Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have in my trunk the perfect soft top.

There is no taking it apart and putting it back together, which is time consuming and frustrating. It's one piece. It fits, with room to spare, in the hatch. It uses all the existing latches and braces. It is still completely water tight, air tight, rigid, and noise free. An engineer (not me) perfected the top. And he did a helluva job.

And as a retired marketing guy, would love to mass produce it. But for who? A dozen people? Two dozen? It's not like there is a never-ending, and growing number of coupes. To make it affordable to buyers and profitable to the manufacturer (or investors) you'd want to know that the product has long-term possibilities and a large, or at least growing market. I am hoping one or more people will tell me where I'm wrong, because the time that went into this thing was considerable. The design was perfected. That was the first challenge. The only other challenge I see is how to produce more and make a profit? Thoughts?

I re-started this thread because the first one had gotten off subject.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds interesting, however main reason I wouldn't be interested is due to already investing in the GM soft top.
You just made my point about a shrinking market, rather than a static or growing one. On the other hand, the number of available soft tops (OEM) isn't growing either. And there's no comparison between them and mine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
how about some pictures ?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Possible more interest/sales could be generated if color-matching choices could be made available or at least optional. JPM (former forum vendor) has already color matched a wicked
That would obviously be a strong selling point :agree:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how about some pictures ?
Before I go giving away for free, dozens of weekends of hard work, and tons of engineering expertise, I need to talk to the inventor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would be interested. I have the OEM soft top. It's useless for me. It takes too long to put together and I store it assembled so it doesn't wrinkle the vinyl and I don't have to get frustrated putting it back together.

Last week I took the hard top off for a quick ride. I put it back on that night but didn't close the latches. 2 days later I jump in the car for a quick run into town and just as I am working through the gears I catch the top as it is levitating of car. Fastest 60-0 stop in history and disaster averted. Now I make sure the top is secured when I put it back on even if it means having to get the keys and unlock the doors.

BTW Ron, Nice car, but I might be a little biased. 2,200 kms on her so far or less than 1500 miles.

John

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BTW Ron, Nice car, but I might be a little biased. 2,200 kms on her so far or less than 1500 miles.

Yes, your taste in coupes is impeccable :yesnod:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Since I don't own a soft top. Priced with in reason and illustrated as to fit , or guaranteed to fit I'd be interested as well. Photos would be a great start.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Best line:
It’s been a tremendous investment for me and some of these cars when I bought them many years ago I thought boy I’m paying way too much money for this car but I like it, they just are very hard to come by so I’m gonna buy it, well course now that proven to be a good move, yeah it is special and getting rarer by the day and just harder to come by.

and could be applied to Kappa's.

Another crazy idea for the re-engineered targa; combo of color matching canvas border with a tinted vinyl sunroof inset, since I've always felt Pontiac would eventually have offered a targa sunroof.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts