Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just recently purchased a 2007 Pontiac solstice. 2.4l manual transmission. I got the car at cheap price because it is having rear differential problems. My question is if my differential doesn’t have the g80 limited slip option, can I purchase one with that option and will it be a direct bolt in swap? Again car is 2007 solstice 2.4l with manual trans 3.91 ratio without limited slip. Thanks Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Hello. I just recently purchased a 2007 Pontiac solstice. 2.4l manual transmission. I got the car at cheap price because it is having rear differential problems. My question is if my differential doesn’t have the g80 limited slip option, can I purchase one with that option and will it be a direct bolt in swap? Again car is 2007 solstice 2.4l with manual trans 3.91 ratio without limited slip. Thanks Scott
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, as long as the ratios (and in some cases the mounting styles) match you can do a direct swap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Like I said I’m new to this so what do I need to look for to be 100% sure before I make purchase and not a $1000 mistake. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
There were two different cases used, one with an integral front mount and another with a bolt-on mount.

Cars with turbos (RL Sky and GXP Solstice) have a torque arm fitted between the transmission and drive axle (differential) that the 2.4 liter cars did not have, at least at the beginning. I'm sure someone will correct me about the torque arm on the 2.4s.

My 2007 2.4 does not have a torque arm and has the integral mount. You can look at yours to determine what you have. Assuming that you have the integral mount you will have to make sure that your replacement comes with a mount, otherwise it doesn't matter.

It wouldn't hurt to keep your eye out here for more or better information before spending your money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you. I’ve only been under the car one time and I don’t remember off the top of my head if it had integral mount or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran my VIN with gm parts and found a part number according to my VIN that will work, unfortunately it is not the same part number for the new ones I found for sale on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't give you better information, but there are members who will be able to. @Hoosier GXP has had his hands on just about every variety of kappa built, and may even have the parts you need. With luck he will post here and give you some good information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey you’ve been a help and I appreciate it! I did find one according to my VIN that will work, it’s brand new in the box so I purchased it. It should be here and ready to be swapped out next weekend and I’ll post the results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts