Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
just got my "new" 2006 Solstice and I just love this car!. I've started making some mods and getting familiarized with the vehicle. I'd like to paint the calipers and I have all of the paint and decals as per postings on this forum (very helpful BTW).

I'd like to remove the calipers for painting (but not disconnect the brake hose), just tie them up with a wire hanger, then mask the area before painting.

I've read several postings on the troubles people are having when the rear calipers and removed and the possible re-adjustment to the hand brake, and its got me a bit concerned. I do have the right tool to push the caliper piston back in if it pops out.

However what would be ideal is step-by-step procedures on how to service the rear brakes i.e. pad and rotor replacement as well as hand brake adjustment which I think would cover any issues I might encounter.

I've looked through the postings and the "how-to" sections but I can't seem to find these procedures. Would be great is someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
If you're even moderately mechanically inclined you'll have no problems with it. Soup's links are solid reference points.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Hello All,
just got my "new" 2006 Solstice and I just love this car!. I've started making some mods and getting familiarized with the vehicle. I'd like to paint the calipers and I have all of the paint and decals as per postings on this forum (very helpful BTW).

I'd like to remove the calipers for painting (but not disconnect the brake hose), just tie them up with a wire hanger, then mask the area before painting.

I've read several postings on the troubles people are having when the rear calipers and removed and the possible re-adjustment to the hand brake, and its got me a bit concerned. I do have the right tool to push the caliper piston back in if it pops out.

However what would be ideal is step-by-step procedures on how to service the rear brakes i.e. pad and rotor replacement as well as hand brake adjustment which I think would cover any issues I might encounter.

I've looked through the postings and the "how-to" sections but I can't seem to find these procedures. Would be great is someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
You Tube has been helpful to get a good visualization and a general idea about the components that are involved in many projects. I found that some do leave a few details to the imagination. My personal rules for shad tree work is to be sure one knows their skill limitations and that things will separate to do any repairs. Use a loosen agent like Blaster before trying to get anything loose and let it soak in, especially if a Northern daily driver.

The Calipher Frame has 2 bolts that are 18 mm.
I saw no reason to remove the hand brake or hand brake cable.
The Rotors are held with a retainer screw to the Hub.
The Pads held to the Calipher frame with a Clip.

Spray the moving components, especially rusty areas like the back side of the rotor to loosen rust binding. The calipher frame uses a spring clip to hold the pads and frame in place, it will pry out. Be patient and careful with the spring since it has lots of tension. Have good lighting, the right tools, Allen key, to remove stock the Rotor Retaining Screw. OEM rotor retaining hardware will come out and if you plan to replace the Rotors this is the first thing to remove. The head if it strips, will drill out. Just drill off the head, just enough to remove the rotor, If you do have this trouble it might be available locally or at NAPA for example, with a generic Stainless Steel replacement screw. The OEM calipher did slide out of the frame for me with a little fieness. It saved me time and extra work. Have a yourself a strap or piece of rope ready to hold the Calipher and frame so as to protect the hydralic system from stress. Use good judgement and hopefully you will find this a little helpful.

I found that knowing everything was loose first in my system that had 75,000 miles gave me confidence to proceed. The upgrade to Stop Tech Slotted Rotors and Hawk Pads for example, made a great difference and greatly improved the stopping distance.

Please be safe and always put your vehicle on jack stands when doing any underneath repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts