of my winter projects

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I use ramps for oil too. for the Solstice, I have a couple 1ft square 2x12's with 45º angles on both ends. makes it real easy to drive up on them since the bumper is so low. I had friends that used bras on their cars when they first came out back in the day and once they wore out and took them off you could easily tell where it was. scratches and discoloration.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I use rino ramps for oil. Rated at 15k pounds. I had them for my H2, work great with my light weight Sky and I drive up on them myself alone, just do it carefully. My problem with ramps is that in my driveway they "sometimes" slide, and of course you must be careful you don't drive over the top... BUT, once on them, I feel totally totally secure underneath the car, whereas with a jack I always worry of the car sliding off somehow and crushing my ass, when I do use a jack, I always back the jack up with jack stands for safety, more work, but safety is paramount...obviously..

As for bras, (the leather type) can damage your paint as others have stated, they tend to flap in the wind was my experience when I had it on my Porsche 924S. Currently I'm in the process of removing my old 3M film because of age 7+ years installed. One thing I can attest to, this stuff works very very well, did its job protecting what was covered... HOWEVER, let me tell it is a motherph*cker to get this stuff off. :willy: I mean it is a BIG PITA!!! After working hours on removal, I have only removed a small section on the fender/hood area, & one of the mirrors. Using a hair dryer was useless cause it was starting to burn up. :lol: I instead, with great success using a steam cleaner and a plastic scraper from home depot. And THEN, you have to deal with the glue residue removal which easier than the plastic, still a PITA getting that crap off.. :cuss: I have decided that in the future, I will NOT be putting on this stuff. The 3 photo I'll share shows how it has deteriorated over the years, and then removal is painstakingly slow and in small pieces. When this old it does NOT peal off in one big piece.:willy: Even tho my car is dirty, you can still see the shine vs the dullness of the area covered up...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/ciscokid007/IMG_0302.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/ciscokid007/IMG_0301.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/ciscokid007/IMG_0300.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
When I lived in TX a bra was a necessity. Lived there one year. When I removed the bra the paint underneath looked better than the rest of the vehicle.

I think the bra would look fine on a mysterious solstice.

I hate it when someone changes lanes in front of me and I can hear the little pings of debris hitting the car.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm with you there MB. when I do use jack stands, I keep the jack under the car just barely touching as a backup as well as an extra jack stand. when I did the front suspension on the 73 vette, I used both floor jacks, all 4 jack stands and my old scissor jack. I ain't tryin to die under a car.

for the clear bra, I would have thought moderate even heat would help but I guess if it's that old then it's completely dried and brittle. the steam is a good idea. I wonder if you can hit it pretty good with a heat gun and then use a pressure washer to peel it off. then get a gallon of goo be gone. gonna be a tough one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm with you there MB. when I do use jack stands, I keep the jack under the car just barely touching as a backup as well as an extra jack stand. when I did the front suspension on the 73 vette, I used both floor jacks, all 4 jack stands and my old scissor jack. I ain't tryin to die under a car.

for the clear bra, I would have thought moderate even heat would help but I guess if it's that old then it's completely dried and brittle. the steam is a good idea. I wonder if you can hit it pretty good with a heat gun and then use a pressure washer to peel it off. then get a gallon of goo be gone. gonna be a tough one.
In fact I have a pressure cleaner, might still give a whirl.. I definitely peeled off some when I was screwing around one day, you can sorta see its effects on my picture...hmmm IF it removes the glue with it, I just might try it again, only this time seriously instead of goofing off.. I'll let you know the results.. Hell anything is better than what I have ahead of me even with the steam cleaner...:willy:

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
What's 3M recommend for removal? Any chemical I keep thinking of I wouldn't want on my paint.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well CW, to remove the glue residue, you WILL use "chemicals"...

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Well, I've used "goo be gone" to remove bug guts and tree sap on all of my cars and I have not seen any negative affects. It's pretty potent stuff and I bet it may help soften the material. Starts a pretty good fire too:) paint thinner may also help. Stuff like lacquer thinner, acetone and paint stripper should probably be avoided.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts