Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't heard this mentioned, but after looking at the picture gallery for the 4x10^6th time (I don't think I alone on this) I have hypothesized that the rear bumper honeycomb detail will be an absolute pain in the arse to clean. In my experience the underside of the rear bumper is the dirtiest part of the painted exterior of a car, and the Solstice has a near perfect dirt catcher right in the middle of it. Sure, a toilet brush would make quick work of grime in the combs, but a casual towel or sponge wash isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Replace It

I will be replacing both the front and rear grills with wire mesh grills, they are much easier to keep clean and they look oh so good! Thats assuming i dont have to dismantle half the car to get the existing grills out.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think you're right - in fact, what I'm also concerned about is the rear end "bluntness" in general.

I've noticed that the rear end of the Z4, several 'vettes, and other short tailed cars (esp. roadsters) tend to get VERY dirty. My hypothesis is that the flow of air around the backside of short tailed cars isn't as clean as it could be. The few Solstices I've seen here in MI have been quite dirty around the backside of the trunk and bumper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ambient said:
I will be replacing both the front and rear grills with wire mesh grills, they are much easier to keep clean and they look oh so good! Thats assuming i dont have to dismantle half the car to get the existing grills out.
My inital reaction was to sand it, fill it and paint it. However, I don't think that is practical. A black mesh grill on the front would look fantastic, but if you look here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=365&sort=2&size=medium&cat=3021&page=1

you can see that the rear 'comb is part of the bumper. You could dremmel it out and replace it with mesh, but I would like to see what's behind it first. Most likey a plastic energy absorbing sub-bumper like this:

http://www.edsanders.com/saturn/jul30055.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm hoping the back diffuser and front grill will be some of the parts GM Accessories will be making replacements for. Something more functional, and a lot sportier looking. Of course, hopefully easier to clean too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm not going to worry about it that much. Just clean the top surface of the mesh in the usual manner and don't so obsessive about the inside of each little hole. Soon it will look like a black mesh with silver highlight! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chensles, I never noticed that is is part of the bumper. That will quickly look very bad. Guess we will have to wait and see what we can do to fill it or cap it off somehow. It does how ever look like a aftermarket body part could easisly replace the entire piece. I would like to see a centered exhaust pipe like on the original concept, might be able to achive this a new free flow catback system(maybe).

·
Registered
270 Posts
On one of the earlier posted pictures, (I think one of Brentils), it appeared the rear grill was separate as you could see the attachment screws. Another shows it as being part of the bumper. I would think if Pontiac were thinking of offering custom grills they'd have thought of the rear one as well but maybe not. I envision lots of swearing for those that wash and detail their own cars.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
On one of the earlier posted pictures, (I think one of Brentils), it appeared the rear grill was separate as you could see the attachment screws. Another shows it as being part of the bumper. I would think if Pontiac were thinking of offering custom grills they'd have thought of the rear one as well but maybe not. I envision lots of swearing for those that wash and detail their own cars.
Yeah, this image here shows the grill as being screwed on. And that entire section is part of the bumper except for the grill which is screwed onto the bumper.

http://solstice.inner-ninja.com/5MP-DSC01617.JPG

However if you look at newer images of cars from more recent car shows they've greatly changed it. If you look at the image below the plastic grey area is attached via anchors to the metal skin now and the grill is part of this plastic diffuser. This is what leads me to believe that we'll see GM Accessories for this eventually.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=365&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
At least if you pay someone to detail it for you, they will have to earn their money cleaning out all the honeycomb!

It may not be so bad. A good blast with the hose, and maybe a decent auto bristle brush (soft bristles) should do the trick for most dirt in the honeycomb. What will get annoying is drying it off, if you want to avoid waterspots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fformula88 said:
At least if you pay someone to detail it for you, they will have to earn their money cleaning out all the honeycomb!

It may not be so bad. A good blast with the hose, and maybe a decent auto bristle brush (soft bristles) should do the trick for most dirt in the honeycomb. What will get annoying is drying it off, if you want to avoid waterspots.
Ouch, the water spots. I forgot about those. My WRX used to drip water onto the bumper from around the trunk lid like no one's buisiness. Drying the car went like this: open trunk, wipe, slam trunk, open trunk, wipe...etc. You are going to need an air hose to blow the water out of the 'combs. OR maybe spraying some rain-X on them. (If it didn't melt the plastic)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
brentil said:
However if you look at newer images of cars from more recent car shows they've greatly changed it. If you look at the image below the plastic grey area is attached via anchors to the metal skin now and the grill is part of this plastic diffuser. This is what leads me to believe that we'll see GM Accessories for this eventually.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=365&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021
Great picture... My pics from the NAIAS don't show those attachements well since the car was up on an angle and you couldn't get very close to it at all.

You've got the standard 10mm screw on the end, and what appears to be the "christmas tree" plastic plugs that run along the center. An aftermarket piece would be easy to install then.

Only problem is that you'll have the muffler showing across the back bumper if you open up the honeycomb now... wonder if that's part of the reason it's closed so you can't see through.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
rlhammon said:
Only problem is that you'll have the muffler showing across the back bumper if you open up the honeycomb now... wonder if that's part of the reason it's closed so you can't see through.
I think it actually covers the foam that makes up a modern bumper assembly. I think the honeycomb cover is purely a styling feature, and if you were to remove it or open up the holes, you'd just see white foam.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
AeroDave said:
I think it actually covers the foam that makes up a modern bumper assembly. I think the honeycomb cover is purely a styling feature, and if you were to remove it or open up the holes, you'd just see white foam.
I thought that at first, but after looking at the pictures again I think the foam (impact absorbers) is higher up and that they wouldn't extend down that far until the rear facia. Just my thought, as you wouldn't put the absorber material where it wouldn't get hit, and I don't think the honeycomb is in the area you would expect contact (ie. not the furthest point back in the car).

I'd have to see a good side pic and I haven't gone through the gallery to do that, but that was my thought and reason on the last post.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Spray Nine and a soft bristled brush should make quick work of it. Dry it with compressed air. 5 minute job and no sweat.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
With a car like the Solstice, I would enjoy cleaning it as much as driving it.

This will be a fair weather car only. I hope that when I`m in my 70s in 30 years, one of my two sons will take it over with the same interest. Mitch :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Looking at the later pictures, I've noticed that a center exhaust is very do-able. (is that a word?)

If an aftermarket manufacturer wanted to offer one, all he'd need is a new piece to replace the honeycomb part, with the appropriate exhaust cutout, and a replacement muffler with exhaust ports out the side instead of the end.

That's probably not the best muffler design, but it would be good looking.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts