Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the EOP is over for the most part, and I for one am happy to see it go. In fact I hope to never hear about it again. Oh sure, I may watch a few of the Senate Hearings on C-Span. Perhaps even the first public hangings of the IT Vendor's staff may be of interest. But I will never ever go to any of the reunions, not even the 25th, so don't try to drag me there. Ann don't try to tell me about the EOP Snow Babbies set individually numbered and colored to match the appropriate cars on QVC, it would be to painful. I think the Patriots will have to win another Super Bowl before this heartache will heal.

No seriously, I couldn't come up with a word to explain how I felt between 2:00 and 2:43. When I first heard the Solstice was going into production I anticipated the demand. I even told the General Manager of Pontiac that they need to be closer to 40,000 units in the first year then cut back. But I also anticipated not being able to get one. In fact I joked at a meeting that the 5 people I had talked to about the car would take me through the 2011 model year. When the Early Order Program was announced, I thought it had some good points and offered the smaller dealerships the chance to get in the game up front. But I also saw the bad points. And anticipating the quick sell out, I was again prepared not to be able to get a car for the 1 of my 5 that was interested in trying for the EOP. What I wasn't prepared for was the three people that walked through my door today wanting in. But I think I managed their expections and was ready to try hard but be shut out. To get shut out and wonder "what if ?" because of sever and system issues, just broke my heart. So I know what those that really wanted this car and wanted it as soon as possible are feeling.

But now reality returns. (Amazing how a 7 year old can do that to you) Looking at the numbers in the Yahoo Businees release, 5,000+ entires were made today. 1,000 (or 1,021 if you believe everything that is posted) for the "first 1000" cars and 4,000 wait listed. It is reported that 20,000 ID numbers have been issued. This was a long shot for any one order. At the end of the day Pontiac filled thier 1,000 slots with 1,000 buyers. The computer issues didn't keep that from happening. All it did was strech out the time it took to fill the slots. It's biggest impact was a redistribution of the winners. With no issues some that were shut out may have been accepted and some that were accepted would have been shut out. But some that were shut out would have still been shut out, just as some that were accepted would have still been accepted. While not getting in is hurting some, it is the unknown and the unfairness that is the hurt-the anger-the bitterness-the nasty itching. Although there could be other causes for that last one.

If the EOP never exsisted, the first 1,000 cars would have still only gone to 1,000 orders. And under allocation based on sales, many of those disappointed now would still have a simular wait time. Regardless of when you first fell in love with this car. The EOP was a chance for an extra cherry on top of the sundae, not the whole sundae itself.

It is time to move on and concentrate on the remaining 17,000 US units. Congratulations to those that are in the EOP. Sympathy and understanding for those that aren't but wanted to be. When all is said in done, those that stay the course will end up with a great car to drive and a top that goes down.

Since I have fallen into song and movie quotes this week, I end with this line from "Airplane" (to the best of my recall):.......I guess I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue........

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, honestly, I think the main purpose of the EOP was to get the first 1000 in the hands of the average consumer.

Although the execution of their plan left a *lot* to be desired I think that the method that they had in place was a very good method for keeping the cars from just going to dealer's and their family and also scalpers.

The fact is, although you personally are a very truster member of the forum and dealer, a lot of dealerships, small and large, have no problem playing favorites for employees and friends. I'm sure that's a perk to working at a dealership, but they way of the EOP ensured that the cars would make it to the hands of the customers first.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You have my respect, but...

Small Dealer,

You are right, I don't dispute 99% of the points you've made here recently. I respect you a great deal and want to thank you for the info and for being the voice of reason here.

That being said, you might want to be careful how you're presenting yourself here lately. Newcomers see your posts, especially with your forum name, and blow you off as a "company man" just spouting the party line. I don't want to see you tank your own reputation in what promises to be a rapidly expanding forum. I just hope the population maintains the same level of civility that we have had so far. I've seen some posts that concern me since yesterday. (ahhh, I miss the good old days!)

Didn't I say I was going to stop talking about the EOP? Guess I'm not done *healing* yet.

:cheers: :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
10,379 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Small Dealer,

You are right, I don't dispute 99% of the points you've made here recently. I respect you a great deal and want to thank you for the info and for being the voice of reason here.

That being said, you might want to be careful how you're presenting yourself here lately. Newcomers see your posts, especially with your forum name, and blow you off as a "company man" just spouting the party line. I don't want to see you tank your own reputation in what promises to be a rapidly expanding forum. I just hope the population maintains the same level of civility that we have had so far. I've seen some posts that concern me since yesterday. (ahhh, I miss the good old days!)

Didn't I say I was going to stop talking about the EOP? Guess I'm not done *healing* yet.

:cheers: :grouphug:
:agree:
GM needs to move quickly to heel the wounds, or the competition will use it to their advantage.
Remember YOU HAVE NOT DELIVER ANY CARs YET!!!!!
Good Luck GM Marketing arm.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LatinVenom said:
:agree:
GM needs to move quickly to heel the wounds, or the competition will use it to their advantage.
Remember YOU HAVE NOT DELIVER ANY CARs YET!!!!!
Good Luck GM Marketing arm.
And that is one of the possible unnoticed parts of the EOP. GM has everyone's (at least those that accepted wait list status) contact infomation. So if they do decide to make ammends in some way, they will be able to. Lets hope and see what time brings.

·
Premium Member
10,379 Posts
Small Dealer said:
And that is one of the possible unnoticed parts of the EOP. GM has everyone's (at least those that accepted wait list status) contact infomation. So if they do decide to make ammends in some way, they will be able to. Lets hope and see what time brings.
You Small Dealer or Conejo148 also just drop the biggest BOMB to date and that is NO DELIVERY UNTIL 4Q,
Now GM how many of those impulse BUYERS you hook Thursday night with the Apprentice will WAIT for this car UNTIL THE 4Q of this year.
I will repeated a few more times, YOUR SALE FORCE IS RIGHT HERE they have been waiting patiently for a long long time, if YOU keep shooting the messanger there will NOT be anyone to carry it forward and keep it ALIVE, MARKETING RULES 101.
Oh one last thing this is a new world order called the INTERNET, so you better be moving quickly, rather than sending informatiom to your dealer network POST to your WEB SITE and YES to this forum to set the record STRAIGHT, you do not have a lot of time, because if I was MAZDA and VW I would be taking dead aim at your bundagle.
Good Luck.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Great post Small Dealer! I think some perspective is needed. Although there is plenty of dissapointment, and it is understandable, there will be a lot more Solstices made and people should concentrate on getting there place in line for those if they want it ASAP!

GM did botch the EOP program. Servers were overloaded. Some people missed out, while the #2 at their dealer got a car. They should have had a larger number of cars allocated to EOP. This list goes on.

However, what is done is done. GM sees this as a success. Lots of buzz was created, they had 1000 buyers very quickly, they have between 5000 and 20,000 more buyers waiting in the wings. Its a huge marketing success!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Fformula88 said:
However, what is done is done. GM sees this as a success. Lots of buzz was created, they had 1000 buyers very quickly, they have between 5000 and 20,000 more buyers waiting in the wings. Its a huge marketing success!
For now, it just seems there is a marketing blowup going to happen come next week. Once info on delivery date starts to go down the list and everyone figures out on the waitlist their not getting a car in the eop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts