Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Solstice Base: I knew it could not be as easy as the PDF indcates. How in the world do you access the the rear bolt on the rear deck hinge ? I got a socket on it, but the trunk was just about closed and I was laying inside it. I'm 5'11" 200 pounds so you get the picture...:lol:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
2008 Solstice Base: I knew it could not be as easy as the PDF indcates. How in the world do you access the the rear bolt on the rear deck hinge ? I got a socket on it, but the trunk was just about closed and I was laying inside it. I'm 5'11" 200 pounds so you get the picture...:lol:
Two ways that worked for me:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Two ways that worked for me:

OK. Yeah. I can see how the "step" type wrench might work, but not the JC Penny one. How open was your trunk while you were doing it? On mine, the hinge/trunk has to be almost all the way down for there to be enough of an opening to even see the bolt. I'm right about that, right? It's not real easy to do right? Or is there something I am missing? One does it from the side of the car just like in the PDF picture, right? I should not be balled up in the trunk, right? :willy:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
OK. Yeah. I can see how the "step" type wrench might work, but not the JC Penny one. How open was your trunk while you were doing it? On mine, the hinge/trunk has to be almost all the way down for there to be enough of an opening to even see the bolt. I'm right about that, right? It's not real easy to do right? Or is there something I am missing? One does it from the side of the car just like in the picture, right? I should not be balled up in the trunk, right? :willy:
With the trunk all the way open, I can see both of the rear bolts, feel them and put either of those wrenches on the bolt heads. Also a combination wrench with a slight bend at the end works well also. With all three wrenches I am standing on the garage floor and leaning into the trunck to see the bolt heads.

Yes it's a tight fit, but it's not that bad (and I'm not a mechanic). :dunno:

Note: the jcpenney wrench is a ratcheting wrench.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the trunk all the way open, I can see both of the rear bolts, feel them and put either of those wrenches on the bolt heads. Also a combination wrench with a slight bend at the end works well also. With all three wrenches I am standing on the garage floor and leaning into the trunck to see the bolt heads.

Yes it's a tight fit, but it's not that bad (and I'm not a mechanic). :dunno:

Note: the jcpenney wrench is a ratcheting wrench.

OK. That ratcheting wrench, that goes on different sizes and just grabs or are there inserts for the different sizes?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
OK. That ratcheting wrench, that goes on different sizes and just grabs or are there inserts for the different sizes?
It's a set of 5 wrenches with 2 sizes in each (10 sizes in total). Each end only ratchets one way, flip it over to ratchet the other. I've had them for probably 20 - 30 years, and rarely use them, but sometimes they're the only solution, and it's usually when space is tight and/or lacking.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Now that I've looked at the trunk hinges in the light of day, I see the problem you are having. I tried my ratchet set and couldn't get the correct size (1/2") to go over the head of the bold as there was not enough clearance from the moving part of the hinge. Therefore, an open end wrench is needed. Opened my wrench tool box and found the winner. 1/2" Craftsman combination wrench. I include 2 pics of the open end on the head of the rear hinge bolt.

1 - ratchet wrench set - "on"
2 - ratchet wrench set - "off"
3 - 1/2" combo wrench
4 - 1/2" wrench on the rear hinge bolt
5 - 1/2" wrench on the rear hinge bolt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Yeah. I have Craftsman just like that, but they are metric. I think it was a 12 or 13 I can see that it is possible, so I'll figure it out.

I asked about the inserts because I have a tool something like that, but it is for removing rounded off bolts. Thanks for all your help and the great photos.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pic looks like you have it on the front bolt. Am I right? That one was no problem. It is the rear one I cannot get. THE PDF says to have the rear bolt loose, and the front bolt slack.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. I think I see. Pic 4 and 5. Which one is on the rear? If you look close, you might see why I am confused.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
OK Yeah. I have Craftsman just like that, but they are metric. I think it was a 12 or 13 I can see that it is possible, so I'll figure it out.
Metric 12 is too small and 13 is too big. I know because I tried the metrics first before switching to the inchers.

If the bolt is really tight the 13 may round off the head of the bolt (and then you'd never get it loosened).

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
12mm is .472 inches (under 1/2) and 13mm is .512 inches (just over 1/2). A lot of times a 13 will work on a half inch but as Dave said, 13 can round 'em off!

U.S. cars are always a mixed bag. Most of their fasteners have gone to metric due to selling overseas but some components are still in SAE units.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
12mm is .472 inches (under 1/2) and 13mm is .512 inches (just over 1/2). A lot of times a 13 will work on a half inch but as Dave said, 13 can round 'em off!

U.S. cars are always a mixed bag. Most of their fasteners have gone to metric due to selling overseas but some components are still in SAE units.
So, our cars are a mixture of SAE and Metric Fasteners? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Metric 12 is too small and 13 is too big. I know because I tried the metrics first before switching to the inchers.

If the bolt is really tight the 13 may round off the head of the bolt (and then you'd never get it loosened).
Yeah. It is tight, so I am going with the half inch. BTW, sorry I did not read your post closer. You numbered the pics and
everything. I read it at work and I was in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Stop Me Before I Go Too far

Now that I've looked at the trunk hinges in the light of day, I see the problem you are having. I tried my ratchet set and couldn't get the correct size (1/2") to go over the head of the bold as there was not enough clearance from the moving part of the hinge. Therefore, an open end wrench is needed. Opened my wrench tool box and found the winner. 1/2" Craftsman combination wrench. I include 2 pics of the open end on the head of the rear hinge bolt.

1 - ratchet wrench set - "on"
2 - ratchet wrench set - "off"
3 - 1/2" combo wrench
4 - 1/2" wrench on the rear hinge bolt
5 - 1/2" wrench on the rear hinge bolt
OK I feel better now. Notice the difference between the driver's and passenger side. I am looking at the car from front to back. This is why I could not get a wrench in there. I know I am giving you the shot without the bolt in view, but since it is bent "in" I think you get the idea.

Driver's- Looks pretty good and the tailight meets flush on this side.

Passenger-Clearly it is bent.:willy:

I did not notice it because when fully open it does not look so bad.

I noticed that there were some scrapes on top of the trunk. This is on both sides, but a tad bit worse on the passenger. That is the one I am showing.

Last, here is what it looks like now. The trunk does close, but it takes two tries-unless it is hot out. Heat expands, cold contracts-and all that.

It makes no sense to loosen the bolts until I figure this out, right? I wanted someone to stop me before I got the tire iron out and tried to bend the hinge into place.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Yes, it appears that you have a bent hinge on the passenger side. It also appears that you are missing some plastic pieces of shielding around the hinge area. Pics to follow shortly. I'll edit and attach the pics to this message.

1 - Driver's side hinge
2 - Passenger side hinge
3 - Middle area.

See the plastic shields that aren't in your pics?

Has you car had the rear end repaired for any reason?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it appears that you have a bent hinge on the passenger side. It also appears that you are missing some plastic pieces of shielding around the hinge area. Pics to follow shortly. I'll edit and attach the pics to this message.

1 - Driver's side hinge
2 - Passenger side hinge
3 - Middle area.

See the plastic shields that aren't in your pics?

Has you car had the rear end repaired for any reason?
Not according to CarFax or the used car dealer-but I did have them send it to a GM Dealer to "adjust" the trunk. It was not closing at all without really slamming it. I will study the plastic pieces, but what would you do about a bent hinge? Would you try the adjustments and hope for the best, or just leave it alone?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Not according to CarFax or the used car dealer-but I did have them send it to a GM Dealer to "adjust" the trunk. It was not closing at all without really slamming it. I will study the plastic pieces, but what would you do about a bent hinge? Would you try the adjustments and hope for the best, or just leave it alone?
I'd replace it, or have it replaced, assuming that everything else is nice, straight and in alignment.

Brand new, the hinge is going to set you back between $30 - $40, depending on where you get it.

Getting the trunk alignment squared away when all the parts are withing spec is hard enough, with parts bent, it might be impossible.

You could try to bend the hinge back to its original shape, but I wouldn't attempt it without removing it completely from the car.

M67 REAR COMPARTMENT HARDWARE PART 1;. Fits: 2007 Pontiac Solstice | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd replace it, or have it replaced, assuming that everything else is nice, straight and in alignment.

Brand new, the hinge is going to set you back between $30 - $40, depending on where you get it.

Getting the trunk alignment squared away when all the parts are withing spec is hard enough, with parts bent, it might be impossible.

You could try to bend the hinge back to its original shape, but I wouldn't attempt it without removing it completely from the car.

M67 REAR COMPARTMENT HARDWARE PART 1;. Fits: 2007 Pontiac Solstice | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick
OK. Replacing the hinge is a no brainer. Thanks for the link... So have you ever taken a trunk off, because that's the only way I can imagine you change it. I would guess it takes two people and you do it by removing the bolts from the hinge to the top of the trunk, right? Any wires attached or anything?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts