Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my latest issue of Hemmings Motor News (March ) and there is an ad for a 2010 GXP coupe . The seller claims it's the only one painted in Santiago Teal Metallic (WA717S) .One owner car ,7200 miles , auto , loaded , $59,900.00 obo 954-410-6253 FL. Just wondering if it really is one of one ?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Famous car, even has its own dedicated thread !

https://www.s olsticeforum.com/threads/f-s-2010-santiago-teal-coupe-one-of-one-oem-color.160312/

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
There was only one 2010 Coupe painted in Santiago Teal, it was a Canada only color and the car was originally for sale in Canada. It ended up in Florida. Beware, it does NOT have air conditioning. Also, as a 2010 Coupe it was 1 of 12.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Just imagine what it would be worth with A/C... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Would be relatively easy to install a/c. Enough salvaged roadster with a/c available. :)

Does the bcm need an update after installing a/c ?

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be relatively easy to install a/c. Enough salvaged roadster with a/c available. :)

Does the bcm need an update after installing a/c ?
This guy has this car priced in the collector car market the color and the fact that it is a non air car I believe contributes to that one of one status adding air would definitely devalue it . Why pay this guy's price when there are low mileage GXP coupes with air out there for thousands less than this guy is asking .

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
This guy has this car priced in the collector car market the color and the fact that it is a non air car I believe contributes to that one of one status adding air would definitely devalue it . Why pay this guy's price when there are low mileage GXP coupes with air out there for thousands less than this guy is asking .
Item 1: This is a pre-production 2010 Kappa (1 of 30), a 2010 Solstice (1 of 20), a 2010 Solstice Coupe, making it 1 of 12.
Item 2: There were 2 of the 2010 Solstice coupes built without air conditioning.
Item 3: This is the only Solstice painted Santiago Teal Metallic from the factory.

Is it rare? Yes.
Is it collectible? Not yet. (opinion)
Is it worth $59.9K? Not Yet. (opinion)

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
. . . . Why pay this guy's price when there are low mileage GXP coupes with air out there for thousands less than this guy is asking .
There will always be cheaper cars, and more expensive. Cars are passion and most people buy these toys because we have too much money, so all logic is off. Besides that I do not think anyone should buy that coupe, because . . . . Roadsters Rule ! :)

Item 1: This is a pre-production 2010 Kappa (1 of 30), a 2010 Solstice (1 of 20), a 2010 Solstice Coupe, making it 1 of 12.
Definitely a unique, very unique and rare ride.

There are hundreds of pre-production Kappas. Most people not even know they have one. Does pre-production really ad to the value or appeal ? I think, not sure, it would for me.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
There are hundreds of pre-production Kappas. Most people not even know they have one. Does pre-production really ad to the value or appeal ? I think, not sure, it would for me.
As far as our Kappas, if there were no pre-production 2010 Kappas, there would be NO 2010 Kappas.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Yes, so that means pre-production does not make a 2010 unique, it does make other model years unique though :)

·
Premium Member
10,383 Posts
Let's be clear the only reason people give the coupe some lofty place is because of this forum, period.
It is nothing more than a convertible with a a hard top shell. The chassis is not different, there is nothing unique about it other than the hard top shell.
The frame is the same and so are all the other components.

·
Super Moderator
6,985 Posts
Let's be clear the only reason people give the coupe some lofty place is because of this forum, period.
It is nothing more than a convertible with a a hard top shell. The chassis is not different, there is nothing unique about it other than the hard top shell.
The frame is the same and so are all the other components.
I won't make any statement about whether it should be given a lofty place, but there are quite a few components that are different, so it is not just a convertible with a hard top. By which I mean that you cannot convert one to the other and make an exact copy. Most of the different components are body, but not all of them are.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I think that most cars that come in both styles share a lot, particularly below the waist line, but also have a lot of their own parts unique to the coupe application, so I don't disagree with LV's statement but I also don't see that anyone thinks that the coupe is elevated to any 'lofty' place by most owners.

Obviously the people that get off on owning a particularly rare car have that going for coupe ownership, but the rest of the owners (like me) probably just prefer the coupe shape and simply owning a coupe. I owned lots of convertible cars when I was younger by now prefer the coupes. No big deal....

Bill (who currently owns 5 coupes and only one convertible, which will never see the road again)

·
Premium Member
10,383 Posts
John but that is the point, some of the body parts which are not that many, in other words Pontiac/GM did not design the coupe vs the convertible as they do with the Corvette or any of the other cars that were both a convertible and also a coupe. It is not just some of the body parts but the chassis etc.
To Bill yes, I buy one vs the other because of what I like and in my case is the convertible.
One other point, the new C8 really does not require a coupe since the convertible itself is really a coupe, but even with the new design, there are those that like the coupe better than the convertible, even though it becomes a coupe when the hard top is electronically extracted from the inside engine compartment.

·
Super Moderator
6,985 Posts
John but that is the point, some of the body parts which are not that many, in other words Pontiac/GM did not design the coupe vs the convertible as they do with the Corvette or any of the other cars that were both a convertible and also a coupe. It is not just some of the body parts but the chassis etc.
To Bill yes, I buy one vs the other because of what I like and in my case is the convertible.
One other point, the new C8 really does not require a coupe since the convertible itself is really a coupe, but even with the new design, there are those that like the coupe better than the convertible, even though it becomes a coupe when the hard top is electronically extracted from the inside engine compartment.
I think you are not comparing like things, because the Solstice Coupe is a coupe in name only, and is not really a coupe version of the Solstice. It is a variant, just as the Sky and Solstice (and GT and G2X) are variants. And all are convertibles. The coupe has a unique roofline, so really it is more different from the Solstice than the Solstice is from the Sky.

The other cars that have coupe and convertible versions have one version with a fixed hard roof, and one with a removeable roof. The chassis are different because the removeable roof requires reinforcement to be added to replace the strength supplied by the fixed roof. The three (or five) Kappas can share an identical chassis because none has a fixed roof that would allow a lighter chassis.

I love semantic discussions, (or discussions about semantics) because while no one is ever really right, no one is ever really wrong.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would think the coupe would always bring more money than a vert with the same options and mileage because there where a LOT less made. Supply and demand.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts