Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2007 Solstice convertible. So far it has been a lot of trouble-had to get the top worked on and some work on the differential. Now there is a rattle in the shifter which only stops if I am touching it! Dealer says this much noise is permittable by GM tech but that seems crazy to me. Love the look of the car but am missing my 20 year old Miata quite a lot with all the problems this car has given me so far. any advice about what the noise is and what to do? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Welcome. Sorry you are not having a great ownership experience.

Since your car is an 07 it is likely out of warranty on the top. I am surprised that you got the dealer to work on it at all.

There was a recall on the differential that should have been applied.

Have your GM dealer pull a report on the car and it will tell you all maintenance that has been done by a GM dealer. If you see recurring problems that were previously covered under warranty then it gives you better leverage to get GM to address their repairs if necessary.

I am surprised that you had a 20 year old Miata that was still running. Congratulations on that achievement.

Some shifters do rattle. You have some possible fixes. You can look to getting a replacement GM shifter or add weight to the existing one.

JPM also makes a replacement unit that is threaded to accept a broad range of shift knobs. You can get a heavier shift knob which will make the shifter much more resistant to vibration and rattling.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
You can also tighten the shifter bolt. It has been known to vibrate loose.

·
Registered
406 Posts
mine vibrates and makes noise when im around 6k rpms but once i put my hand on it, it stops... i did switch mine out for a lighter knob, popped off the old one took a die to it and screwed on the now one with locktite so i would suggest looking for anything loose

·
Registered
390 Posts
Does this only happen in a certain gear?
Im also having the same issue but its only on 2 gear. The other gears DOnt give me any noise and i have a 08 gxp. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I have a replacement gearshift shaft & knob and mine started making the noise after the changeover, usually in upper revs of first and second gears. At first I thought it was the transmission going (aggh!) 'til I realized it was the shifter. I packed the inside of my shifter knob tight with some black mastic and that fixed it for a time, though it's started back very occasionally now (time to repack :))

I guess it's just a resonance thing with our Hummer truck transmissions. Annoying but not anything to worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It might sound stupid, but check the plastic panel under the hood that touches the windshield - these usually don't fit correctly and can vibrate against the glass especially on the passenger side - the noise feeds down through the air intake for the heating system and sounds just like it is coming from the shifter. The noise comes and goes depending on wind and speed. The fix for me was a few layers of black foam tape under the edge of the plastic panel.
Ian

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
All good tips (as usual). I have not had this issue but when it comes to BSR (buzz squeak rattle) issues I usually get to a spot on the road where I can maintain the speed and rpm that creates it, then listen and run my fingers over dash, gauges, bezels, trim, etc to see if I can isolate the source - ditto for the gear shift. A little mastic or foam pads can go a long way. If it's excessive or recurring, you may need to pop a panel and put in some "tolerance gatherer" such as the foam in additional hidden areas.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the shifter. It didn't sound like a squeak or pop but a true rattle and it drove me crazy. It would quit when I grabbed the shifter also. After searching and tightening anything near the center of the car I thought might be causing it, I finally noticed slight wear on the insulation of the wiring bundle where it was rubbing against the bottom of the plastic console cover. I put foam tape around the wiring and the "rattle" went away. The reason it quit when I touched the shifter before was because my arm was against the console when grabbing the shifter and muffling the sound coming through the plastic. Squeaks and rattles never seem to be what they sound like.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
My 2009 Coupe recently developed a second gear-only rattle, similar to bluesulfer. Only occurs around 25 mph. Only momentary, unless the pedal is cycled. Anyone have luck addressing this issue since this thread was created over 4 years ago?

The GM dealer has diagnosed the rattle as an internal synchronizer noise. Assuming this diagnosis is accurate, perhaps there’s an effective means to dampen the rattle, external to the transmission.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Thanks Rob.

The car shifts perfectly, including second gear. So at this point the synchros are doing their job, other than making an annoying rattle (assuming the noise is the synchros).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mine started making noise is almost all gears

replaced with a DDM Short Throw Shifter and aftermarket bamboo shift knob
Make it worse.

Packed in a BUNCH of grease all over all contact points and everything went away.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Two weeks ago, I tried wrapping the shifter shaft with pipe insulation. May have helped a bit, but the 2nd gear rattle persisted.

This morning, I wandered around Lowes, looking for something inexpensive I could use to deaden the rattle. Settled on these rubber stair treads:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Building-Products-24-in-Black-Vinyl-Residential-Stair-Treads/3056225

Bought two of them, at $2.88 each.

I cut the treads into four circles (had material to make two more circles, but stopped at four). I then cut a hole in the middle to fit around the shifter shaft. I placed the rubber circles at the base of the shifter, rotating the opening (cut) 90 degrees each time. I placed two pieces of double-back sticky tape on top of each piece to provide spacing between layers. The attached photos show the process, including a photo of the shifter after the work was done.

Took the car for about a 10 mile drive on city streets. At best, I expected to still hear the rattle, but muffled. Instead, I can no longer hear the rattle at all. It’s as if I tightened a loose fastener (which I didn’t). I’ll report back in a few weeks on whether the jury-rigged repair holds.

While I was at it, I lubricated the seat belt latch with WD-40. I’ve been hearing squeaks lately when driving over bumps—sounded as if it were coming from springs in the seat. Poked around and found the seat belt latch would groan when bent. Before squirting WD-40 into the latch, wrapped the latch with paper towels, to keep over-spray from getting on the interior, or excess WD-40 draining out of the base of the latch. The squeak is completely cured.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Repair is still holding.

I did notice a sort of rubbing or squeaking sound, which I traced to the pipe insulation rubbing on the shifter rod. I removed the pipe insulation, and the 2nd gear rattle returned with a vengeance. However, the pipe insulation alone didn’t quell the rattle, so need a combination of the pipe insulation and rubber discs. I sprayed some WD-40 on the shifter rod, which stopped the rubbing sound (note that I didn’t affix the pipe insulation to the shifter rod—only wrapped it around, then secured with black duct tape on the outside of the foam insulation). Reinstalled the pipe insulation: all is good again.

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts