Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i noticed that my car had been making awful grinding sounds when I turn or reverse. I wasn't sure what It was so I took it to the mechanic.The mechanic informed me that there might be a problem with my rear differential. I decided that I wanted a second opinion so I will be taking my car to a certified pontiac dealer and see if they can diagnose the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? and if turns out to be that problem how much should i be expecting to pay for the repair ? By the way i drive a 2007 solstice and its no longer under warranty :(.... And does anyone know what this real axle pinion recall is about ?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Welcome to the forum. you are likely to get some replies, but if you do a quick search, you will find plenty of discussion on rear Diffs for the early years.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
May just need new lube and limited slip additive.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This is what I would do.

Go to an autoparts store and buy this.
Champion Brands 4285V - Limited Slip Differential Additive | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Go to a lube shop and ask them to check your rear differential fluid level, and add the bottle of additive.

I recently experienced the "grinding/grabbing" during turning after changing my differential fluid. I used a synthetic fluid which was "supposed" to not need additive. Turns out it does. After adding this additive, the grinding went away within a few days. If you want to be extra safe, you might want to get the GM brand additive at a dealer instead of the champion brand.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
So i noticed that my car had been making awful grinding sounds when I turn or reverse. I wasn't sure what It was so I took it to the mechanic.The mechanic informed me that there might be a problem with my rear differential. I decided that I wanted a second opinion so I will be taking my car to a certified pontiac dealer and see if they can diagnose the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? and if turns out to be that problem how much should i be expecting to pay for the repair ? By the way i drive a 2007 solstice and its no longer under warranty :(.... And does anyone know what this real axle pinion recall is about ?
There is a pinion seal recall on the 07s (the seal on the front of the dif). I have found that going to a dealer that was a former Pontiac dealer is your best bet. Techs that have experience working on these cars and racking them correctly. My dif on my 09 coupe was grunting on slow turns. One dealer told me thats normal, I knew it was the clutch packs. I ended up getting a complete dif assy. The posi additives are synthetic nowadays. The good stuff was the whale oil (still have a couple bottles in my garage, VERY stinky stuff). Once the clutches start grunting or chattering there're toast. Also new clutches must soak in posi additive before installing.:jm2c:

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's often said the problem is with the earlier cars and corrected in later cars.

Not so. My 09 Coupe had the problem.

Dealer said to first change to a different lube GM calls for, which he did. Noise went away for a few months, thought the problem solved. Then it came back, diff was swapped out under warranty.

He said changing the lube only permanently solves the problem about half the time. About half of the cars wind up getting a new diff.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the same problem with my early '06. Every time the diff. fluid and modifier are changed its good for another 10,000 km. Warranty wouldn't help me because they said they fixed the problem, but it came back after the warranty expired!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2006 Solstice (942 of 1000): crunching/grinding sounds from the rear axle when turning. Low miles on the car; only 16K.

Would the Limited Slip Differential Additive possibly work in this case? The performance isn't affected by this noise, it's just bothersome, and noticeable, to passengers.

I took the car into my neighborhood mechanic and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Argh! Anyone know of a local Solstice mechanic near North Hollywood, CA?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue. Purchased the GM fluid with additive, drained the old fluid, thin as water, replaced it with the new fluid with additive and no more grinding. Just completed this today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but since it has been while I was wondering if any of you that had the rear differential replaced could comment on your experience. And, any of you that solved your noise problems without replacing the entire assembly.

I have Solstice GXP 07 with only 8,300 original miles. I have been complaining about the noise since 1,000 miles. Finally, after the warranty ran out and they did 3 or 4 things that did not get rid of the noise, they decided to change the rear diff fluid ($150), which got rid of the noise for 500 miles. Now, the noise is back and they say I need a new differential because a diff is NOT serviceable, and it will cost me $2500. This is really crazy, I have been telling them for 6 years about the noise, they figure it out when the warranty expires! All comments and advice are welcome!
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I need to see if they will pay. They have not actually started the work yet, so I need to call them first I suppose. I am wondering how many people actually have had to replace theirs?.......I have one of the first 07 GXP Automatic transmission off the assembly line, so I am wondering if my car along with the other first-made 07's have the 2006 bad differentials in them?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Do you have any documentation that you told the service department about this ? I'm not sure if GM still has zone managers they could be called something else but a few years ago I had an issue with a camshaft in a GMC truck I owned (it would not idle smooth) .I took it back to the dealer a few times and finally to a friend you told me a couple lobes on the cam were bad . To make a long story short the repair bill was over $800.00 which I refused to pay .They got ahold of the zone manager who looked at the documentation I had and even though the truck was out of warranty the problem was reported while still in warranty and the dealer had not corrected it so they ended up paying for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sting Ya,
That is really good to hear! Yes, I have 6 service receipts, all 6 times I complained, but they only documented it on 4 of the receipts. But, that's still 4 times of documentation where I said "This car makes grinding noises when I turn at low speed and when I put it in reverse"
I will keep this in mind on Monday when I talk to the dealer. I took it to a new dealer this time, and the Gen Manager seems a little more educated on Solstice than the actual dealer I had been taking it to (the one that I originally bought it at). So, this new dealer actually implied that the other dealer "should have caught this problem long ago".
Thank you for the information! Glad you got some help, hope it works for me too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the grinding sound at low speeds too. I drained the diff & re-filled with Royal Purple. No issues since then. I do get an occasional sound when things are cold, but not after they warm up. I'd try the drain & fill first. You can get Royal Purple at most good parts stores. As far as meeting GM specs as best I could find in my research is that it does. Me is happy, let me know if I can be of further help! Yes I have a 2007 Base with the Limited Slip & automatic. Added Hahn turbo & no diff issues.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Don't want to step on any ones toes but at this point I would not try the Royal Purple fix your problem is obviously a warranty issue and as such if you change out the diff. fluid the dealer can come back and say you did not use the recommended product (even though Royal Purple is probably better) and have voided your warranty .One thing you have to remember is that warranty work gets cross charged back to GM and at this point in time with all the bad press GM is getting I believe you have even more leverage plus the fact that your car only has 8000 plus miles on it and once again the problem has been documented since the car had 1000 miles on it .

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are soooooo sharp Sting, did see the warranty was still active. So as you state it would be best to stick with the GM fluid & Friction Modifier! But if out of Warranty I'd try the RP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts